THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Input needed from custom build veterans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input needed from custom build veterans
 Login/Join

posted
Who are the Paul Jaeger’s and Al Biesen's of today? The guys who did very well (though I’m sure there were butchers as well) after the war converting 98 actions in to well-fitted, reliable and accurate hunting rifles. I have an FN pre-war action that will begin its journey once I find the right craftsman. A search of “classic hunting rifle builders” yields nothing but carbon fiber and stainless, and another group who only work on 700 actions. Where can one go for a properly built, classic hunter in the style of the old Oberndorf, European or African light rifle? I don’t need or want a Griffin & Howe; just a properly trained guy who takes pride in doing great work and his wait list bares this out. He prefers Mauser 98 pattern actions and is not insulted when asked for references. He is a proper, full service shop (metal, wood, finish,...) He does not need to be in Pa, just in the US. Looking for input (good and bad) from folks who have been down this road.
Thanks guys,
Ed

Posts: 9 | Location: Kutztown, Pa | Registered: 18 March 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I recommend you consult the members' listing on the American Custom Gun Guild website, www.acgg.org. There are many members who can provide the services you seek at a high level of quality. Members are listed by specialty such as stock maker, metal smith, etc., and each member's page has photos of his work along with complete contact information. I've been a professional member for 22 years and am certain you can find what you need.
Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
deleted

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can't imagine you could do better than Reto Buehler at customsportingarms.com for the type and quality rifle you describe. There are also many others-just browse through this section of the forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From personal experience, I can highly recommend Jim Kobe. First rate work and you have your first reference.

Randy Selby is also very good.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the Jim Kobe recommendation. He has made many custom rifles for me, and is in process of making another.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little (of AM Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC) might be just the guy you described. Aaron is young, but he's a talent far beyond his years.

He's taken an old Victor Sarasqueta sidelock 28 bore and converted it into a stylish .30-30 double rifle for me. He has also taken an abhorrent '80s vintage Brno in .223 and transformed it into exactly what I asked for: a "walking varminter" in the form of a classic African light rifle. Pics below:

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Good names have been mentioned. I hold Duane Wiebe in high esteem. Does it all and it's top tier work.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger is being humble. He is a Guild member and quite capable of turning out an heirloom quality rifle you will cherish.

Posts: 55 | Location: TN | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What is your maximum budget?
quote:
Originally posted by InTheHearth:
Who are the Paul Jaeger’s and Al Biesen's of today? The guys who did very well (though I’m sure there were butchers as well) after the war converting 98 actions in to well-fitted, reliable and accurate hunting rifles. I have an FN pre-war action that will begin its journey once I find the right craftsman. A search of “classic hunting rifle builders” yields nothing but carbon fiber and stainless, and another group who only work on 700 actions. Where can one go for a properly built, classic hunter in the style of the old Oberndorf, European or African light rifle? I don’t need or want a Griffin & Howe; just a properly trained guy who takes pride in doing great work and his wait list bares this out. He prefers Mauser 98 pattern actions and is not insulted when asked for references. He is a proper, full service shop (metal, wood, finish,...) He does not need to be in Pa, just in the US. Looking for input (good and bad) from folks who have been down this road.
Thanks guys,
Ed

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by custombolt:
What is your maximum budget? [QUOTE]Originally

For the following scope of work I would not think $2K is unreasonable...I don't have a ceiling. It is going to come down to what I believe, as a craftsman myself, I am getting for my money. I may go up (+ new stock, reshape/replace bolt to clear a scope, D&T) or down (do nothing) depending.

Rebarrel, add open sights, lap lugs and assure reliable feeding.
Strip stock, refinish and recut checkering. Add recoil pad. Epoxy bed.
Polish and reblue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll 3rd Jim Kobe....fast, talented sand reasonable.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A few pictures may help AR's readers determine how much work the current stock would need.
Welcome to AR.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe… without a second thought.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
A few pictures may help AR's readers determine how much work the current stock would need.
Welcome to AR.

Here is the base gun. You can see the stock design is classic so if salvageable, no need to replace. Just an overhaul to a different cartridge.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921094224

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal thought is to leave the gun as is...don't muck it up with any "upgrades" You would only diminish it's value. A VERY thoughtful restoration? perhaps.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice purchase. Now that I know the caliber, that the barrel is clean inside and that is a FN actioned Husqvarna, I would not change a thing other than a stock refresh and a quality re-blue. PM coming soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Nice purchase. Now that I know the caliber, that the barrel is clean inside and that is a FN actioned Husqvarna, I would not change a thing other than a stock refresh and a quality re-blue. PM coming soon.

That’s where I’m leaning. It depends on the condition of the stock (oil soaked, split, lop too short…) and whether I want to struggle forever getting/forming brass. But you’re right. If everything is salvageable, strip, refinish, epoxy bed, reblue, hunt.
Thanks everyone. I’ve now got a healthy list of candidates to talk to about this project.
Headed out today to pick the rifle up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the above posts state, please don't use the Husky for a build. Leave it alone and find a milsurp for a build. There are plenty of Bubba'd M98s that you could resurrect.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looking over this rifle, I see no indications of much use; a few heavy dings which will impact my decision to put money in to a refinish vs a new stock. I have a question for the guys who have seen their share of these FN actioned Husky's. Is the polishing of the feed ramp a factory original operation? Out at the far edges where bullet noses wouldn't touch, I can see the tooling marks which this polishing effectively removed. I'm just wondering if I still have an all original rifle. Thanks.

I happened to just get a follow up from the seller. He is also an importer and said this rifle was in his most recent shipment of seventeen 46's and 146's and they all had polished ramps FWIW.

ramp 2
feed ramp[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/168988918@N08/51958348358/in/dateposted/%5B/IMG]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
i can't imagine you could do better than Reto Buehler at customsportingarms.com for the type and quality rifle you describe. There are also many others-just browse through this section of the forum.

He declined the work.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Good names have been mentioned. I hold Duane Wiebe in high esteem. Does it all and it's top tier work.

Duane declined the work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by InTheHearth:
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:

Duane declined the work.

What is the reason for declining the work? Just too busy or...?

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axel..."Accommodating" has always been my way of doing business. A backlog is a comfortable guarantee, but at times the obligation of a realistic delivery date has to be considered. And...Oh Yes, the stock was a semi inlet, which just isn't my game.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That stock looked to be (boring) original, not a semi-inlet as Duane mentioned. I stand corrected (Thanks DW) and change my suggestion. Sorry to be blunt and straight forward. But, to pay someone to "re-work" that stock seems to be akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

There is only one option only in my view. Use that apparently "clean" un-pitted barreled action and go custom. Nice wood, M70 type safety/shroud, 2 or 3 panel checkered bolt handle, bottom metal.
As for America's best, I had lots of declines for full builds a few years ago from "the best" that I called. So, strap in and start going through the ACGG list like Roger of Roger's Gunworks said. If they don't have any close-ups of their completed bolt action rifle work, then take that into consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Axel..."Accommodating" has always been my way of doing business. A backlog is a comfortable guarantee, but at times the obligation of a realistic delivery date has to be considered. And...Oh Yes, the stock was a semi inlet, which just isn't my game.

Understood. I was just curious.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote