THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Terrible sheep hunt in the Yukon
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terrible sheep hunt in the Yukon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be posting a very scathing hunt report on a recent trip my hunt partner and I made to the Yukon. As you can tell from my by-line signature, I go on a lot of hunts. I have not been on one this bad before. I am sure there will be a lot of discussion on this one - so be on the alert. I will post shortly.

We have been trying to sort this out with the outfitter but he has resorted to name calling and misinformation - can you say "fake news". Very disappointing as this outfit was reputed to be a good one. We found out the opposite. We are also talking to the Yukon authorities about illegalities that may have occurred. No fun was had by all....

The bottom line was that I researched this hunt in detail. I talked my good friend into going. I booked direct (a mistake never to be made again as an agent may be able to solve this better than I can) and went with high expectations.

I had another hunt last year that did not turn out well. The agent stood up and worked hard to resolve. No one was happy but the agent was reliable and honest. I should know better by now.

Stay tuned.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely interested in reading your report as I'm planning a sheep hunt for 2020.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Can't even think of a bad outfitter in the Yukon....interested to hear your report too.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two bad Hunts in a row raises eye brows.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, my only bad hunt I've had was in Alaska also. My 'guide' was horrible and it was just he and I for what was suppose to be like 10 days for a sheep hunt.
After day 7 and still no sheep I called the outfitter and said pick me up. I didn't care.
I've hunted a lot of different countries and w/ different outfitters. This one took the cake.
Sorry about your hunt. I feel your pain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Can't even think of a bad outfitter in the Yukon....interested to hear your report too.

as a local yukoner there is more than one outfitter that i will not go even for a daily fishing trip ....

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This will be interesting

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about this. A bad hunt is an awful thing to experience. When it happens in a place like the Yukon or some other mountain destination, it is even worse due to the preparation necessary. I hope it works out for you.

I just direct booked for next year in BC. Your comments make me nervous.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowmanbob:
This will be interesting

yes sounds like it will be

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a fan of your hunt reports, i will be very interested to hear how this goes.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just read your BC Bighorn report. This may be payback for your '2 day' sheep hunt. Smiler
Seriously though awful sorry to hear about your bad hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:

Grizz

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/1241049642

I would not say there were two in a row.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz

Not two in a row, just two in two years. There are several good hunts in between. The other bad hunt was sorted out. This one has a ways to go. Will publish the report later this week.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KentK:
Dogcat, my only bad hunt I've had was in Alaska also. My 'guide' was horrible and it was just he and I for what was suppose to be like 10 days for a sheep hunt.
After day 7 and still no sheep I called the outfitter and said pick me up. I didn't care.
I've hunted a lot of different countries and w/ different outfitters. This one took the cake.
Sorry about your hunt. I feel your pain.

Did we annex the Yukon?

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe we did annexe Alaska .... lol

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LOL! I had it in my head it was part of AK and wasn't thinking. As soon as I hit send I realized my mistake.
Y'all are big enough w/o adding more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KentK:
LOL! I had it in my head it was part of AK and wasn't thinking. As soon as I hit send I realized my mistake.
Y'all are big enough w/o adding more.

This is the Yukon, Alaska ain't that far away. Still ours a couple of weeks ago. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were in a beautiful area. Would have been a lot more beautiful if it held any game.... where we were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

Grizz

Not two in a row, just two in two years. There are several good hunts in between. The other bad hunt was sorted out. This one has a ways to go. Will publish the report later this week.

The week is almost over.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Did no one watch "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon"? He wore that bright red uniform; definitely not from Alaska. And his dog, King.
On TV in the 50s. You young guys.....

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
tu2

quote:
I arrest you in the name of the Crown.................

Well, King, this case is closed.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Did no one watch "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon"? He wore that bright red uniform; definitely not from Alaska. And his dog, King.
On TV in the 50s. You young guys.....

And "Sky King" and "Sea Hunt." old

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely; and when our antenna, which was 1000 feet up the mountain, was pointing in the right direction, and a tree limb had not fallen on the two bare copper wires connecting it to the house, I could watch all those shows. Black and white of course.
Young people now do not have a clue what it was like then.......and kids could carry guns anywhere they liked and no one even blinked.
Sorry to the OP, whose original post is now OBE, it seems.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Sky King, last year I spent an interesting couple hours talking to the guy who still owns the plane and has a video set of the original tv series.

Yes the Yukon is most definitely not in Alaska. shame

I am also interested in hearing dogcat's report on what happened.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh ya....Penny....my first crush

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:

Trade NY and CA for the Yukon ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Originally posted by medved:

Trade NY and CA for the Yukon ...

lol no thank you....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Trade NY and CA for the Yukon Trade NY and CA for the Yukon ...

F--K That! they are way too close already.

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to understand this.

Am I correct that your complaint is that you saw no game on your guided hunt? Or is it that the service was poor? Or is it both?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Why hasn't the report been posted??

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m betting he’s trying to work something out with the outfitter!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is, I hope they get it sorted out, and let us know the outcome.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue is being sorted now. Will report when resolved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

take your time and resolving the issues is more important than anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
take your time and resolving the issues is more important than anything.

Plus One on that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, but this whole thread seems to provide yet another reason not to hunt Canuk.

Looking forward to your follow-up report.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:

Yeah, but this whole thread seems to provide yet another reason not to hunt Canuk.

All the complaining, he owes us the details.

Grizz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:

All the complaining, he owes us the details.

Grizz

Quote by dogcat/:

I will be posting a very scathing hunt report on a recent trip my hunt partner and I made to the Yukon. As you can tell from my by-line signature, I go on a lot of hunts. I have not been on one this bad before. I am sure there will be a lot of discussion on this one - so be on the alert. I will post shortly....

It would seem the op has used the influence of AR to get a satisfactory clandestine deal. We can only hope the next unsuspecting hunter is just as lucky with this guide.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote