Find
Notify
Tools

Know anyone who does scrimshaw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Do any of you know anyone who does scrimshaw work on ivory?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call up Hamilton Bowen of Bowen classic arms. I'm sure he can give you a lead. You also might try Nutmeg sports.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Linda Karst Stone is an unbelievable scrimshaw artist. She has done two knives for me. I would check her out.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks UEG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firearms Engravers Guild of America puts out a magazine quarterly. I got mine last week. It has many members of its organization that practice scrimshaw. It might be advantageous to look them up at www.fega.com.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Linda Karst Stone is an unbelievable scrimshaw artist. She has done two knives for me. I would check her out.

+1 Her work is excellent.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron Leubke Jr. is superb for women and very good on other images. There are relatively few scrimshanders who can do them as well. You probably don't want a semi-nude but he does other work that is very good also. Here is a link to his site (I'd show some of my ivory 1911 grips or some of his work, but I might get banned) http://www.rlmagic.com/enter/index.html

Others to consider Sandra Brady, Heidi Robichard, Gary Williams (Garbo), and Seven Stuart. Here is an elephant bolo by Garbo, for example:

And there are many others, it depends on what you want done and how difficult it is. There is a lady from Minnesota (I believe) who is great but right now her name escapes me. Found it, but I'm not totally sure she is still doing scrim, Lori Ristinen. Her is an example of some of her work, all done freehand.

Another great one is from Sweden IIRC. I'll try to find her name. Found it: Eva Halat (has a book out "Contemporary Scrimshaw" which you might consider purchasing).

I don't want to denigrate someone's work, but I find much of Linda K. Stone's work to not be first quality. She does cats very well though.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Some really great work here. Thanks for the names and info. Yeah, no semi nudes since the pendants I have are for my wife and 9yo daughter. Thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Some work done by Susanne Staaf, Sweden, who happens to be my choice of artist.

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the very best, not sure if he is taking work, but you can sign up for his class at Trinidad and learn to do it yourself.

Jim Stevens

John

Posts: 547 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Thomas in Dayton Virginia.Work is excellent.

Posts: 66 | Location: central Va. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hdxr750
posted Hide Post
Rick Boyles, I think he is in Virginia. Does work for Randall Knife Co. You can find him at the Colt or Ruger Forums.

NRA Life Member
From West Virginia, where the Sun shines in the sky
and the Moon shines in the basement

Posts: 175 | Location: Wheeling, WV | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I thought I posted these pics on this, but it was my other thread. I used Ron Leubke Jr. My wife and daughter love their pendants! I do too! Check them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful and supercool!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote