New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a early 50s vintage M70 that has some pretty deep stock gouges in a couple of places. I've tried steaming with an iron but not successful. what else might I try? thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a steam cleaner? MUCH better than an iron. Works wonders. Just get close enough back to the surface and fill any remainder with super glue.

Handheld Steam Cleaner

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
has some pretty deep stock gouges in a couple of places

Doubt steam will handle the issue. Once your remove wood or cut the fibers a steam repair is far less successful.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me pictures of the damage. I will help you all I am able to via phone if possible. I have been very ill. Caught a very bad bacterial infection early Jan. Have been hospitalized and hope to get doctor's OK to go back to work today.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You better get well soon!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caught a very bad bacterial infection early Jan. Have been hospitalized and hope to get doctor's OK to go back to work today.

Speaking from experience a bad infection can kick the crap out of you. As butch has said do hope you get better real soon.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got cleared to return to work. Wife says my endurance is needing to be built up slowly. I will start by getting my shop cleaned up. All of my gear/display material from DSC is still packed and waiting for me to put away. Thanks for the well wishes! I need to get back to work...but only at a level of not going backward in health. I have good advisors and supporters.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, if I had looking at my dirty shop and knew that I had to clean it first, I'd get sick again.
Take care of yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dennis, glad to hear you are on the mend!You have really had a time with that infection. My dad always told me getting old isn't for sissies!

Posts: 80 | Location: Toronto, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis: Thanks much for the offer. Will try getting some pictures to you.

Devere

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take your time and heel up and hair over before you get in walnut dust..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have so much gunstock finish in my system my wife says they won't need to embalm me...I'm already full of preservatives! If they try to cremate ,me they had better use a small flame as the dust in my lungs will cause the fire to increase 75% in heat. Wink

Used to burn walnut gunstock scrap in the fireplace...until the fire got so hot the screen bolts let go of the mortar in the bricks and it fell out on the hearth.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis coached me through repairing a stock toe break. It went so well that the repair truly is invisible. I had never thought of using elmers glue. Thanks Dennis.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, I understand that, If I cough up flem I just rub it in to one of my stocks and let cure!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blanks that have damage can still be used in a high quality firearm, the black pattern was the selected portion of the blank to be used for the stock. The red pattern would have missed a majority of the repair, however would have lost a large amount of the figure on the opposite side. To do the repairs I have made a plug that i shaped to fit into the holes of the damaged sections of the blank, this will take approximately 30-40 refittings to match the plug to the hole. You will know when the plugs fit perfectly after you can push it in with your thumb and require a pair of pliers to remove it.

Don't be afraid to repair a damaged stock/blank correctly, below you can see how i have inletted a matching piece of wood from the same blank in each of the damaged areas. The final photo is the stock with just a scrape finish and a light coat of linseed oil. When the stock is completely finished the repairs will be difficult to see. Repairs when done correct will not detract from the finished stock.

Damaged exhibition grade blank.

Duplicated stock from my pattern, explored damage.

Preparing Repairs.

Matching colour and pattern for repair piece.

Fitting and shaping repair pieces.

Checking fit for repair piece.

Glued and Clamped.

Repair pieces filed to match stock.

Final piece.

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Wow Roger, pretty amazing fill job!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
How can I order another blank if you don't check your emails mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Repairs to nice wood, be it a stock or a piano, will become another of the "lost arts", like so many other tasks that require skill and patience. Most of those tasks that require skills and patience also require time, and in our "right now" world these things just don't add up for the majority. Low cost, perfect and fast is what most look for. Most have never done anything/made anything themselves, if they have only the simplest of things, so they haven't a clue.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger that looks like they were part of the wood now, great work.

Slivers: That's why plastic shit stocks were invented!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Vardy

That stock is lovely. It's shape is particularly attractive. And so is the metalwork. Would you mind telling us just exactly what all of that is? Action, barrel, caliber, bottom metal, bolt handle, etc.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost any damage can be repaired, just matching the wood is the hard part, that's why I save every scrape of walnut..make a plug or shape a piece to inlet in..make the patch match the grain and color, sometimes a black marks a lot can save the day. being unable to detect the patch is first and foremost..Good work Roger.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy, the rifle consists of a g33/40 action, a shilen recontured barrel to reduce it's weight, Blackburn bottom metal reshaped at the front (to make the fore-end slimmer) and a Canjar trigger (With new trigger design.). The bolt itself has a Rabourn three position safety made by Joe Zufall, the bolt handle is custom made to my design. The grip cap is a two screw by Jerry Fisher with the pad made by Pachmayr.

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jasper Rabourn many yrs ago did work on my 98 Mauser, surface ground etc. turned out beautiful. Last I heard he gave up smithing and was farmimg/ranching in Oklahoma. I remember those safetys in Rifle and Handloader magazine. Be nice if they are both back in the game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a less than perfect blank for one thing, the other is Ive seen many plugs over a long period of time ease out a tad even if glassed in and damage the finish, and that to is repairable but a pain..An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure IMO..Damage from a hunting trip or whatever is whole nuther ball game, needs to be repaired as best it can be. the best stock repair is the damage itself, its a memory of a certain successful hunt..Im a nostalgic btw...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray: Understood..My own 270 from 1986 (second barrel, third scope)

I have a patch that acts exactly as you describe, but I suspect Roger, as I, might use the less perfect but totally functional and otherwise attractive blanks on our own rifles

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe thing I will suggest to anyone who damages a stock and wants it repaired properly is up to you, tossing it in the back seat and packing it up sending it to the fixer upper just doesn't fly..

Always pad the break, both ends, all of the exposed part with lots of cottom then tape it,if you have any slivers of any size place them between cotton and tape them up..most of the time they can be replaced in the damage.

I was sent a 577 Jefferys double, hows that for rare, stock broken in half at the checkered grip, but the owner protected the break as I described to him..The owner (an African ) said he despertly needed the money as fast as possible, so he would sell it for $8500. I sold it quickly sent my man his money and was proud of myself for doing so..That kind of money would have strained me a bit so I let it go as opposed to keeping it an fixing it and selling it myself..The buyer paid me to fix it as I recall, He sold it for $35,000. Im told and don't doubt it one bit. Some days are diamonds and some days are stones. it was good repair and couldn't be detected unless you got it out in the sunlight, they all usually show up to the experienced eye...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Yep its the gunsmith delima, use the rejects for ourselves and sell the good stuff! Im good with that..

However unlike you, Im not in the business, so I build them all for myself and use them until someone buys them, but I still keep the rejects, Nice thing about that is you don't have to baby a reject, just use it hard.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120