Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 SPC on Musk Ox
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
Just came back from Muskox hunting,and got a nice bull using a 6.8 SPC with 115gr remington core lock. One bullet thru the heart is all that was required, as I was only 10 yards away. Did not recover the bullet as it exited. The bull lasted only a few seconds. I am very impressed with the ruger mini 14 in 6.8 SPC and what it can do. It took one bullet to kill a 8 foot grizzly,and now one shot on a bull Musk Ox.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Muskox hunt.
I've always considered them to be one of the few 'prehistoric' hunts that we as hunters can do.
Any pics?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Awesome! XCan you show us some pics?

It's interesting that everyone thinks you need a .338 to hunt deer these days.

Hell, I use all sort of guns because they interest me, but I bet if someone wanted the "best cartridge for muskox" people would start a the .375's and work up..

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
I would like to put pictures here, but I do not know how to post them.We got 2 musk Ox with the 6.8 SPC, 1 bull and 1 female. Temp was about -35 with out the windchill.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
email the pics to me at gatehouse68@gmail.com and I will pst them for you

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the 6.8spc. I built a few AR style's and had to have a bolt gun! It should be ready in a few months!

I've only shot deer but the reuslts have been excellent. 110grAB and 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters are the bomb!

Something about that little 270 cal bullet!

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Great pics of the muskox, I am just having trouble uploading them....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
Great pics of the muskox, I am just having trouble uploading them....

You're fired! flame Big Grin

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and thanks for sharing. I shot my muskox with a .300 WM and 200 gr Nosler. But, since these animals live out on the snowy tundra where they can't really get away, and they're not particularly spooky, I think most any deer caliber is adequate. The taking of a muskox isn't a hunt per se, but rather an exercise in survival at 40 below! Well done!

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Thank You GATEHOUSE for posting the pictures, but what happened to both me and my dads face? LOL

White North

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
Thank You GATEHOUSE for posting the pictures, but what happened to both me and my dads face? LOL

White North

I don't know! You guys look stretched out! sorry! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Okay, i know what happened now.

I was haivng trouble with your email so I fwded to my friend (and internet troublemaker) tod bartell. He didn't realize they were going up on AR so he messed with them as he thought it would annoy me (it did) anyway, nice muskox, sorry about the face smooshing! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
nice trophies .,,,Were they in a herd or solitary ?? Who made the Cuspuks and pants . Cuspuk is a Upik " I think , may be Nupiak " word for a pull over parka .. What boots did you where ect.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
The 2 we got were in a herd of about 30. My kamiks are made by steger mukluks, and my pants are made of polar bear hide made locally in my home town, the polar bear hide wind pants are very very warm, and my parka my wife made for me has wolverine fur trim.

White North

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
white north, congradulations on a nice trophy. Also congradulations to your son on the grizz

tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Way cool. Love the attire, too. Seriously.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Congrates that is absolutely awesome...

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I love the clothing, too. Must be warm and cozy!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just came back from Muskox hunting,and got a nice bull using a 6.8 SPC with 115gr remington core lock. One bullet thru the heart is all that was required, as I was only 10 yards away. Did not recover the bullet as it exited. The bull lasted only a few seconds. I am very impressed with the ruger mini 14 in 6.8 SPC and what it can do. It took one bullet to kill a 8 foot grizzly,and now one shot on a bull Musk Ox.

White North

Congratulations on a great trophy. Regarding the use of the 6.8 and other small caliber rounds for big game (particularly big bears). While many a large animal has been killed with a single small bore shot, MANY times more have been wounded and lost. Using a 115 grain rapidly expanding small game bullet in an animal with the muscle/bone structure of a brown bear should be placed into the "stunt" category. How about picking a round that will have the penetration/velocity and bullet construction to make a killing shot whatever the circumstance or angle.
I know that musk ox are not very big and that they are shot at very close range with essentially no chance of loss when wounded but the big boys need more cartridge which probably starts around 30-06 and goes up from there. I think we as modern day hunters have an obligation to use weapons that WILL cleanly take an animal under all realistic hunting conditions, not one that might if conditions are perfect.
Not wanting to start an arguement, just my personal perspective.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Years ago I read a book called "I Newligak" (spelling) it was the autobiography of an Eskimo at the turn of the 19th century around the time when the 22 Short was first released.

When he first got his hands on a "high performance 22 Short rifle" he headed out polar bear hunting and was very happy with how efficient the round was.

Guess it comes down to shot placement...

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:

White North

Congratulations on a great trophy. Regarding the use of the 6.8 and other small caliber rounds for big game (particularly big bears). While many a large animal has been killed with a single small bore shot, MANY times more have been wounded and lost. Using a 115 grain rapidly expanding small game bullet in an animal with the muscle/bone structure of a brown bear should be placed into the "stunt" category. How about picking a round that will have the penetration/velocity and bullet construction to make a killing shot whatever the circumstance or angle. I know that musk ox are not very big and that they are shot at very close range with essentially no chance of loss when wounded but the big boys need more cartridge which probably starts around 30-06 and goes up from there. I think we as modern day hunters have an obligation to use weapons that WILL cleanly take an animal under all realistic hunting conditions, not one that might if conditions are perfect.
Not wanting to start an arguement, just my personal perspective.

The Core Loc is a "big game bullet. I would also like to know how you determined that "While many a large animal has been killed with a single small bore shot, MANY times more have been wounded and lost." WHere did you get this information? Or is it simply your opinion?

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote