THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Looking to get a Boyd stock and need help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to get a Boyd stock and need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
posted 19 June 2018 07:48
I finally got the Savage 7mm-08 on the junk stock to shoot descent.

I threw away the old CCI primes and used a new pack of 200's and got about 2700 with 42 grains of Varget and 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups. Seems I had a couple under an inch and a straggler off. I tried a few of the Federal Match and got solid under an inch with both nosler 140 and Hornaday 139 BTs at 2700 -2720 fps so I guess the gun is a keeper after working it since last October.

I just need to fig out what 43 grs will do since BOTH Hornaday and Remington both give 2850 fps for the factory loads. Any ideas on a Better powder than Varget?

ALL velocities were taken at the same session on the Little Caldwell crony. I hate to give up 150 fps to factory ammo.

If it shoots this good on the BB gun stock what will a Boyd's do? Seems many here talk about upgrading the stock.

How can you be sure what to get with all of Boyds choices? What do you need to do to the stock? Bed it? Extra parts

Right hand Trophy hunter Model 11

From Boyds site.
SAVAGE 11, CLASSIC, BOTTOM BOLT RELEASE, DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, SHORT ACTION, FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 3/4" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 7/16" Over All Length of Part: 31" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: This stock is designed for the Savage Detachable Box Magazine rifles with bottom bolt release (located on the front of the trigger guard). The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release. The magazine in-letting is designed for the removable frame from the factory stock. MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component
supplier. Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have bed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design. These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells.

So what is this telling m other than I need to measure my screw holes to make sure.

Anyone own the nutmeg laminate and use their recoil pad or do you need to make changes?

What parts did you have to get?

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The person I spoke to when I bought my first Boyds stock was amazingly knowledgeable. Give them a call and they'll be able to help you hash out what you need.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased more than a dozen boyd's gunstocks for the Savage 220 Slug Rifle and the Savage 212 Slug Rifle. What I can tell you is that I've had really weak customer service experiences with Boyds. From color issues (some of the camo was "mint green" in bad lots) to fit issues (they inletted the stocks for wrong gun features), to the fact that the actions don't work correctly with the bolts tightened to the requisite 30-40 inch pounds of torque, to hairspring cocking issues because the channels were too deep and had to be built back up. They will take accountability for their mistakes by giving you your refund, but don't expect to get them to easily answer their phones, respond timely to facebook, or give you clear understanding of the timing for replacement. At no time over a dozen orders (half+ problematic) would they ever let me speak to an engineer or the web guy that messed up the order entry system so I couldn't order the correct LOP anymore.

On your moderate recoil 7mm-08 you may be okay. For optimal results, plan on a glass or pillar bedding and some sanding.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get the At One stock.
I never had any issues at all with Boyds. Keep in mind that they are CNC made and all these rifles made over the past 125 years, weren't.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Get the At One stock.
I never had any issues at all with Boyds. Keep in mind that they are CNC made and all these rifles made over the past 125 years, weren't.

I settled a Remington 511 in a Boyd's varminter stock for a 510, fits nice and tight.
I made a single-load adapter for it, don't quite have the stones to cut a magazine well yet.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their customer service is non existent.I made an order and called back, about 10 minutes later to verify something. They said the order was in the shop and couldn't be changed. Kinda hard to believe as it would be 3 months before it was ready. Said I had to take it as ordered. A call to the CC company fixed it.
Stocky's is much better to deal with.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had similar issues to those referenced
above.
I have them on savages x2, a TC conquest
(Many problems I had to fix myself) Ruger 10/22.
If you want the feel of a wood texture and can handle
some fitting. Yes. They are better than the cheap
plastic stocks that come with these types of rifles.
For accuracy at a modest price go with a hogue replacement
with the full length aluminum forend.
For a rifle that costs 500.00+.
I go with a McMillan, HS Precision or Bell& Carlson.
Your better off in the long run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello guys. Just joined this site and this is my first time posting.
Have purchased see real gun stocks from a few makers . The three I got from Boyd's all fit flawlessly and improved the rifles accuracy ten fold.
I recommend Boyd's to many looking for a good stock at a great price.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
Ive had very good luck with boyds as well.. 2x of my .308's, a 7x57, a 35 Whelen, and my 416 Taylor all wear boyds stocks.

check the "rapid fire closeouts" before you order something custom built.. you would be amazed how many stocks they have that are deeply discounted.. twice I have gone to purchase a stock at boyds and found what I was looking for already produced, at about 1/2 the retail price in the closeout section..

Just 2 weeks ago I did this with my 416 Taylor.. its built on a 98 Mauser action.. in the closeouts was a walnut platinum model stock with a 1" limbsaver pad, fore end cap, grip cap, and longer LOP (Boyds standard is 13 3/4.. this one is 14 1/4)... for $135.. Shipped to my door was less than $150... retail for this stock if I had just gone in and ordered one with all of the same features is $270 (plus shipping)..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple boyds on some cheap plinking guns. I ordered them all with material I intended to remove myself. Since I got them cheap and made them work to my own expectations, they work well enough compared to the $500+ aftermarket replacement options.