New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC Highways
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a month I'll be driving from NW Montana to Doug McManns place west of Williams Lake, BC for a moose hunt. Will probably cross into Canada near Eureka, MT and it's all new country to me. Would appreciate some helpful info on best roads, travel time, etc.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turn headlites on during day,watch for moose & bears and enjoy the scenery.There are no $20 speeding tickets in BC.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
Turn headlites on during day,watch for moose & bears and enjoy the scenery.There are no $20 speeding tickets in BC.

And if you speed over a certain limit, not sure how much, they'll seize the vehicle.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PhilR:
In a month I'll be driving from NW Montana to Doug McManns place west of Williams Lake, BC for a moose hunt. Will probably cross into Canada near Eureka, MT and it's all new country to me. Would appreciate some helpful info on best roads, travel time, etc.

Phil

The highway from the USA / Canada border North to Golden and then over to Revelstoke on Highway 1 is a unbelievably beautiful drive. Allow plenty of time though as the highway is mainly 2-lane and wildlife - sheep, elk, and deer abound. Most traffic will flow at the speed limit or slightly above (except for the testosterone-filled Albertan oil-workers in their rig-rockets who like to vacation in the area. Wink )

The Highway from Golden over to Revelstoke and through to Kamloops and continuing West to Cache Creek is usually in good condition and agai watch for wildlife.

Once you hit Cache Creek and head North to Williams Lake you will find a good deal of highway construction on Highway 97. 97 is the main North-South highway in the province and you will find plenty of commercial traffic and tourists on the road which may slow you down some. You will also probably encounter a good amount of wildlife.

You will head West on Highway 20 at Williams Lake and I really suggest you top off your fuel and grocery supply there before heading to Tatlayoko Lake.

Just West of Williams Lake you will drop down in elevation and cross the Fraser River at what is known as Sheep Creek. Keep your camera handy as view on the climb up to the Chilcotin Plateau from the Fraser River is breathtaking. Again watch for wildlife!

Once you hit the top you will think you drove into a different country as the topography changes dramatically.

Allow at least 2 days to get to Tatlayoko from the border crossing. Due to the wildlife you may want to avoid driving in the dark if possible. As mentioned drive with your headlights on and again - I can`t mention it enough - watch for wildlife!

Oh yes. While handguns are not illegal in Canada an Alien cannot bring one into the country without a ton of paperwork. The same holds for most AR type rifles which the Canadian government seems to consider them more dangerous than a Remington 740. Roll Eyes

Good luck with your hunt!

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
And if you speed over a certain limit, not sure how much, they'll seize the vehicle.

Grizz

http://www.icbc.com/driver-lic...points-offences.aspx

http://www.icbc.com/driver-lic...cle-impoundment.aspx

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just follow the trail of Tim Hortons, and you,ll be fine!

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cariboo, thanks for all the info. The route you describe sounds like the most scenic way to go, although it is rather circuitous. How are the roads from Creston up to Revelstoke? That route would shorten the drive a bit.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
It is a slightly longer trip as it winds through every small town in that part of the world. It is scenic - as is most of the province - with some interesting residents to be seen along the way. Wink

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you will be staying with Dennis before you "leave the country". If you are in town for a few days swing by the courthouse and say hi, I would like to meet you. Good luck with the moose, after taking that big bear this spring, you are on a roll!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Dennis is going with me to see the country and take lots of pictures, but he won't be hunting. I'll stop by and say hello....probably on the return trip in early October.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI