New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do they know?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can be brushing a cat and another cat that is asleep two rooms away will run in and lay down for his brushing. How in the world do they know that another cat is being brushed?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a Momma cat that years ago would come into the kitchen when I opened the silverware drawer to take out the can opener to open a can of cat food, but NEVER came into the room when I opened the drawer for any other reason.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a smart cat

one of us
posted Hide Post
They hear that well.

quote:
Originally posted by rabbithabit:
I can be brushing a cat and another cat that is asleep two rooms away will run in and lay down for his brushing. How in the world do they know that another cat is being brushed?

Posts: 3651 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She knew what time you prepared her dinner and associated the drawer opening with food?

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I had a Momma cat that years ago would come into the kitchen when I opened the silverware drawer to take out the can opener to open a can of cat food, but NEVER came into the room when I opened the drawer for any other reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Bob, the feeding time was indiscriminate so that is what makes it so "twilight zone". I still don't get it. Zippy passed several years ago + her 'secret' passed with her. When she was ready to go, I just knew it as she was gone from the house + I had to find her under the back stairs trying to die alone. I brought her back into the house + my youngest son held her in his arms in front of the fireplace until she passed. I prefer to think that dying in a loved one's arms is preferable to dying alone.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Cats are satan’s minions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you know thats not true. Kinda medieval thought process. Case in point, during the 1600s the concept about witchcraft was predominant + of course, the cat was the medium. (When n reality there was an old lady that lived alone in her cottage outside of town with only a cat for company + that's how rumors got started). When the eradication of cats became prevalent, guess what? The rats took over + the Bubonic plague came to pass. Ignorance, then + now is no excuse. Obviosly I am a cat person. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's how our Priscilla Calico chose to go. We returned from a 2 day trip and she was missing. I looked for two days and found her under a bush in the back yard. She wanted to die alone. But we were with her when she passed.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
No, Bob, the feeding time was indiscriminate so that is what makes it so "twilight zone". I still don't get it. Zippy passed several years ago + her 'secret' passed with her. When she was ready to go, I just knew it as she was gone from the house + I had to find her under the back stairs trying to die alone. I brought her back into the house + my youngest son held her in his arms in front of the fireplace until she passed. I prefer to think that dying in a loved one's arms is preferable to dying alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 14 years ago my wifes old cat 'Stumpy' was in bad shape + the vet told us he had a goiter in his neck that could burst at any minute + it would be extremely painful so we had to make he choice to put him down as the kindest thing to do (although that was hard) + Linda held him in her arms as the shot was done + he passed. Beleive me, there was not a dry eye in the house. I hope I never have to do that again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son + his wife have a similar issue of their dying cat.
My son feels (+ I agree that since death is imenent to just leave him be in comfort + not stress with the carrier to only give him the 'knock out drop'. Let him pass with no stress in the arms of his family. I feel very strongly on this as I have had to deal with this issue from both sides. If you love your babies, + of course you do then this is a very traumatic experience. This however is a bone of contention between my son + daughter in law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Cats are satan’s minions

that is a terrible thing to say and a lie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter, just remember that in the middle ages "witch hunts" + their 'familiars' (cats) that were eradicated by superstitious idiots while REAL minions of the devil, I.E - the populace + their eradication of the cat population of Europe gave way to the start of the rat infestation that was the precursor of the "black death", R/e - Bubonic Plague. Other than being just great companions + foot warmers, they REALLY do have their place in the scheme of things. I know I an biased in my opinion but it's very true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This evening my wife came back from a shopping trip whose purchases included 3 cat collars + newly engraved heart-shaped pendants w/ the name ?/ + phone #. Tonight when she just approached them, they went to the far corners. I still don't get it how they know that SOMETHING is going to happen to them.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
All of God's creation was created to serve us and us created to serve Him. If there is any break in that model, it's on us not the animal.
I have always had a loyal Cat and have three rescues now. I do believe that it takes a more complex view of authority and ownership to be a Cat person. Shared power is part of a Cat relationship. Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, "Dogs have masters, Cats have servants." I couldn't keep a house without a cat.