New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last minute preparations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am departing for Namibia on july 1- and have made all the checks and double checks i can think of. Anything above and beyond the following travel items i may want to review?
1) itineraries are checked and confirmed
2) SA rifle permits are prepared and approved (Afton house)
3) passports are current w/ plenty of pages
4) afton house has my itinerary
5) my outfitter has my itineraries as well

is there anything i may have missed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably. I always forget something I later need. Things forgotten in the recent past: Sunscreen; dental floss; fingernail clippers; enough reading material (but that was only because I sat on a leopard 13 times); rubber snake (fishing twine for rubber snake).

Seriously, I make a copy of all of my firearms permits, 4457's, etc. and put one in the guncase and an extra copy in my carryon. I've had to give them to airlines people and authorities, so I like a copy. I do them in color and you can't tell a copy from an original.

I also put all my cameras and optics (other than rifle scopes) in my carryon and carry one full set of hunting clothes in the carryon, just in case.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, got all the smalls dialed in and packed- pain killers, fresh contacts, sunglasss etc. cameras and chrgers and binoculars all in my day pack as carry on. A set of clothes i can hunt in in case they lose our bags. All set there.
My first trip tonZim i didn't get my bags for 6 days. Fortunately my ph was full grown and i could borrow a set of hunting clothes.
I'm only mildly concerned about missing any important documents. My wifes a worry wart and will drive me crazy for the next week if i show even a tiny bit of concern about not having everything planned perfectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider scanning any important documents (4457, licenses, passport info page, outfitter letters, etc) and then email them to yourself. That way you have access to copies anywhere you have an Internet connection (which nowadays is basically everywhere).

Have a great hunt!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you're going to Namibia then I'd recommend filling out the Namibia Temporary Import Gun Permit ahead of time to save you time in the airport.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Wear a pair or boots that you use for hunting. Pack a pair or casual shoes and slippers in your carry on along with a complete change of clothes suitable for hunting. Once on the plane remove the hunting boots and wear the slippers. Don't forget some Ambien so you can get some sleep on the plane.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fist full of dollar notes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you tell your credit card company you may charge something over there?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Windhoek as been getting down into the mid 30's at night (as in Fahrenheit) and the north country has been in the low 40's at times. It is only going to get colder from here on out.

Also, make sure you have adapter plugs for all your electronic stuff - https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
If bringing $US to pay trophy fees, especially US $100's, bring new crisp bills,the ones with the imbedded strips in them. Some shops won't take older bills. Also, if you'll be using your US credit cards to pay for gas, make sure your card has the imbedded chip, or it won't work at their filling stations. Last but not least, make sure you stop at Joe's Beer House in Windhoek for a meal. I highly recommend the "Double Trouble Burger" there, washed down with a few Tafel Lager beers.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What has generally been said above. In addition, I always carry a regular white binder with copies of all of my documentation and itineraries in there. I also have a standard packing list for Africa that I customize for each trip, and I go through and check and re-check things off as I pack. My documentation also includes copies of all pertinent firearms and travel regs, including anything relating to that specific country, just in case I have any issues. As for money, you'll likely want to exchange some USD at the airport in Windhoek for some Namibian money, as we always do so at the instruction of our PHs, since it then makes it so much easier for sundry purchases while in Namibia. Have fun! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good tip on the fresh $100's- I'd have taken whatever they gave me at the bank.
Another good one on the boots- I'll pack my keens and some wool socks and switch them out. They'll
pack much easier than my lowas.
Everything else seems to be done and done. About the toughest thing I have to do now is select a couple dozen cigars from the humidor. Man o war armadas and drew estate natural are my essentials!

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Don't forget any meds you take...or might want to.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In addition to the helpful tips already offered, I'd add a nylon money belt. The one I have is nylon webbing with a plastic buckle, so you don't need to take it off when going through airport checkpoints. If you fold $100 US bills into fourths, it will hold $2800 and is completely invisible. They cost around $21.00 US on Amazon. Here's a link:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/all...ey-belt/d/1122_cl_-1

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
If you're going to Namibia then I'd recommend filling out the Namibia Temporary Import Gun Permit ahead of time to save you time in the airport.

This!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have them filled out ahead of time in regards to any country that I am hunting in. However, you can have them filled out, but it really depends on where in the Queue you end up, as they still have to check your rifles before signing the permit. I had them filled out for Namibia last year, but we got stuck in the Queue behind some others and they didn't have theirs filled out. We had to wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, i have all my forms filled out, extra copies stored away. We should be in good shape.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Pack the correct voltage converter

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check all your powerpacks as most are designed for 110 and 220. I've never needed or used a converter, just a plug adapter.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
In addition to the helpful tips already offered, I'd add a nylon money belt. The one I have is nylon webbing with a plastic buckle, so you don't need to take it off when going through airport checkpoints. If you fold $100 US bills into fourths, it will hold $2800 and is completely invisible. They cost around $21.00 US on Amazon. Here's a link:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/all...ey-belt/d/1122_cl_-1

I've always used money belts in the past, but with the new full-body scanners, I'm surprised the TSA doesn't catch you??? I have some old scar tissue on my shoulder that gets the attention of TSA everytime I go through a full-body scanner.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote