Find
Notify
Tools

Iridium Go!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted
Curious, has anyone used this device? It's a portable wifi device (100ft. range) allowing you to use your existing smartphone for calls, texts, and simple photo sharing (via app). Looking at this option versus traditional sat phone for trip to Zim next week. Haven't looked into data plans yet.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on picking one up this week, they look like a pretty slick unit. I'll be taking it to Moz this fall and I'll report back how it worked. I'm hoping it will replace my sat phone and Delmore Inreach.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Joe Smithson is in south America right now sending me points on every days hunt route

in a text to my iPhone which opens up to a google map feature displaying multiple route points

the thing works amazing

interesting to see which river systems he is traveling each day

dam slick unit I say and affordable

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Delorme inreach has been out for quite awhile. It's the same thing, except 2.0 is out now. Both use iridium network. I would look at it too

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
The Delorme unit requires a sat phone while the Iridium Go! allows one to use their smart phone to place calls. With the Go!, I have a 4x3x1" unit along with my iPhone, much more compact to travel with. You need to download 2 apps to call/email/text and another to surf the internet (though admittedly super slow). I'll post a review upon my return.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you read the Delorme requires a sat phone. It does not. It is a stand alone device AND it can optionally be paired via bluetooth to your smartphone.
It does not allow voice calls, however. Just text messages. I think that is our confusion.

The Go is a wifi hotspot for your devices. Think of the InReach as a satellite texting device.

The Delorme is cheaper than the Iridium, esp for occasional use. The prepaid go plans 500/ six months or 750/year. The delorme unit has a plan that is only $25 per year and $15 per month only for the month you use it. Or $12 per month subscription for unlimited preset messages and 10 text messages.

If I were conducting business internationally and needed data, the Go sounds perfect.
If texting the wife to let her know everything is okay, the InReach would be much much cheaper.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems that this has to be paired to a smart phone... I'd much rather have a Delorme Inreach (newer models).

although once paired up this does seem to give you a few more features. not sure if they are needed. If you simply want to send messages and have an SOS feature DeLorme InReach SE is the way to go (and much cheaper)

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Sorry, let me clarify my comment. A sat phone is still required to make calls if using the Delorme product. With the GO, you can use your smartphone, again to make calls. The intriguing part of the GO is you don't need a sat phone to make calls.

Beau

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a GO this week and have quickly and easly got the hang of it. So far I like it a lot.

I paired it with my iPhone and an iPad which required a couple free apps, set up was quick and easy. Sending and receiving texts and emails through the GO is fairly fast and has worked flawlessly.

The GO basically works like a cell tower to connect your device up to a satellite. You can be up to 100' feet away for it to work, and up to 5 different devices can work off of it at one time through WiFi.

I purchased a global SIM card with a block of minutes on it, if needed I can easily add extra time to it. Sending texts up to 150 characters takes 1/2 a minute of airtime, and receiving texts/emails uses no airtime on the card.

Phone calls with the iPhone via satellite are clear and work as well as my Iridium 9555. The GO comes with its own phone number which goes straight to the iPhone/smartphone.

Sending data is a slow. I wouldn't want to be sending any high res photo's but something in low res would be okay in a pinch. I was told new satellites are going up in 2015 that will greatly increase data speed.

There are other options on the GO like sending location points, S.O.S. signal and such. Location points are pretty cool, my boys will enjoy tracking me in the bush while I'm in Africa.

My Delmore inReach and Iridium 9555 phone have now been replaced and won't be making the trip to Moz.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
I picked up a GO this week and have quickly and easly got the hang of it. So far I like it a lot.

I paired it with my iPhone and an iPad which required a couple free apps, set up was quick and easy. Sending and receiving texts and emails through the GO is fairly fast and has worked flawlessly.

The GO basically works like a cell tower to connect your device up to a satellite. You can be up to 100' feet away for it to work, and up to 5 different devices can work off of it at one time through WiFi.

I purchased a global SIM card with a block of minutes on it, if needed I can easily add extra time to it. Sending texts up to 150 characters takes 1/2 a minute of airtime, and receiving texts/emails uses no airtime on the card.

Phone calls with the iPhone via satellite are clear and work as well as my Iridium 9555. The GO comes with its own phone number which goes straight to the iPhone/smartphone.

Sending data is a slow. I wouldn't want to be sending any high res photo's but something in low res would be okay in a pinch. I was told new satellites are going up in 2015 that will greatly increase data speed.

There are other options on the GO like sending location points, S.O.S. signal and such. Location points are pretty cool, my boys will enjoy tracking me in the bush while I'm in Africa.

My Delmore inReach and Iridium 9555 phone have now been replaced and won't be making the trip to Moz.

Do the SIM card's minutes expire? What I looked at from Explorer Satellite only had a monthly fee for minutes, starting at 50.00 a month. That didn't work out for as little as I'd use it.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on which provider to purchase an Iridium Go from. I looked on Iridiums website and they had about ten different vendors.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
Do the SIM card's minutes expire? What I looked at from Explorer Satellite only had a monthly fee for minutes, starting at 50.00 a month. That didn't work out for as little as I'd use it.

The SIM card I bought expires one year from the day it's activated. You can purchase 1,2, or 3 month cards with different number of minutes, depending on what you need. Many different choices on the cards.

I bought my GO and SIM card from 'Canadian Satellite' in Calgary. They have always giving me great service. They're a small shop but seem to have great stock. The SIM card for the GO is the same one used in sat phones and can be interchanged. They have all the prices on there web site. http://www.canadasatellite.ca