New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 Nosler
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings,
I've become interested in the 28 Nosler but not in their rifle.
Could a Sako AV or M85 receiver in a 7mm Rem Mag be used for a donor receiver to make a 28 Nosler?
If so what's involved?
Is the 28 Nosler up to the hype or are there problems?
And, on the M85 receiver, is it possible to use the floorplate from the magazine and cut inside the stock to end up with a blind magazine thus allowing a COAL?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 14 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 23 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know the tenon diameter on either of the sako models you mentioned? The nosler is a bit fatter than the 7rem, but the same category as the WSM, RSAUM, RUM, etc. So if those were offered in the sako you should be fine. If the tenon is anything over an inch then a new barrel should be about all you need. An inch or under like the winchester M70 and you're at the limit (They had chambers stretching.).

one of us
posted Hide Post
All hype, IMHO. They don't do anything that a factory cartridge can't do, but cost you more money.
Without looking, I doubt it will do anything the 7mm Rem, or Weatherby could not do, and certainly not the Ultra.
I use the 270, or 300mags.
Only if you have an itch, would you want one of these.
Just look at the loading manuals, and see how much more powder you need to burn to achieve their stated velocities. I would not bet that they achieve them either.

A plain old 264 will do anything this will do at a much cheaper price..
I have a 270 that will run 150 Noslers at 3150.

I can shoot a 180 out of my 300 Weatherby at 3250.
I don't see any Value for the new Noslers

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're not the same, but similar situation. I had a Win M70 in 338 WM and desired rebarreling to 375 RUM. There was no problem with barrel fit or case length, but with the existing bottom metal/follower the RUM cartridges wouldn't feed reliably. the gunsmith replaced it with that designed to RUM and things worked fine. If your action is similar, it may work well if the follower and diameter of the magazine box are those designed for the Nosler.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 7x57 will do what a 280 will do what a 280Ai will do what a 7mm Rem mag will do what a 7mm STW will do what a 28 Nosler will do what a 7mm RUM will do.

But yet a 7x57 cannot do what a 7mm RUM can do no matter how you slice and dice it.

My point is, just decide at what level of ballistic performance you'd be happy with for YOUR application and go from there.

Hype? The 7mm Rem was all hype to some and probably still is yet it's enjoyed quite a loyal following and for good reason!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just measured a takeoff 30-06 barrel from an AV and checked my notes from the job. The shank is .995" diameter x 16 tpi pitch.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
JThe shank is .995" diameter x 16 tpi pitch.

Thanks for the info. Personally, I would NOT do a WSM, RSAUM, RUM, or any of the other ~0.550" rounds in an AV then. Supposedly winchester "fixed" their problem by switching to finer threads for the WSM barrels. That seems like a pretty thin safety margin to me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, not much safety margin.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I think the "engineers" are cutting the safety margins too thin on this and several other rounds.

This isn't the 1950's when if Bubba blew up a gun it was a case of ,"Oh well," and everybody moved on. Nowadays it's much more serious.

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
JThe shank is .995" diameter x 16 tpi pitch.

Thanks for the info. Personally, I would NOT do a WSM, RSAUM, RUM, or any of the other ~0.550" rounds in an AV then. Supposedly winchester "fixed" their problem by switching to finer threads for the WSM barrels. That seems like a pretty thin safety margin to me...

The "new" Winchester bbl threads are 1 1/16"X28 or 32 TPI...I forget which as I only took one off so far.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a takeoff from a New Haven 7MM WSM that is 1.057"(??) X 28tpi. Don't know about the new FN's.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Can't comment as to the safety of the action and that build. While I think a person needs to build what he wants he needs to be realistic in his expectation. Had a 7mag and a couple 380 wildcats. The STW came out and I had to have one. Played with it. Burnt a lot of powder and bullets. unless you really jack the pressure and had ad several inches of barrel the gain you get over a 7mag just wasn't worth it.

Hmm the 7mag is loaded to 61,000 the STW to over 65,000 if you load them to the same pressure. No reason not to in my book. Yes the STW is about 18% more capacity but that will get you less than the 1 for 4 normally seen in an 06 style case. So maybe 3% velocity or maybe 100fps. Just ran QL using a 160 in both in a 24" barrel same pressure and it calculates less than 50fps.

If you want the 28 go for it. Get the right action and don't hinder it with a short barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
a 7x57 will do what a 280 will do what a 280Ai will do what a 7mm Rem mag will do what a 7mm STW will do what a 28 Nosler will do what a 7mm RUM will do.

But yet a 7x57 cannot do what a 7mm RUM can do no matter how you slice and dice it.

My point is, just decide at what level of ballistic performance you'd be happy with for YOUR application and go from there.

Hype? The 7mm Rem was all hype to some and probably still is yet it's enjoyed quite a loyal following and for good reason!

well stated
Zeke

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Fierce and you have 28 Nosler in a Sako type system with match barrel.

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler M48 is a Sako clone.

I built a 28 Nosler on a Remington action earlier this summer. It does what it says it does in terms of velocity. At least mine does with 175gr bullets. 3200fps wasn't hard to get to. Mine has a 25" barrel (I set back and rechambered a shot out 7mm STW barrel).

I tend to agree with the comments above about tenon diameter. 1" is probably the minimum, and bigger is better.

I would also try to use an action that has a longer than 3.4" magazine, and put a 1:8" twist barrel on it for 175 plus grain bullets. I don't see the point of building a rifle in such a cartridge that isn't intended to shoot long range with heavy high BC bullets. So, set it up accordingly.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im having a 28 nosler built ona stiller action with a #5 contour benchmark barrel with a 1-8 twist barrel cut to 27" with directional muzzel break. im building the rifle to shoot the 195 grain berger elite hunter vld bullets my buddie has a rifle like this and its a absolute machine iv only messed around with it a bit but at 400 yards 2" groups are the norm i havnt been able to shoot it out past 600 and even there groups were still under 2.8-3" i belive he had a 5.5x22x50 nightforce nxs scope on it.

he took a elk at 560 this year with it and stoned it i was there the elk didnt even take a step dumped it on the spot exit hole was about 1.5".......forgot to add the berger 195's have a g1 bc of .755 anf the lowest g7 form factor iv seen on a factory mass produced hunting bullet.

Posts: 48 | Location: ft st john bc | Registered: 28 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently rechambered two 7mm Mag rifles for the same client. One was a Remington 700, and the other was a Ruger Hawkeye African. The Remington needed some feeding work, and the Ruger worked ok as is.

I expressed concern over the Ruger ' s 1 inch barrel shank, so he sat down and called Ruger. He said he managed to talk to an executive there (didn't give me the name though) who, he said, chuckled and told him that their actions would withstand somewhat north of 120,000 psi, and in his opinion, there would be nothing to worry about on that account.

Just passing this along fwiw. Personally I understand and still share the concerns about shank diameter, although it does seem that specific problems have yet to rear their head....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
consider, instead, the 6.5 x 68 Shuler...

I am having one built over the winter.

NO belt either!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the process of truing up an old style tenon Win 70, I mucked up the threads. There is plenty of meat to completely bore out the the 1" threads and re thread to the 1 1/16-28 tpi of the new tenon dimensions.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote