Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Build Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://youtu.be/_XzGyZUGWyU

Shows as much of the build process I could fit into a 30 minute video. Tried to use a lot less background music in this one, as suggested by many previously. GMA action. Krieger barrel blank. Smithson mounts (with three different scopes). English blank provided by Cecil Fredi.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've always liked your technique of using clear epoxy for bedding. Gives that 100% metal to wood appearance.

Question - why type of clear epoxy do you use? And cure time. I've always had bubble issues in the clear epoxy I used for crossbolts and other areas that aren't visible. I use Bob Smith Industries. Picked it up from my model rocketry days. Nothing epoxy couldn't do!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Acraglas. The trick though is to actually have 100% wood-to-metal contact before using it (or darn close to it). Otherwise it will have bubbles and have a yellowish tint. You can see that in the mag well area before I machined it out. My goal is to essentially have a layer of epoxy as thin as a coat of varnish. IMO creating more stability to the stock and to protect the wood from solvents, moisture, etc. I'm aware that many more skilled and accomplished builders than myself would find using any bedding compound sacrilege.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Matthew, thanks for sharing, is the front lug mortise relieved, is that something that has or needs to be done for a .375 H&H or bigger caliber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim! I relieve the front of the secondary recoil lug so that it goes in the stock easier but it has contact on the rear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great video. A couple of questions come to mind.

Do you want a hat like this? Does a rifle come with purchase of a hat?

How many scopes does one rifle need?

If I put blue painters tape on my finger will it improve my checkering? I already know the answer to this, but it's worth finding out.

I like the epoxy sealing of the inletting. At the end of the day, no one uses traditional finishes anymore. Besides, you aren't filling in poor inletting with bedding compound, you're just sealing it up. To the trained eye that is a big difference.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video. I really enjoyed watching. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are some great questions.
I'll have to think about the gun with a purchase of a hat idea, but I'll definitely throw in a hat with the purchase of a rifle.

Can't hurt to have a backup scope... or two.

And yes, I've found the painters tape on the finger improves checkering considerably, especially when it's keeping the blood off of the stock. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Another great video. A couple of questions come to mind.

Do you want a hat like this? Does a rifle come with purchase of a hat?

How many scopes does one rifle need?

If I put blue painters tape on my finger will it improve my checkering? I already know the answer to this, but it's worth finding out.

I like the epoxy sealing of the inletting. At the end of the day, no one uses traditional finishes anymore. Besides, you aren't filling in poor inletting with bedding compound, you're just sealing it up. To the trained eye that is a big difference.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Great video. I really enjoyed watching. Thank you for sharing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work. Great talent.

I am jealous of your great eyesight. No glasses or magniviewers, wow.

Will you share with us your preferred sealer and finish ?

Did your Acraglass go bad in the bottles ? I had some that was getting old and it went south on me.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice video. Three scopes?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely f#%king awesome effort Matt. I think sealing the inletting like that is the way to go for sure.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely f#%king awesome effort Matt

Agree 100%

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
As far as finish, I haven't settled on a product yet. I've used Mr. Wiebe's method a number of times with great results (Daly's ship-n-shore sealer and teak oil). On the last couple stocks I've used the the ship-n-shore sealer mixed with alkenet root but then used timberlux finish for the rest of the process.

The acraglas marked "bad" was actually a batch that never dried clear, it always left a milky hue. Brownells said it was an issue at the factory and just sent me a new one. I kept the other one for gluing on pads, etc. but marked it to let me know not to use it for bedding.

quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Excellent work. Great talent.

I am jealous of your great eyesight. No glasses or magniviewers, wow.

Will you share with us your preferred sealer and finish ?

Did your Acraglass go bad in the bottles ? I had some that was getting old and it went south on me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well done video, thanks for sharing.

Curious: did you fit and chamber using the steady rest/between centers because that is your preferred method or because the oversized blank wouldn't fit through your headstock?

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would like to jump in here and mention that over this past weekend The American Custom Gunmakers Guild viewed Matt's work and voted on his acceptance to the Guild.
Matt Roberts is now a Professional Member of the Guild in the category of Stockmaker.
Congratulations and welcome aboard.

Steven Durren
Professional Member, ACCG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tried Timberlux for the first time last month, I have been using Pro Custom. The jury is still out until I can see how it holds up over time. It seems to go on nice and dries quickley in our dry climate here. It seems like we are always looking for that magic finish will go on easy and be perfect every time with little effort but it seems that there is no free lunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I threaded and chambered that way because of the oversized blank. I typically run through the headstock and indicated in with range rods and a spider.
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
quote:

Well done video, thanks for sharing.

