Notify
Tools

Ballester Mollina 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BTW5
posted
Hi y'all!
I just inherited a 1911 like pistol made in Argentina, no grip safety, as new.

I am told it is made before WW2 and it is safe to shoot modern ammunition, can you confirm?

Thanks!

------------------
/
/
/

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posts: 493 | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the pistol has not been bubba gunsmithed, then it should be safe with standard factory 45 ACP ammo. I would check to see if the barrel has been over throated, if not, you should be OK.
Check the frame and slide for cracks, excessive wear, etc.
Also I would replace the recoil spring with a new one of 16 or 18 lbs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother brought one at 16yoa pre GCA 68 we shot rats with it at the local dump worked well for that.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a few of these pistols, many have been air dropped to the French Resistance during WW2. They are more accurate than an out of the box US Government 1911 A1 pistol.I was really surprised.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There was a really good article on them in the The Rifleman last year. The Argentines built 1911s under license for their military until this pistol was designed to replace it.

Ballester Molina

Well worth the time to read. You have a great shooter. I have a really clean one too; but ours are more likely arsenal refinished than like new. They saw a lot of service before they were imported to the US.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote