Tools

New Fraser Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Being the contrarian, that storm door handle on the side sure does make it look unbalanced, opposed to an under lever.
I agree that the execution of the maker is wonderful and should be used on more attractive designs.

Jim

I bought an original .303 Fraser at an estate auction in England about 1974. The side lever is "much "nicer" for a deerstalker to operate, as it doesn't require the hunter to raise the gun nearly so much when reloading. And though they are hardly a rifle to be shot much from the bench except when checking loads, the rifle doesn't even have to be lifted from contact with the bags to reload.

HOWEVER, I hate Fraser's original sidelever's for another very practical reason. Unless everything in the action is scrupulously clean and undamaged in any way, even some factory .303 British ammo is simply too hot to extract reliably with that pitiful bit of leverage powered by a thumb.

That may be because the dimensions of .303 ammo have varied greatly over the years, depending on the maker and the time available for cartridge production. Even the Smelly had to have the chamber enlarged to function reliably in the first parts of trench warfare in WWI.

That's the reason I sold mine. I thought of barreling it, but couldn't come up with a cartridge I felt would be useful for a hills stalking rifle and be 100% dependable as to extraction.

I like nice art, but all my rifles have to be useable as tools too.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arky Pete,

you should purchase the Wesson #1 Long Range action, as I did.

I finally figured out mine needs to be a 450-400-3". Butch has agreed to chamber, since he builds DR's in that caliber and has reamers and gauges. McGowan will make an octagon barrel with tapered integral rib if you ask politely...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote