New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumb-hole Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to see some pics. of custom rifles based on thumb-hole stocks. Real wood types would be nice but show whatever you may have. --- John

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's some of mine: Top to bottom: .270 Winchester (Tiger Myrtle), .375 H&H (Bastogne Walnut), .300 WSM (Fiddleback Myrtle), and 22-250 (Shell Maple). All of them are Winchester Model 70s. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG: Some purists might scoff & shudder a bit, but those are good looking rifles IMHO. --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey John: I have never ever cared about what purists think. I have plenty of the traditional rifles as well, and use them too. However, as to my thumb-hole rifles, I have killed dozens of game in North America, Mexico and Africa with the rifles pictured. They are rock steady and were fit to my hand and other physical specifications by the stock and rifle maker.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I agree,

I have a pair of 700's with Bell and Carlson thumbholes and they are among my favorite rifles.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a couple but i'm reluctant to admit or show them for fear someone might think i might like blasers too

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful rifles.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My raygun: M1 carbine, Fajen stock, SK mount

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the way they feel and fit when shooting off a bench but do not like them in the field.
Purist, I am not (I HUNT with several "Plastic" rifles also) and I think thumb-holes make a very cool looking rifle... especially the beautiful customs shown here.
Thanks,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
After handling a few years ago I thought they were very comfortable to shoot with myself...until I had one. Picked up a semi-inlet Boyd's for a Ruger 10/22, reshaped the forend into a lightened schnable, trimmed the bulky grip and finished it up. It shot great from the bench and any position really, but I found it was uncomfortable to carry around in the field...just didn't have the familiar grip to hang onto and I didn't like it. Never had another one since.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The dual grip Richards is a little bit better when a field. Had one on a Sako bolt b4 digicams. Aug.1985. This stock turned me off of Claro Walnut

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i have a couple but i'm reluctant to admit or show them for fear someone might think i might like blasers too

And you ride a moped and... Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry Lawson made many thumbhole rifles back in his day.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONLY My personal opinion about thumbholes:

Ugghhh

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Never cared much for M1's. But, that one is 1 classy rig.
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Never cared much for M1's. But, that one is 1 classy rig.
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An abomination of gun stockdom! barf sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you TH owners for your pics., IMHO they are great looking guns - I know there are more hiding out there - don't be shy, show and tell !!
Comments from the "purists" is almost equally appreciated. --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, don't worry about it. Differences of opinion make the world spin. tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Atkinson. I wouldn't buy an M1 custom or thumbhole rig either. But, I appreciate a nice chunk of walnut. Here's some real barf

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
An abomination of gun stockdom! barf sofa

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Harry Lawson made many thumbhole rifles back in his day.

I have a Lawson Cochise thumb hole, AAA American Walnut that I dearly love. A joy for off hand shooting.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having very seriously limited movement in my right wrist,now the best I can do with a conventionally stocked rifle is to get my thumb
on the wrist, index finger on trigger, and press middle fingertip against stock wrist.
My ring and little fingers just hang out in space, nowhere near the rifle.

VERY frustrating when you like standing/offhand shooting and classic rifles as much as I do!!

I'm presently exploring thumbhole stocks for some rifles, just to be able to grip them halfway normally. It's a difficult mental adjustment to make, that's for sure!

John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thunbhole stocks are comfortable; especially so for people with limited wrist mobility. They also position the hand well for trigger pull. The appearance doesn't have to be too moutlandish.
I've done a few over the years and kind of like the result. I think they are especially good for shooting prone and they help to manage recoil.
Good work is good work regardless of the style. The rifles pictured look to be pretty nicely done. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem is I'm a purest!! oh well

That said I do appreciate good work, thumbhole or not, but don't have any use for the design since pop broke off his thumb with one! pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very few I've been around shoot a lot better than they look. I don't care for the appearance but they handle very well from a bench or any kind of casual rest in the field.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always hated non-traditional stocks, but once I tried the Blaser Success Leather when it first came out, I had to have one. Trigger control is much more "natural" with a vertical wrist position. The rifle is light enough that I can carry it by the grip, like a handgun. Very handy.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a professional success and I have to say it's the most comfortable stock I've ever shouldered. The only thing I noticed was it took a little getting used to to "remove" your hand from the pistol grip position to work the bolt then back in. Just doesn't come natural yet compared to a traditional stock.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I've always hated non-traditional stocks, but once I tried the Blaser Success Leather when it first came out, I had to have one. Trigger control is much more "natural" with a vertical wrist position. The rifle is light enough that I can carry it by the grip, like a handgun. Very handy.

That's a nice looking Blaser.

Love the leather inserts on the stock.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Here's some of mine: Top to bottom: .270 Winchester (Tiger Myrtle), .375 H&H (Bastogne Walnut), .300 WSM (Fiddleback Myrtle), and 22-250 (Shell Maple). All of them are Winchester Model 70s. Big Grin

That's a bloody nice line up of rifles, UEG tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair: Thanks. They're all shooters! Taking the 22-250 to Mexico in January.