THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    The Finest and most beautiful vz33 sporter ever!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Finest and most beautiful vz33 sporter ever!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Eat your heart out Ralph Martini! Just won this vz33 250 Savage on Gbroker cheap. Thought it might makes some good comic relief...

Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IS that what is called a California special?

Nice ummmm... trigger!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can we see the rollover cheekpiece on the other side, or is it too embarrassing?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of wood there. I think the right stockmaker could trim that down into an elegant little rifle, worthy of the caliber. My .250 Savage is on a Kurz Mauser action with the original stock, and I think that stock could easily be trimmed to match it.

$400 is not bad for a barreled action with commercial hinged floorplate bottom metal.

My .259-3000 Savage:

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Rick Mason in Colorado is a great stock doctor... maybe he could help. I think he might be in Zim right now but should be home in a week or two.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOVE that forend tip! Great lines and angles. Pure classic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Lots of wood there. I think the right stockmaker could trim that down into an elegant little rifle, worthy of the caliber.

xausa,

Thanks for the advice, and that Kurz is lovely, by the way. I may shoot it, just for shits and giggles, but I think I would like to screw on a 24" #2-ish barrel in 257 Roberts and see how it does. If all goes well, I would like to send it down to a fellow in Lakewood, whom I am sure is tired of me saying I would like to have him build me a custom rifle "some day".
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
biebs will love it

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're kind of a sick person...

That said, it could be turned into something pretty nice.

Rich

jumping

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Lots of wood there. I think the right stockmaker could trim that down into an elegant little rifle, worthy of the caliber.

xausa,

Thanks for the advice, and that Kurz is lovely, by the way. I may shoot it, just for shits and giggles, but I think I would like to screw on a 24" #2-ish barrel in 257 Roberts and see how it does. If all goes well, I would like to send it down to a fellow in Lakewood, whom I am sure is tired of me saying I would like to have him build me a custom rifle "some day".
Matt

If we're thinking of the same man in Lakewood, I'd love to have him build me a custom Mauser as well.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The VZ33 is a rare action only 25,000 made.
The VZ33 is the predecessor to the G33/40.
The G33/40 mimics the VZ33 very closely. The two differ only on the receiver at the recoil lug, the VZ has lightening cuts on the front recoil lug and the G33/40 does not.
Of course the two have different crests and text as well, I'm talking actual design of the receiver.
A client of mine came in the other day with a VZ33 custom in 257 Roberts he had picked up at Cabela's in Ky. A nicely done piece, I commented that whoever built it was not an amateur. Outwardly there was no provenance.
Still looking for some provenance we pulled the stock and the inside work was very well executed, and there staring back at us where the initials MK and Kennedy, the second I saw it I said OH WOW !! my client said "is that a good wow"? I said, ever heard of "Monte" Kennedy
he says your kidding, I say nope look for your self. Of course we all know who Monte Kennedy was and the impact he had on what it is we all do here. Just a cool VZ33 story I thought I would pass along. Congratulations on your VZ33 a sweet little score.
Timan

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
The VZ33 is a rare action only 25,000 made.
The VZ33 is the predecessor to the G33/40.
The G33/40 mimics the VZ33 very closely. The two differ only on the receiver at the recoil lug, the VZ has lightening cuts on the front recoil lug and the G33/40 does not.
Of course the two have different crests and text as well, I'm talking actual design of the receiver.
A client of mine came in the other day with a VZ33 custom in 257 Roberts he had picked up at Cabela's in Ky. A nicely done piece, I commented that whoever built it was not an amateur. Outwardly there was no provenance.
Still looking for some provenance we pulled the stock and the inside work was very well executed, and there staring back at us where the initials MK and Kennedy, the second I saw it I said OH WOW !! my client said "is that a good wow"? I said, ever heard of "Monte" Kennedy
he says your kidding, I say nope look for your self. Of course we all know who Monte Kennedy was and the impact he had on what it is we all do here. Just a cool VZ33 story I thought I would pass along. Congratulations on your VZ33 a sweet little score.
Timan

Stuart,

The only reason I came across this rifle in the first place is that I happened to follow a link to your Facebook page and saw a gorgeous custom Satterlee VZ33 detailed action and rifle,
which inspired me to go to gunbroker and type in "VZ33" in the search box. Small world!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Can we see the rollover cheekpiece on the other side, or is it too embarrassing?

I think you jest, but here you go:

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I agree,......small world.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Herters or Royal stock?

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Herters or Royal stock?

I don't know, but when I receive it I'll try to find out, and let you know.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Richard's Microfit stock?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nothing a rasp & sandpaper can't fix. Nice caliber on a rare action.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Herters or Royal stock?

Sure looks like a Herters Model Perfect Custom Deluxe.

Yep, it sure does. But multicolored spacers instead of their fancy zig-zag lightning pattern black & white ones.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the extra lines like this one has. I am old enough to like, (a little), some of the California look but that one is way over the top with all the stripes it's got on it. I'd replace the entire stock. The wood has decent grain flow but that's all it has. Congrats on a nice buy, well done.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, CM. I was kidding. Reminds me of the stuff built in the 60's, but can't recall the names. Seems that many of those stockmakers were in Texas. I'll have to dig through some old publications to refresh my memory. metal, though.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some basket-weave carving, some diamond inlays, and a whitetail buck carved into the offside of the butt, and you will have something special.
It will take a bit of time to fix the polishing job on the receiver and you might want to replace the bolt handle.
I'm sure Ralf has some of his rifles out in the yard, throwing rocks at them, as we speak! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
... not to mention carving an outhouse on the off-side as well - just for good taste.

Nice action, fun calibre.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rasp and sandpaper? I think not, maybe a axe and chopping block for the fireplace would be a start!.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote