Find
Notify
Tools

Who is your favorite wildlife artist?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
definately Simon Combes who was killed by a buffalo a few years ago, he is the best painter especially of African scenes that I have seen

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I consider Nick Brandt to be the best wildlife artist. Some may consider his work as the finest animal photography ever done, as worthy as any other graphic artist. A link to his web site:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Whyman:
definately Simon Combes who was killed by a buffalo a few years ago, he is the best painter especially of African scenes that I have seen

Thanks for the info.I checked out his sight and his paintings are really impressive.I just saw his Chui painting and that reminded me of my leopard.
WOW is all I have to say.He just became my number one painter.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
David Whyman. He may not be the most famous but he is a good man that loves life and God's great outdoors and it shows in his work. You can't go wrong commissioning a project from David.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Leon Parson. Well up in years now, and somewhat limited in what he painted, none the less, I have enjoyed him since he was doing the Outdoor Life covers in the 70s when I was a very young man...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Whyman:
definitely Simon Combes who was killed by a buffalo a few years ago, he is the best painter especially of African scenes that I have seen

+1. i have his big cat series of 10 prints with the coffee table book that accompanies them explaining the images and the research he did to paint them. my 2 favorites of his, though, are Kilimanjaro Morning and The Crossing. i met him 25 years ago at an art gallery showing of his work in SanDiego. a very fine gentlemen who enjoyed hunting, although he admitted that he kept that info to himself( until i brought it up) because of the art lover crowd who bought his work. a real tragedy to be killed by a cape buffalo while hiking on his farm in Kenya..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13095 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles Frace by far

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I really like Leon Parson. Well up in years now, and somewhat limited in what he painted, none the less, I have enjoyed him since he was doing the Outdoor Life covers in the 70s when I was a very young man...
His paintings look a little animated.I remember the covers of outdoor Life too.He was good at that.Very pleasant to look at.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Paul Bosman.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chet Reneson

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked again at Simon Combes and although he is good I believe there could be someone better out there that no one has heard of.I believe that some artists see things that others cant.It is not only about making things look identical to pictures.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Joshua Spies has some great stuff out there. I have a giclee on the wall of some desert bighorns, I believe its called "band of brothers" and I really like it

http://www.shopjoshuaspies.com...p?ProductCode=BB2432

Here is a link to his african stuff…
http://www.shopjoshuaspies.com...Results.asp?Cat=1817

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So many great artists out there... I like Leon Fouche's work.

http://www.fouchestudios.co.za/

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Jouve

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wildest artist I have seen works by is

Frank Frazetta----

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Impressionist--Bob Kuhn
realist--Carl Brenders

Posts: 10 | Location: dallas, tx. | Registered: 15 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert Bateman
Leon Parsons
Bob Kuhn

One of Us
Picture of David Whyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
David Whyman. He may not be the most famous but he is a good man that loves life and God's great outdoors and it shows in his work. You can't go wrong commissioning a project from David.

Thanks for the mention Larry

The measure of a man is by the way he treats another www.davidwhymancrystal.co.uk

Posts: 151 | Location: England | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carl Runguis and Gary Swanson.

Jim

Posts: 1205 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert Bateman has always been a favorite of mine.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I personally like John Banovich's paintings, especially his cats.

I always try to spend some time at his booths at SCI.

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always admired the color and detail of Charles Frace works.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might find something you like here, including 14 by Simon Combes.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9343 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Simon Combs,
Joshua Spies
Adam Freeman

Just to name a few.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ron Gaines. If you ever get a chance to meet this humble yet incredibly talented person you will understand why.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I like Joshua Spies.....he's a hunting fool and a heck of an artist.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Samuelson - His bird/animal composites especially.

Posts: 13750 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
MICHAEL SIEVE AND ROB MACINTOSH

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carl Runguis

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WoW so many favorites, most of which I have never heard of.I have no knowledge in art and just go by my feelings.I like Zimbabwe because I have been there and had a pleasant time.I like art that is accurate in a sense that the artist has lived the experience and that is on the same wave of emotion and perception as myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric Forlee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about Andrew Baldry?? Big Grin

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Jon Banovich, Sherry Steele, David Whyman and Leon Fouche. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is Banovich and then there is everyone else

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Craig Bone and Andrew Bone are excellent. Check them out!!
Also a lady who is not well known, but is excellent at paintings is Lisa Masterson. She actually did a beautiful painting of a leopard taken by a trail camera and is currently doing a painting of a Lord Derby Eland for me. She is Zimbabwean as are Craig and Andrew.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Kuhn

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Amanda Peet - Duel of kings

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ken Carlson. Bob Kuhn and Ken Carlson are considered to be among America's best--ever. They are painters, not illustrators. Ken is still very much alive and painting every day. Kuhn died several years ago. I've had the pleasure of knowing both of them and own several of their works.