New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 M70 stock color
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this may not be in the correct section to ask, but here goes: I know that over the years there has been a few stains offered that are supposed to duplicate the factory color. Years ago I bought a jar, and I'm not certain, but I think it was offered by a custom builder, Phil Pilkington. Still have a little bit left. Used it on one stock and was way too much red shade in it. Then a couple years back minwax came out with a stain they call "gunstock #231" which while it isn't intended to duplicate anything, is not bad. I think I mixed a little of the 2 together on the last stock I did. Now I'm ready to do another stock and would kind of like to duplicate the early 50s factory stock shade. SO, what have you guys found that comes close. thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last couple 50's vintage M/70 stocks I've used Timberluxe stain, Google the name and you'll find the website.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back Midway sold stain and varnish that was listed as for the Pre 64 M70's. Don't know anything about it though.

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly...Galazan offers a Pre-64 Win. 70 stock stain. I've never used it though. I did one and mixed my own using aniline dyes from Klingspor's Woodworking. Think it was Antique Red and mixed it with alcohol to get the shade I wanted. Turned out well....to me.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Pilkington's product on a stock years ago. It was very dark with a lot of figure. The stain, in my opinion was perfect for that stock.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote