THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Transitting to Johannesburg via Istanbul

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transitting to Johannesburg via Istanbul
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
I am thinking of taking Turkish Airlines to RSA next summer via a change of planes in Istanbul (LAX - IST- JRB).

Anyone know if there are any regulations regarding transfer of firearms similar to Heathrow or Amsterdam?

So far talked to two people at THY, but they were not sure for transfers.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have passed thru IST enroute to Serbia with firearms with no issues and no special requirements.. My rifle was checked straight thru on Turkish airways

Turkish requires notification prior to departure that you are transporting firearms is all I am aware of..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have enough miles on THY for roundtrip business class tickets to RSA so definitely wanted to use them. Not to mention the business class lounge at the new Istanbul airport is really nice for the layover.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah... No complaints about Turkish Business class or the new lounge! Will be sitting in it in a week myself :-)

They have always been good with firearms as well - other than the extra fees they charge, but that is all European carriers... :-(

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I believe you have to make a request to carry a firearm and get it authorized ahead of time. I think they replied back to me the next day. They also have a smaller than average dimension for Sporting Baggage even for First class. I purchased a smaller Single Gun case to comply even thou I was in First Class. To my knowledge they never measured the case?

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
You have to make a "reservation" and that is what they call it.. at least 24hrs in advance for your firearm. Then when you check in you will pay the weapons fee (varies depending on where you are going) and you are all set.

I am not aware of any issues with a normal sized rifle case and even when they make you check the ammo separate they do not charge any extra baggage fees..

I just flew Turkish and Lufthansa last week - same deal for both... make a reservation 24 hrs in advance.. I had changed my flight and failed to make a reservation with Lufthansa - the service desk was able to take care of it on the spot for me.. Leaving Europe to US was 30 Euro..