Curious: did you fit and chamber using the steady rest/between centers because that is your preferred method or because the oversized blank wouldn't fit through your headstock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the welcome! I've long admired the guild and its members and am honored to have finally joined.
quote:
Originally posted by buchsenmacher:
I would like to jump in here and mention that over this past weekend The American Custom Gunmakers Guild viewed Matt's work and voted on his acceptance to the Guild.
Matt Roberts is now a Professional Member of the Guild in the category of Stockmaker.
Congratulations and welcome aboard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been similar. I think it's the easiest product I've used to build up a finish but we'll see how it holds up in the long run. I was turned onto it by Reto Buehler so that says a lot for it.
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
I just tried Timberlux for the first time last month, I have been using Pro Custom. The jury is still out until I can see how it holds up over time. It seems to go on nice and dries quickley in our dry climate here. It seems like we are always looking for that magic finish will go on easy and be perfect every time with little effort but it seems that there is no free lunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MISTER MNR,
Thanks for sharing your talents in videos form.
I'm always impressed when I see one of your videos. Purest entertainment I've ever viewed.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to what the "white stuff" was that was used to complete the stock pattern?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny, I've had several messages about that. It's Bondo that I picked up at Home Depot for fixing some rot on our window sills. I don't know that it's any different than the automotive stuff but the color certainly throws people off.
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I am curious as to what the "white stuff" was that was used to complete the stock pattern?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR,
Really enjoy your videos and the effort and talent you portray, thanks for posting them. Your videos allow people like me who are in other fields of work see what is involved in what you do. Having had a custom wood stock basically self destruct after 7 days of solid rain on a BC hunt early in my hunting career I realized the importance of sealing a wood stock. Looks as though you have a pretty good handle on that.
Congratulations on your ACGG designation . Looks like the ACGG gave the designation for your stock work, your metal work looks every bit as detailed as your stock work . You need to be recognized for your metal work too!!

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD,

Matthew's metalwork is top notch, and so is his customer service.

Kurt

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 145 | Location: Woodville WI | Registered: 25 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moleman:
4WD,

Matthew's metalwork is top notch, and so is his customer service.

Kurt

moleman,
You missed the point . The ACGG has designations for the members, stock work, metal, engravers , etc..
4WD

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!

As someone who plies the same craft, I found your video inspirational. Thank you for taking the time to show what is involved in a custom rifle. Few are those, AR readers excluded, that can appreciate the time, dedication, and talent that goes into a rifle of that class.

Hopefully, we'll get to meet at a future ACGG annual exhibition.

Best wishes,

Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
MNR:

Simply awesome!

Can you tell us, where you learned that? Is it family business for generations or...?

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD,

I was just agreeing with you that his metalwork is fantastic. Gunsmiths must choose what ACGG membership categories they are applying for, and I don't know if Matthew even applied for metalsmith. I'm assuming he didn't apply, as I'd be very surprised if he wasn’t approved. He’s the Roberts half of the Richardson ad Roberts action after all!

Kurt

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 145 | Location: Woodville WI | Registered: 25 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
moleman,
Yes, some pretty outstanding metal work.
I was recommending Mr. Roberts should have the dual designation Stockmaker/Metalsmith on his ACGG profile so he doesn’t miss some potential business. Many of the custom gunsmiths on the ACGG website list dual designations and it helps potential clients when they are searching for custom work.
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your many compliments.
4WD: I greatly appreciate the encouragement regarding the metalwork, but for me it was a matter of doing one thing at a time. I've long admired the guild and it's talented members and took many years to feel that I had the adequate skills to join. I applied as a stockmaker as the projects I had available to submit were stockmaking related. There's certain criteria for projects submitted to the guild to be considered for each specialty (stockmaker, metalsmith, etc.) and at the time I didn't have enough projects to submit for the metalsmithing portion. I had several examples of stockmaking so that's what I submitted, and am very grateful to have been accepted. Someday I may organize work to submit for the metalsmithing portion, although the bar is quite high. For example, Glenn Fewless had a couple guns there with emaculate full ribbed integral barrels with details that are beyond what I've done before. Someday...

Moleman: My customer service is only top notch when I like the customer Smiler I loved working with you on your rifle!

Roger: Thank you! I hope to see you at the next ACGG show. When I started making these videos, my intent was to show just how much goes into custom gunmaking. It seems to have accomplished some of that, although it has had a bit of a negative impact as well. I've heard from some, "why does X cost so much, I saw it only took you 10 minutes in the video?" rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved it, and was fascinating to watch.

You and Aaron Little are the future of custom gun making in our part of the world.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another question if I may.

I am curious as to why you machined the inletting for the metalwork on the top of the stock (the barreled action) but you chose to inlet the bottom metal (triggerguard and magazine box) by hand with a hammer and chisel?

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Now I'll never be happy with a Factory Model 70...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello MNR,

I am really impressed by your work. Really.
Thank you for sharing this viedeo.
And congratulation for your membership.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say this was one of the most satisfying videos I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait to get a rifle completed. I’m looking forward to seeing what you turn out for your Moz trip. -Elijah

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have to say this was one of the most satisfying videos I’ve seen in a while"

This is the kind of thing that should be available from every member of the ACGG through the ACGG website. It makes it convenient for people to see the work, and develops interest in custom gun work. The congratulations for the beautiful custom rifle is definitely warranted, but the innovation of showing and marketing the work is what is best about this thread.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the compliments.

eamyrick:
Thanks Elijah,
I'm looking forward to working with you on your rifle. I'll send you some pics of the .404 when it's done.