New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC wants to ban bear spray
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not an April Fools joke, just stupidity.

https://www.trailtimes.ca/news...ray-across-province/

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Ya, they don't really know yet how they are going to implement a ban of bear spray. Mostly it is intended for big urban areas where the street people, gang members and low lifes are using it to incapacitate their victims while they rape and pilage. But, the government knows they cannot take this tool away from hikers, etc., etc.

Long ago pepper spray was declared a prohibited weapon and no one can have it, but bear spray is the loop hole and always has been. I knew this would eventually be a problem and it has now become one.

There is some talk about an age limit for purchasing. There is talk about bylaws that prohibit it being sold or possessed in cities/municipalities, and a number of other ideas. None of which is going to prevent the scumbags from getting it and using it. Surprise, surprise. More 'Liberal Left' bullshit.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never blame the criminals.

might hurt their feelings,

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would not object IF they oked carrying a handgun and allowed anyone who wanted one to walk in and buy it without BS.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old tree planters joke about bear spray and bear bells.

How do you tell the different between black bear scat and grizzly bear scat?

Black bear scat contains berries and rodent hair.
Grizzly bear scat contains bear bells and smells like pepper.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started with the BCFS in 1965 and was a crew chief in silviculture circa 1969, here in the bear-rich Kootenays of BC. Bear spray, as such, did not exist then and we never had bear problems, then, in 1972, we got an NDP government.......

Frankly, I consider bear spray to be largely useless in bush work or living and, IF, from my seven decades of active bush life in Grizzly country, I THINK I NEED protection from bears, I carry an appropriate gun, period.

I also like Freon horns to warn bears of my presence and usually carry a couple on my pack belt. YMMV, of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started with the BCFS in 1965 and was a crew chief in silviculture circa 1969, here in the bear-rich Kootenays of BC. Bear spray, as such, did not exist then and we never had bear problems, then, in 1972, we got an NDP government.......

Less bears more bear hunting.

Make bears more respectful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Less bears more bear huntin

Multiple more out door oriented people, who really don't have a clue, in the woods to boot.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Less bears more bear hunting.

More bears less people! If humans are responsible for climate change, the solution is obvious, less people.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More bears less people! If humans are responsible for climate change, the solution is obvious, less people.

But it is not obvious.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
But it should be...almost 8 Billion and climbing. Some countries still breeding like rats.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But it is not obvious.

It's obvious but not politically correct to bring it up.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's obvious but not politically correct to bring it up.

I would say it is just the opposite.

It is very politically correct to say we have too many people and not enough bears.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
And I would go a step further PDS.....the years have taught me that bears make a lot better neighbours than most people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
But it should be...almost 8 Billion and climbing. Some countries still breeding like rats.

11.7 billion by 2100....and 10 countries will bear the majority of that....almost all in Africa except Indonesia aaaaaaaaand the USA(the only one via immigration).

Ever see Soylent Green?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
quote:

11.7 billion by 2100....and 10 countries will bear the majority of that....almost all in Africa except Indonesia aaaaaaaaand the USA(the only one via immigration).

Ever see Soylent Green?

Sure have, a classic with Charlton Heston. Smiler Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bill Burr, If you didn't bring a pencil ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WowBxdhTQ

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I'm with Bill Burr, If you didn't bring a pencil ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WowBxdhTQ

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bears at a small Yukon community. Enjoy, brian

https://www.theweathernetwork....uX?playlist=oLRZ3mum

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Those are some great bears! Not sure how cuddly they are ...

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This fits in with the NDP government idea of curbing people from going into the back country. They tried to block access to a wide portion of northern BC claiming Caribou protection, even though a big part of the area has never had Caribou in it.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're having a provincial election here shortly and one of our biggest fears is having another NDP government. Their potentially next environment minister accused Oil companies of owning slaves.

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Yes the NDP government is destroying BC, and you guys in AB saw what it was like when you had them voted in a few years ago. I hope the people out there remember what it was like when they were in last time when they vote, but your big centres are the problem, as they have become more left leaning over the years with the big influx of people. This is the same problem we have with the lower mainland and southern part of Vancouver Island.

To make matters worse, we have only had the NDP or Liberals to chose from for a number of years, which is like having no choice at all...both suck. The Conservative Party in BC is finally starting to make a come back, and the new leader is a northern boy from the Bulkley-Nechako area, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can make some inroads in the next election. Time will tell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what Kelly the liberals of bc were not conservative lol ... good luck there is not better here ... where liberals and ndp are sharing power ...

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
what Kelly the liberals of bc were not conservative lol ... good luck there is not better here ... where liberals and ndp are sharing power ...

Hey Phil....ya, that is what the Liberal party people like to say, that they are actually kind of conservative. What a load of BS. Hard to tell the difference between the Libs and the NDP. I'll be voting for the new Conservative party and hoping for the best. All you can do. Will be hoping also for Smith to get in next door in Alberta on Monday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes the NDP government is destroying BC, and you guys in AB saw what it was like when you had them voted in a few years ago. I hope the people out there remember what it was like when they were in last time when they vote, but your big centres are the problem, as they have become more left leaning over the years with the big influx of people. This is the same problem we have with the lower mainland and southern part of Vancouver Island.

To make matters worse, we have only had the NDP or Liberals to chose from for a number of years, which is like having no choice at all...both suck. The Conservative Party in BC is finally starting to make a come back, and the new leader is a northern boy from the Bulkley-Nechako area, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can make some inroads in the next election. Time will tell.

Praying you guys get things turned around up there. The warriors are sitting on the sidelines watching the weaklings destroy both of our countries.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
THIS is what Marxism looks like!!! First your Fireams THEN your Bear Spray!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
When in Glacier or Yellowstone, we carry UDAP spray-it is the best, BUT it is backed by other
items in a backpack. Can't carry that into BC or Alberta.

Chuck-
Ghost and Darkness is very incorrect....
Lt Col Patterson on the railhead construction, shot both maneless lions with a 303 SMLE Enfield rifle.
The two stuffed lions are in the Field Museum-Chicago.
Hollywood-is like the rest of California:
bear spray would work there. The Granola state.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote