Find
Notify
Tools

What to Build What to Build
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I'm going to try and work a build of my own in this winter amid the basement finishing and duplication backlog. Probably very wishful thinking.

At this moment I have 3 action choices. A FN magnum bolt face a MKX std magnum and a MKX 06 bolt face.

Yes I do still have a set of 264Wmag dies brass and bullets and no 264 so it is on the list.

As it is I NEED nothing. All bases are covered from 222 to 410cal.

Not thinking of a real heavy hitter. I have to find out tomorrow if I need my chest wires removed or replaced. Frowner

So help me dream and a "WHY" is always good. Wink

Hmmm Maybe I should try a swap actions and build something in the small range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's there not to like about another 264 build, Paul?
Take us along on your journey please.
Zeke
PS: If truth be known, damn few of the posters on this site NEED anything else but all of us like to tinker with a new project.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
7X57 or just a good .30-06.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Darn I forgot I had a Mini 7.62 sitting on the shelf that can't decided if it wasn't to stay that way or go 6.5. Decision decisions. rotflmo

I love the 7x57 but between the wife and I we have 3. As to the 06 I'm only 64 and never owned one. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's the fn action. Want to swap bolts for a non magnum fm bolt?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we might deal. I am beginning the process to have a 425WR built. The magnum bolt face would save me a little time/money.

I haven't yet had a rifle built with resale in mind. Just build something you will enjoy looking at as you slide it out of the gun case at the range and doing the load testing.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How's the fn action. Want to swap bolts for a non magnum fm bolt?

Here are a couple of pics. Let me decide what to build and yes I might be interests is a swap .

Looks to me like my magnum started life as a std.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3mm RUM, 28 Nosler or a 240 Weatherby.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
As to the 06 I'm only 64 and never owned one. Wink

Now would be the time then. A .30-06 would make an excellent mid-life crisis rifle Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your FN can handle an 8MM Rem Mag, that would be my choice. Always wanted one but never got one.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Men always want to "build" something. But if you don't "need" anything in the way of rifles, use the winter to "build" something nice for the house that your wife would like. That will do a lot more for you than a new rifle.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lindy2,

how about if I just built her a new house instead?

A real loving wife would just tell her husband to build what he wants and not to worry about the cost or utility. That's what mine has done the last 25+ years.

And, yes, she got our new house interior done pretty much to her specs.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if you don't "need" anything in the way of rifles, use the winter to "build" something nice for the house that your wife would like.

Did you miss my comment about finishing the basement?? rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you "build" have fun!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On top of everything else, you're now a marriage adviser. I think you been watchin' way too much Dr. Phil. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

well posted by a man from kalifornia...

does your wife, if you are or were married; depend on you for her project financing? Mine, as I have stated, does not. Never has...
She did tell me to build an addition on my gunroom a few years ago. Self defense, she wanted my Cape Buffalo mount out of the living room.

It may be a radically different view of life for women raised to think for themselves, and take responsibility for their own happiness in Montana.

We HAVE been married for over a quarter of a century though...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
As to the 06 I'm only 64 and never owned one. Wink

Now would be the time then. A .30-06 would make an excellent mid-life crisis rifle Cool

30-06 AI or 7x57 AI. Two of the better than most, according to P.O. I have the 7x57 in AI, very impressive. One of these days I might do the same to one of the Springfields.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
craigster,

well posted by a man from kalifornia...

does your wife, if you are or were married; depend on you for her project financing? Mine, as I have stated, does not. Never has...
She did tell me to build an addition on my gunroom a few years ago. Self defense, she wanted my Cape Buffalo mount out of the living room.

It may be a radically different view of life for women raised to think for themselves, and take responsibility for their own happiness in Montana.

We HAVE been married for over a quarter of a century though...

Rich

No. She has her own business, and I have mine. And what the fuck does "kalifornia" have to do with it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is the state where you live, just as Idaho is mine. That said, you do have my condolences running a business there.

Try not to use the "F" word in such a trivial matter. Mark Twain said that profanity is the sign of extreme intellectual laziness or a very limited vocabulary...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay. From now on I'll refer to the state in which you live as "idahole". Or how 'bout "Ida's hole?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can't even dream about the level of personal freedoms we enjoy here...

Besides, you have more illegals in LA than we have in the entire state.

Besides, in much of kalifornia the "K" is the preferred spelling. All that pre-hippie stuff about "Kool" and "Kustom Kars".

I think the toxic levels of smog/pollution you live in are starting to cause a decrease in your brain cell count, and your neural transmitters may be doing a higher level of cross firing...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was fast, even for Rich - we went from "what to build" to trading insults over where we live and what our wives do.... or do without us...

Come on, now, play well with each other in the sandbox...

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a guy on sports talk radio named Jim Rome.

He constantly reminds callers to: "have a take, and don't suck...". That translates to have something R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T (to the OP) to say, and try not to come across as lame.

Cumulatively, you three are "0 for 2" in that department.

NOTE: just in case your IQ isn't much over room temperature, the person took the conversation from what chambering for a rifle to doing something to the house for the wife.

When you make a topic personal by going off topic, the results are generally not positive for you. You PC nerds need to spend some time in the real world.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little on the high-end side, but a friend of mine has a Granite Mountain Magnum barreled action with sights and quarter rib in 505 Gibbs he'd sell for $4K.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
358 Norma

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it should be on the mini mauser, a 6.5 Grendel. With a nice looking stock,classic style.
And this has nothing to do with the fact I have a mini action with a .22-250 boltface and want a nice stock when I make it into a 6.5 BR. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat,

almost as fast as going from a custom build to finishing the basement.

But, I'm a guy, and we have to engage brain before putting mouth in gear...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
You amaze many of us with your attitude and hostility. I don't get it as this thread was no big deal and you decided to blast the guy for no reason. You insult anyone that you perceive is not like you, disagrees with your or does not hold you in the esteem you feel you deserve. I really don't get it.

I came to this thread to see what the poster was going to do. He asked for ideas and thoughts, then it devolved into this. I just don't get it with you.

You have some wisdom to impart, so just do it peacefully and without the word battles. Let it go.

Also, please do not PM me as I really do not what anything to do with you off line. Say what you will in front of this board. Your PM's are worse than your posts...

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I'm going to try and work a build of my own in this winter amid the basement finishing and duplication backlog. Probably very wishful thinking.

At this moment I have 3 action choices. A FN magnum bolt face a MKX std magnum and a MKX 06 bolt face.

Yes I do still have a set of 264Wmag dies brass and bullets and no 264 so it is on the list.

As it is I NEED nothing. All bases are covered from 222 to 410cal.

Not thinking of a real heavy hitter. I have to find out tomorrow if I need my chest wires removed or replaced. Frowner

So help me dream and a "WHY" is always good. Wink

Hmmm Maybe I should try a swap actions and build something in the small range.

I would build a 338 on the FN, a 256 Newton on the std face MKX and a 6.5 Rem Mag on the Magnum MKX. I would work up some loads for them and shoot them a little then they would sit in the rack while I hunted with the rifles I already have. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
well guys i had 2 broken sternum wire and infection. Had emergency surgery Friday. serious antibiotics one day at a time

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Get well soon. Those antibiotics can be hard on you. Take a probiotic capsule before each meal to keep your digestive system working. I think you might want to scratch that 338 Mag. I suspect that heavy recoil won't be your friend for a while.
So, 6.5 Rem on the FN mag bolt. 257 Roberts, throated longer, on the std MKX, Save the other MKx for later. First, though, get better. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A 257 Roberts is on my bucket list. Great suggestion.