THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    First trip on emirates thru dubai

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First trip on emirates thru dubai
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We flew out of washington dulles Tuesday morning on emirates first class to dubai where we are doing the one day layover. All was great, plane was fantastic, airport quick and easy. Rifle thing was quite cumbersome and not easy.
Both of us got one bag at the baggage carousel. We did mot expect our rifles to come out there, nor our bag with ammo. But there was nobody to tell us where that would be. We went to lost baggage then to customs and then to lost baggage again. Finally somebody told us to clear customs go out o customs and to the police station. Nobody offered to tale us there It is on a different floor of airport. We found it after some asking. At first the police did mot know anything and then after getting a supervisor they said they had our rifles and bags and would put them on plane tomorrow. I am going back to police station tomorrow before checking in to verify. I found the SAA airport far easier in the regard of dealing with rifles.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You do not get to see your rifles if you are in transit at Dubai airport.

They collect them, store them, then put them on your next flight.

Anyone who told you otherwise was wrong.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, correct. I understood that. Biggest issue was not knowing where to go or what to do. And nobody seemed to know at airport either.
I will double check upon our exit in the morning prior to.
We come back thru july 22 for three days, at least I will know what to do next time

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Your travel agent should have explained that you check in your guns at home, and only get them at your destination.

The police handle all firearms at Dubai airport, and the system seems to work fine so far.

I personally do not like some destinations where you have to receive your guns nd then check them in gain.

I hope everything works out for you, as it should.

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I believe it will be dine, just miscommunication

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent,
We'veflown thru Dubai several times, including flights with the long layover. You shouldn't be concerned about your rifle, when you present your boarding pass to leave Dubai the gate agent will verify that your "special item" is on the plane before you are allowed to board.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We did not layover in Dubai on a recent flight w/ Emirates but all of our baggage/guns arrived in JBurg with us, unlike last several flights on Delta/SAA. I pray I never have to use Delta again although maybe their faucets are ok.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

I am doing the same as Brent. I depart Houston on Emirates Monday Aug 12 to Dubai then JNB. I have a 3 day layover in Dubai before flying to JNB.

In Houston do you check your guncase and bag containing ammo to Dubai and the deal with the police there or do you tell the folks in Houston to check it all the way to JNB and the police just automatically claim the bags and hold them till I depart Dubai??

This is my first time taking this route and I am very confused about how all this works in Dubai.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You check your rifles all the way to Joberg.

Emirates will arrange this for you - I am assuming you have gotten their approval for the carriage of firearms.