THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Transiting Addis Ababa with guns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transiting Addis Ababa with guns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm looking to use Star Alliance air miles from Los Angeles to Windhoek next year and this year they had some great deals on Ethiopian Airlines; (LAX to IAD through Addis Ababa to Windhoek).

I see that Ethiopian Airlines has procedures in place to check sporting arms but does anyone know if they let United check the guns all the way through from LAX to WDH?

Thanks for any information.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
@Fjold. Check to see if United have a baggage handling agreement in place.
If both are Star Alliance members they should.
I am flying Ethiopian to Windhoek next month.
Great prices and only one stopover.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll do that. Please let me know how they treat you in Addis Ababa with guns if you bring one.

Thanks,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of acteon
posted Hide Post
TRANSITing via Addis airport with guns is no problem providing they are checked-in up to your final destination (Windhoek). I often fly Ethiopian from Paris (France)to Windhoek, Entebbe and Vic. Falls without any trouble,after having declared guns details to the airline when booking.

Posts: 43 | Location: Sologne, France | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I've been on the phone twice with United and no one seems to know what a baggage handling agreement is.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Thanks,

I've been on the phone twice with United and no one seems to know what a baggage handling agreement is.

All United knows is how to mishandle defiant closeted homosexual drug abusing physicians

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
quote:
Thanks,

All United knows is how to mishandle defiant closeted homosexual drug abusing physicians

I have to respectfully disagree. United knows how to kill animals.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll do that. Please let me know how they treat you in Addis Ababa with guns if you bring one.

Thanks,

Will do.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
@fjold, safely there and back. We passed through Adis Ababa with very little grief.
When we presented to board the plane we were asked to step aside until all four of us were together. A gentleman then took us downstairs and into baggage handling where we had to open our cases and verify the rifles serial numbers.
Same procedure on the way back.
We also had to fill out some disclaimer forms in triplicate (very simple) beforehand.
It was no big deal.
However my 2 scopes were severely out of kilter when checking them morning of day 1. That can happen with any airline I suppose.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:
@fjold, safely there and back. We passed through Adis Ababa with very little grief.
When we presented to board the plane we were asked to step aside until all four of us were together. A gentleman then took us downstairs and into baggage handling where we had to open our cases and verify the rifles serial numbers.
Same procedure on the way back.
We also had to fill out some disclaimer forms in triplicate (very simple) beforehand.
It was no big deal.
However my 2 scopes were severely out of kilter when checking them morning of day 1. That can happen with any airline I suppose.

Thanks for the information.

I forgot to check on your response until today. Is there anyway to get the forms required beforehand or do you have to wait until you actually get in the airport there?

It looks like I'll be flying through there next April.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I emailed the local office and they sent them to me in a PDF which we printed off.
Next April ? We might be on the same flight !

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank,

I emailed the local office and they sent them to me in a PDF which we printed off.
Next April ? We might be on the same flight !

The flight that I'm that looking at has a layover in Dublin so I'll let you know when as I get closer.

On the forms: what "local office" did you email, the airline? If you still have the form I'd appreciate a copy to see.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Well I am morally obliged to buy you a pint of Guinness if possible or a glass of Jameson Caskmate if you are not stuck airside.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I am morally obliged to buy you a pint of Guinness if possible or a glass of Jameson Caskmate if you are not stuck airside.

They say that the lay over is only one hour for refueling but that may be enough time. beer

I know that we are going to have to hit the Duty Free shop in Dublin as the choices for whisky and cigars may be limited in Addis Ababa and I don't remember being able to buy anything in Windhoek on arrival.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Whiskey we have aplenty. Don’t buy your cigars in Dublin airport however. Tobacco products here are banned from public display so there is no humidor

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whiskey we have aplenty. Don’t buy your cigars in Dublin airport however. Tobacco products here are banned from public display so there is no humidor

Thanks, good to know. New Zealand is the same way.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Transiting Addis Ababa with guns

Has recently Somebody transited Addis Ababa with Guns and have a First Hand report. Thanks for your Help.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas