Find
Notify
Tools

Which Std Mauser Magnum action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Looking to thin down my action count. One to keep one Std length Magnum face Mauser action.

Question:
Which of these two "H" ring commercial actions should I hold on too. And Why if you have a strong feeling.

Choices:
Mark X with the release in the bow
Commercial FN with pin floorplate release

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are, functionally, pretty much equal. I have no rational preference, other than the fact that, IMHO, FN commercial rifles tend to be a bit nicer. I'd like to see pics of both of your actions in order to make a more informed opinion, but without seeing pics, I voted FN.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd call the quality about equal. The Mark X had a nice polish job. Sharp corners no oval screw holes. The FN might be a touch smoother. The Mark X was a 7mag that I ran about 200 rds through and pulled the barrel for a project that never happened.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell them both and get a good contract 98

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
contract 98

Confused

Sorry Duane you lost me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser military action he means.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mauser military action he means.

Thanks,
Duane, while I agree that a Modified Mil M98 would probably hold more value on a high $$ custom. This "if it gets done" rifle will be a simple low budget hunting rifle.

Heck the way I'm getting around to projects the one I keep will probably be for sale in a couple years. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I always thought an FN commercial was a desirable action for a custom. What makes a contract Mauser action the better choice? Serious question, please educate me!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I always thought an FN commercial was a desirable action for a custom. What makes a contract Mauser action the better choice? Serious question, please educate me!

Lots of these contract mausers were EXTREMELY WELL MADE. The 1909 Argentine and 1908 Brazillian DWM being good examples. You start with no holes, no over polishing. Often times there are fewer tool marks inside the action than with a commercial action. Two big factors, for a lot of folks, are the C-ring, which most commercial actions don't have, and the Pre-War Mauser, DWM, FN, BRNO, etc provenance on the left wall or bridges. For open sight use, some folks like to retain the stripper clip slot, both aesthetically and functionally. I know of at least a couple of Alaskan guide AR members that like clip slots for quick reloading out in the Alders. Thumb notches may allow more flex in the action, but like the clip slot/hump and C-Ring, I find them to be functional, and just plain cool as hell. Just my two cents.

BTW, we are talking contract mausers. WWII production from the Germans and Czech's to supply the war effort can be very rough.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I AGREE ON THE MILSURP MAUSERS, I prefer the 1908 Chilean, Puruvian 98 Large rings, etc.

My favorite for calibers up to the 30-06 to even a 9.3x62 is the G33-40 or a Brno mod. 21, 22, or the German Customs Service action, all small rings, the three are, for all practical purposes, the exact same G33-40 action.

However for your purposes and to answer your question, any good FN would be my choice, especially a C ring 1935 milsurp FN.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that issue with the C ring is a bunch of poop.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
that issue with the C ring is a bunch of poop.

While I don't necessarily think it's a bunch of poop, I certainly don't think it's a big deal, and I doubt that "H" rings truly bother most Mauser cranks.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, don't think that's true. The C ring action will be snapped up while the H ring will gather dust...all being equal. The H ring is a cheaper manufacture technique and is universally recognized as such

Re Mark X..good enough action. I seen two firing pin nuts fail and have heard of others (cast material, hard and brittle)

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Personally, don't think that's true. The C ring action will be snapped up while the H ring will gather dust...all being equal. The H ring is a cheaper manufacture technique and is universally recognized as such

Re Mark X..good enough action. I seen two firing pin nuts fail and have heard of others (cast material, hard and brittle)

In the world of high end custom mausers, this certainly is the case, but plebions like me don't get as uptight about it when building more utilitarian arms. However, if given a choice between a nice quality pre-war action that has been worked over and an 1950's era FN Supreme at the same affordable price, I'd certainly go with the former. I do think one would almost be silly not go all out with a C-Ring on a full on high end gun. I would go with a boutique barrel as well, like a Krieger, not necessarily because it's better than, say a Douglas or whatever, but because it might help the rifle bring more when I die and my family had to sell it.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gun expert. Does the Winchester Model 70 and the Remington 700 have a C ring?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not a gun expert. Does the Winchester Model 70 and the Remington 700 have a C ring?

No and no H ring either.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keep in mind, in the Mauser design the "c" ring serves two purposes; it provides a seat for the barrel and it encloses the open portion of thr bolt face when the bolt is closed. The "H" ring no longer provides the second function. In some actions, an extension of the barrel provides enclosure (Arisaka, Rem. 700, Howa, etc.) while in others (Ruger 77, Winchester Model 70, P14) enclosure is ignored. It's pretty hard to say this is a big deal given the track record of these actions (although the Model 70 is usually not considered to handle gas all that well).
The main thing about the best '98's is that the workmanship is so good. My own 35 Whelen is built on a 1935 Brazilian (Oberndorf) and I will hang on to it after the Model 70's are gone. I have some commercial FN's as well ("H" ring) and like then for their workmanship but like the 1935 much better. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been said that the H ring action is less costly to manufacture than the C ring action.

Can anyone explain exactly what makes the c ring less costly in terms of both machining and material costs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I;ll take a c ring everytime.it ain't poop, and they fetch high dollar and any thinking man would not pay for poop...One can build a 300 Wby on a C ring, but its iffy on the H ring is the general consenses as the H ring seems to develope headspace in many cases Im told by those in the know...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who are those guys, and what exactly was their evidence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has been said that the H ring action is less costly to manufacture than the C ring action.

Can anyone explain exactly what makes the c ring less costly in terms of both machining and material costs.

Look up how the broach and the reason will be self explanatory.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what, maybe a couple of dollars in broaching time?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1909 Argentine cavalry carbine about 9 months ago. It's all matching and stock, but for replacing the trigger with a Timney. I haven't shot it much, but very smooth.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote