THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    New Standard Mfg Single Action 45 Colt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Standard Mfg Single Action 45 Colt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
Just picked this up yesterday from the LGS.

First impressions are it's a beautiful,well built gun. Easily as nice as my USFAs and nicer than my Colt SAA.

Case coloring is a little loud but will temper over time.

Going to try it at the range shortly.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Did New Standard take over USFA?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Standard Mfg is owned by Connecticut Shotgun. My understanding is they have a father/son duo building these guns and those two have prior Colt/USFA experience.

Below is a link to a Q&A page on the guns.

https://stdgun.com/single-action-revolver-faq/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you guys can educate me a bit. I am familiar with CSMC, owning one of their SxS shotguns which I really like. But, having said that, $1800 for a single action revolver? What are you getting for this? I have a SS Ruger in 45 Colt which I really like, but it didn't cost me $1800!
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine fixed, sight, single action.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Standard Mfg is owned by Connecticut Shotgun. My understanding is they have a father/son duo building these guns and those two have prior Colt/USFA experience.

Below is a link to a Q&A page on the guns.

https://stdgun.com/single-action-revolver-faq/

love everything but the chambering. I would want 44-40/ 44 special convertible.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Glad to see they're putting out such a nice product. Please let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Perhaps you guys can educate me a bit. I am familiar with CSMC, owning one of their SxS shotguns which I really like. But, having said that, $1800 for a single action revolver? What are you getting for this? I have a SS Ruger in 45 Colt which I really like, but it didn't cost me $1800!
Thanks, Peter.

Very good question. I'd like to hear it as well.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Haven't looked at this thread in a bit.

This gun is every bit the equal of my 2011 built Colt SAA and my USFA 45 Colt as far as quality. Actually, it may be a little nicer then the Colt.

I also have a couple Ruger Blackhawks that I shoot and enjoy as well.

Why would someone buy one of these? It's the same reason some people buy a Chevy or a Cadillac, in the end they both get you there but in a different way.

Neither is right or wrong.

Here's a picture of a target I shot yesterday:

Still working on improving my shooting and some load development with this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful revolver, looks every bit as nice as a Colt. My understanding is that their internal parts are finished and fitted a lot better than Colt's. Their base price is about the same as Colt's, but Colt only produces the SAA when they feel like it, which isn't very often these days. Colt still isn't getting the cylinder throats on their .45's right, way over size and hard to make shoot well. My 3rd gen. Colt looks really nice but inside it was about as rough as a cast iron stove.
C.G.B.

Picture of Gary D. Peek
posted Hide Post
She's a looker. Too bad they say they have no plans for a .44spl........

JMHO-YMMV

dd884

Posts: 2 | Location: Avery, Texas | Registered: 18 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use the 'stimulus money' to buy one but the wife had other thoughts. It is 100% made in the USA, keeps Americans employed, what is wrong with that? Wife's logic is a bit fuzzy, but that is just me.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
No, it's not just you. They all are crazy, you just have to establish the level of craziness that you can live with. Also, that would be a nice one in 44 spl.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
They are quality revolvers and I have one in mind to get.

Note the quality in the screws...they all face north and south like a fine rifle.

Enjoy yours; they are very handsome revolvers.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Quick question (or maybe not)...

Are these modeled primarily on the 1st generation Colts? A hybrid of the different generations? I imagine it has the cylinder bushing, like the 1st and 2nd gen guns.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Correct on the removeable cylinder bushing, it also has the cone hammer.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. These sound very nice. I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but might get one anyway. Even 3rd Gen Colts are often in the mid-2k range, and the 1st Gen are prohibitive.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to own one if only for their beauty. From everything I've read so far they are superior to anything else ever made. I'd be afraid to cycle the action for fear of having the bolt leave a mark on the cylinder.
I have a limited edition Turnbull from the '80's. It's beautiful too but all Turnbull did was buy an unassembled USFA, put their renown finish on it, and assemble with not attention to the action. I complained to them about the insanely heavy hammer spring and got zero satisfaction. That prevented me from buying one of their 1892 take-down rifles.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:

Thanks. These sound very nice. I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but might get one anyway. Even 3rd Gen Colts are often in the mid-2k range, and the 1st Gen are prohibitive.
At the last couple of shows I attended, I saw more than one 3rd
Gem Colt SAA's priced at $1900 plus. Now that Colt is owned by some European company all the SAA's are going thru the roof.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote