New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zanzibar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going on a Masailand hunt next year and taking my wife the first time to Africa. Apart from the Arusha & Crater thing we like to spend a few days in Zanzibar. Would anyone have any tips for a good iconic hotel in the old part of town etc. Much appreciated. Also we are staying in the Crater Lodge, it looks very nice. Has anyone stayed there also ?

Thanks in advance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the crater lodge last month with my wife. It was nice, but not five star.....the buffets where at best average.

The views where incredible!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I just had this discussion a couple hours ago over dinner. I was told that Mafia Island is a much nicer option. And, you can swim with whale sharks, which would be pretty cool

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I just had this discussion a couple hours ago over dinner. I was told that Mafia Island is a much nicer option. And, you can swim with whale sharks, which would be pretty cool
'

Depends what you are interested in. Zanzibar has a lot more history and culture, but is over touristy and very similar to the Caribbean in the level of harassment- you are constantly getting bombarded by people trying to sell you something. Mafia is more remote and less crowded. The whale sharks are not there all the time, they are migratory so you have to time it correctly.

If you go to Zanzibar, I would suggest only a day or two in Stonetown, then head a bit further afield for beach/relaxation.

Kilwa is 5 hours south of Dar on the mainland, and is remote, beautiful and has ruins/ a bit of history.

PM me if you want specific suggestions.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to Stay in the old part of Stone town I recommend the http://jafferjihouse.net/
You surely will enjoy it.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do you know what ZANZIBAR means?

It comes from the Arabic ZANJIBAR.

Which means THE LAND OF THE NEGROS.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does the word: Baltimore from what I've
been told.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
So does the word: Baltimore from what I've
been told.

George

Now... THAT’S FUNNY!

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

And was the largest, most important slave market on the East African coast.

Bagamoyo, which is the closest township between mainland and the northern tip of Zanzibar, was the main "transit stop" for the slaves destined mainly for the Omani market.

All others (rejects) were probably sent to Baltimore. Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks Great ! Thank you very much !

quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
If you really want to Stay in the old part of Stone town I recommend the http://jafferjihouse.net/

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
AB109,
You will have a great trip, we did the same trip/safari a few years

ago, it remains one of my favorite vacations!

Here’s the link to my hunt report if it helps,

http://forums.accuratereloadin...251088312#5251088312

Safe travels!

Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much MBOGA BIGA BWANA for recommending Jafferji House in Zanzibar.
After a nice Masailand hunt we stayed there last week in the "Sultan Suite" - Absolutely fantastic ! - Thank again.
Cheers

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you Enjoyed it.

quote:
Originally posted by AB109:
Thank you very much MBOGA BIGA BWANA for recommending Jafferji House in Zanzibar.
After a nice Masailand hunt we stayed there last week in the "Sultan Suite" - Absolutely fantastic ! - Thank again.
Cheers

quote:

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

And was the largest, most important slave market on the East African coast.

Bagamoyo, which is the closest township between mainland and the northern tip of Zanzibar, was the main "transit stop" for the slaves destined mainly for the Omani market.

All others (rejects) were probably sent to Baltimore. Big Grin

A few years ago we were having lunch in the bush, in a nice valley.

Someone mentioned that this very same valley was the major route for slave on their way to the coast.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote