THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom Pre-64 Build-Custom Bottom Metal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Pre-64 Build-Custom Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to build a custom off a pre-64 standard action, thinking 30-06, 9.3, 375 ruger (unless ya'll have any other suggestions.) I have a complete action with bottom metal but just ordered a Blackburn BM unit. Is the custom bottom metal worth the upgrade? Other than aesthetics, what does it offer over the standard Winchester steel unit? Thanks guys.

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Often the aftermarket bottom metal units are set up for a cartridge or a family of cartridges; e.g. 30 06 family of cartridges. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. Keep us posted.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does figured walnut offer over straight grain walnut? It makes a CUSTOM rifle custom! That is why we do this, any one can just buy a rifle, when we make or buy a CUSTOM rifle or shotgun we get just what we want. No two stock blanks are the same, you get to pick the ONE that you like. You get to pick the stock shape, the scope mounts, bolt handle and the bottom metal. This is what makes this rifle your CUSTOM rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
What does figured walnut offer over straight grain walnut? It makes a CUSTOM rifle custom! That is why we do this, any one can just buy a rifle, when we make or buy a CUSTOM rifle or shotgun we get just what we want. No two stock blanks are the same, you get to pick the ONE that you like. You get to pick the stock shape, the scope mounts, bolt handle and the bottom metal. This is what makes this rifle your CUSTOM rifle.

Good comparison, but wood offers levels of aesthetic and functional customization many orders of magnitude above a piece of bottom metal.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is kinda what I was thinking. I have rifles with both and I sure appreciate a nice piece of wood a whole lot more. Both are nice for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think you'll long forget about the added cost of nice bottom metal in the future when you look over your project. I'd do it!

The stock is mostly about form. That eye popping blank? A bunch of the "eye popping" ends up on the shop floor anyway. Go for proper layout , quarter sawn if possible, good color and some reasonable figure in the butt..and you;ve got a keeper.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are probably right Mr. Wiebe. Also, I admire your work every time it pops up on the web.