Find
Notify
Tools

GMA & Mayfair actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thought folks might need to see them in "action"Smiler
GMA is John's g33/40 setup for a 338 WM. Mayfair is there standard magnum action, setup for 458wm (they setup the rails and feeding for a family of cartridges in this case using 300 winmag as the basis).

GMA mag box is 0.96" rear, 0.8" front, 3.5" long
Mayfair mag box is 0.9" rear, 0.7" front, 3.5" long

Mayfair safety is angled away from the receiver, GMA almost flush against.

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi Steve, great to see them side by side, do tou have weights for them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd kind have to use a blind fold to pick your favorite...Early GMA's did not have the ring opened up for sinle loading..I'd check that.

I do like the screw the Mayfair uses for the safety flag rather than a taper pin...The bolt handle MAY need modificarion for a low mounted scope.

Would like to see the Satterlee in the same round up

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a toss up.
Mayfair does offer a milled out bolt handle
For scopes but did not get it as unsightly and thought to modify ourselves. John’s bolt handle is done better.

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how much weight is actually saved by those "g.33/40 cutouts" ?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
how much weight is actually saved by those "g.33/40 cutouts" ?

Why don’t you add value to the thread and do the engineering. Use a known dimension from the photos,
est. the dimensions of the cuts from the known and use density of 8620 to calculate the weight removed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now...If only GMA could constrain themselves on the bill board advertising...

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

This X 1,000,000...

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Billboard ??

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
quote:

This X 1,000,000...

Billboard advertising??
I can only guess.
4WD

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane is referring to the very conspicuous, "Granite Mountain Arms Phoenix AZ" script on the left receiver wall.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
Duane is referring to the very conspicuous, "Granite Mountain Arms Phoenix AZ" script on the left receiver wall.

David & Duane
Thank you. Got it. Yes not the most tasteful.At least they didn’t include their zip code. Several of the rifles I have looked at with GMA actions had that , what you call a Billboard ground off.
4WD

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The MAUSER banner was also "billboard" advertising !

As was RIGBY & HOLLAND & HOLLAND.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your work !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

David & Duane
Thank you. Got it. Yes not the most tasteful.At least they didn’t include their zip code. Several of the rifles I have looked at with GMA actions had that , what you call a Billboard ground off.
4WD
Business name/Trade name and city & state REQUIRED of every firearm manufacture. ATFE required. They could have made it a small as 1/16" tall, but maybe the engraving program wasn't capable?

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
The MAUSER banner was also "billboard" advertising !

As was RIGBY & HOLLAND & HOLLAND.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your work
!

...I need to point out (I guess) that I used the word "Constraint"

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a difference between tasteful and graffiti!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GMA will give you the option to have the lettering below the stock line.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Steve505
Interesting subject.
The Mayfair gets my vote as best overall quality.
Better spring fit on the ejection box, a trigger retention screw instead of a friction pin, a longer bolt guide, deeper shear boss on the cocking piece (possibly mag only?), rounded over bolt handle top at the root and the north to south polishing at the back of the bolt shroud and cocking piece at the firing pin was a nice touch. Plain left wall preferred.
Thanks.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt,
Thanks for the insights. GMA offers 5 sizes, Mayfair has 3 (but a nice short one) and once pass the 3.3” length, everything, including the 505 Gibbs, goes into the same action.
GMA also offers so called “pregnant” floorplate that allows 5 Rigbys or 4 Gibbs down reliably.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hope you find an action that suits you.
Ever check out Stuart Satterlee, FZH, or Reimer Johannsen 98 actions? Wouldn't hurt to compare those to your current interests. AR's finest gunsmiths (such as Mr. Wiebe) are among the worlds best and we are blessed that they take time to opine on their actual hands on experiences right here. No experience on my part, just made comment on my reaction to those pictures above. Have fun.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote