THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Amateur hour 2nd Edition- 257R stalking rifle Mex Mauser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur hour 2nd Edition- 257R stalking rifle Mex Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finishing this up, metal is still in the white. Just got it back from checkering.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looking good! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can stand the commentary..IMHO...
The inletting looks great and should be applauded. The stock is very nicely done. The cheekpiece and forend tip look like show-off stuff, trying to impress? These don't fit the other styling and you didn't quite get them right.
You are doing some great work but IMO doing a great job without showing off presents a better example of professional standards, mixing and matching of stylistic details detracts...

90% of the comments will tell you how wonderful it is, Mine will offer a different perspective. Take it as you will..I don't offer much comment around here.
I love the caliber and small ring action, the stock blank looks swell to me!
I'd also offer an invite to come visit my workshop this summer, Montana can't be too far?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1787 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back. No showing off at all. My rifle built for me, what I wanted to do, something a little different.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice crisp final work there kda55 for sure. Any particular reason you deleted the lungs/shoulders at the rear tang area?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice workmanship. Terrible style.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tip looks a bit weird to me, but I disagree that the cheekpiece is showing off.

Well ok, maybe a little, but couldn't you say the same thing about any shadowline cheekpiece? There's nothing functional about the shadowline, and I actually like this treatment - It's original, unique, artistic even. (not opening the craftsman vs artist can 'o worms again...) What about engraving, isn’t that showing off? This is a forum for custom work, and aren't we all trying to impress others, at least just a little?! Cool

I would take it ahead of carved oak leaves any day!

Nice work for an amateur, again it makes my best work pale by comparison...

P.S. I have seen that kind of groove in tips before, it looks too purposeful (and a bit unattractive) to not be functional. Like a groove for a bungy to rest in while racked in a truck? If not for a bungy or rope, what are these for? Shooting sticks? And does this feature have a name?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what lungs/shoulders are- just slimming everthing down. The forend is Alex Henry style used by them, Fraser and others over time. As for style I'm the only one that counts since it is mine. I'm only posting for enjoyment of craftsmanship. If I was worried about style it would look like 99% of everything else out there. I agree with montea6b, thank you. Get your rifle checkered and post a picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Get your rifle checkered and post a picture.

Well, the rifle is in Arizona and I am in Washington. But, if it comes back to me I will... (grudgingly. Bill, you reading this?!) Wink

Anyway, I do my own checkering. Not well, but good enough for a decent working rifle. Good enough to have some pride in ownership, and to show it off in the field with friends and family even if it isn't top shelf work. And I have a new toy to play with - an air driven checkering tool I got at a gun show last month. Needing a fitting to connect to the compressor to start practicing.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kda55 Excellent inletting and detailed shaping. What finish and technique did you use on the wood ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daly products, seafin sealer and seafin teak oil finish with alkaneet root stain for both, sanded in with rotten stone rub ~every 3 coats, final finish rotten stone rub for dull satin finish. Good boat finish, great rifle finish and easy to work with. I think there is 8-10 coats total on this; 3 sealer, remainder oil.

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Inletting looks impeccable, style is not my taste but it's not my rifle. That said if you walked up to me and said "Here it's yours" I would be proud to own it. Beautiful work for a so called amature.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't but help admire the skill exhibited there.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
P.S. I have seen that kind of groove in tips before, it looks too purposeful (and a bit unattractive) to not be functional. Like a groove for a bungy to rest in while racked in a truck? If not for a bungy or rope, what are these for? Shooting sticks? And does this feature have a name?

I am under the impression it is called an Alexander Henry, and was used by Ruger on many of the No.1's.
Alexander Henry died long before anybody put a rifle rack in a truck, so I doubt it's that. I think it was purely decorative.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a sling attached there with a leather thong, the other end of the sling was a leather cup the butt went into.
I don't know if that was its intended purpose, though.
Does look a bit phallic, though.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lungs are located forward of the tang seat sides . One is next to the ejector box screw point hole and one across from it.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Nice crisp final work there kda55 for sure. Any particular reason you deleted the lungs/shoulders at the rear tang area?

The action may be a Mexican 98... Swede.... they do not have the "lungs" you describe

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like the details - they make it stand out from general patterns/styles - well done!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Mexican. Thanks AH, my sentiments also. I'll post pics later of the metal in the action.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Sorry kda55. I inletted the stock for my '36 Mexican about a decade ago and totally forgot about the lack of the these.
So, gentlemen, what's the official name for those? My ACGG friend called them lungs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Feels like a shotgun in the hand. A large percentage of my shooting while hunting is offhand, quick shots. I usually wrap my hand around the foretip to control the rifle so the shorter forend is the cats ass. Really looking forward to putting it to use. Hope some of you have enjoyed my efforts. Happy gun building.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it even better when I can see the whole thing in one pic!

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top job Kda and a good choice on the optics.
How much does it weigh?

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's beautiful and certainly much better than anything I have achieved.

As a stock only, the chiekpiece appears too small, but as a complete rifle, it looks just right.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Where did you get that barrel? I like the contour.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive job on the inletting! While it may have features that are not 100% harmonious, they seem to play well together and the whole makes a very attractive, well built, unique, and likely very useful tool, which is all you can really ask, and more than you typically get, out of any custom rifle.

Well done!

John

Posts: 547 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I admire your sense of proportion and attention to detail.

I don't get the backhanded commentary on here because it's not their style or how they would do it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work!
It's not supposed to please everyone, that's why it's Custom.
It's the skill & workmanship that is on display

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer a couple of questions.
Weight is 7-7 1/4# without the scope near as I can measure.
Barrel is a McGowan contoured to my specs.
As to the remainder of the comments, I wanted something different. I can build and have built classic styled rifles. I don't do this for a living so I can play in the sand box to my delight. It would be a very boring world without experimentation or stepping over the boundaries of conventional accepted norms. And lastly, it is lively in my hands, balances beautifully and it's mine.
Edited for Metal last but not least- yes, fabulous scopes. Hard to come by here, lucky to have it. And keep posting your work, lovely!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep yep yep.

quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
It would be a very boring world without experimentation or stepping over the boundaries of conventional accepted norms.

By the way, a picture from the top down and bottom up would be nice. So far, great fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Custombolt

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is nice, crisp work.
As for whomever called the lightening cuts underneath a 98 receiver, "lungs", I just can't fathom why.
They are for nothing more than reducing one ounce of weight. If you look at a 45 dated 98, especially from Steyr, they don't bother milling those out.
Lungs? no.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Duane referring to them as cheeks, and if inletted correctly will absorb recoil.
Makes sense to me.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the new pix. Very nice inletting work there.
dpcd - I prefer the term shoulders. I believe those are actually lugs to help prevent rearward movement. The Mexicans had extra material under the rear tang for extra rearward support.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Cheeks sounds good too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kidneys! They're kidneys dammit! Get your terminology correct!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Frozen snot? dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Touche!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn I like that rifle might change a thing or two if it was mine but that's what makes a custom. I think Roger Ferrell built a 6.5x55 that had some of the same features. I liked that one too...

Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, and great execution of YOUR custom rifle.

I never understood the desire of people to pick apart another persons custom rifle, as if it was your job to appease everyone’s desires. Nor do I understand building something to another’s self-proclaimed standards for the sake of trying to impress said person. The rifle doesn’t break any “rules”…

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote