New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a handgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let me start out by saying, I know nothing about handguns. I know I need to go try out a few to see what is comfortable to me. But I'm looking for something to carry on my waist when I'm riding my bike throught the woods, fishing on the river, bowhunting, etc., in case of big four legged critters, 150-500 pound critters. A more compact pistol is important, semi-auto would be nice just because of more round capacity, but a revolver would be OK, I'm a pretty decent shot, but the thing I want to make sure of is that it has enough punch. So what caliber should I look for? Anybody point me toward a particular pistol? Ammo for said pistol?

Thanks

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st go get yourself a 22 and learn how to shoot a handgun. its considerably different than shooting a rifle

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, Axel. butchloc gave you good advise to familiarize yourself with handgunning before running out and buying a big handgun for woods protection. That said, if the four-legged critters you are trying to protect yourself from are bear, I would consider a revolver in .44 magnum, load it with heavy for caliber bullets, and practice, practice, practice. JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ Whit, although any gun is better than no gun, magnums rule for larger 4 legged critters. Light wt & protable would be a 4" Taurs tracker or RugerBH in 41mag. There could be a case made for the G29 in 10mm, but it's really cloer to a hot 357mag than a 41mag. Still, you're more likely to run into 2 legged vermin as 4 so even a snub 357mag is better than a pocket knife.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Axel

I recommend you get a S&W 4" 44 Mag.

Take a look at the 629 and the 629 Mountain revolver.

Shoot 44 Special loads for practice, carry 300gr Federal Cast Core for animal protection.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Axel

I recommend you get a S&W 4" 44 Mag.

Take a look at the 629 and the 629 Mountain revolver.

Shoot 44 Special loads for practice, carry 300gr Federal Cast Core for animal protection.

Very good advice. thumb

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
1st go get yourself a 22 and learn how to shoot a handgun. its considerably different than shooting a rifle

Also a S&W 22 Revolver would be good to learn how to shoot, and practice with.

Considering how much 44 ammo costs today, it would pay for itself pretty quick.

You really need 2 handguns. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well as others said i say buy a 22 if for nothing else practice.The 44 mag is the round for your conditions.I personally prefer the ruger super redhawk the smith's have great triggers but that is all it does for me.I'll take a ruger anyday

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Taurus Tracker in .41 Magnum for this very purpose. I just carried it on a hog hunt just in case a wounded one did a "turn around" on us in the thick palmettos. It carried nicely. I didn't even know it was there. The only reason I went with 41 was that I already had three and no 44s. I sighted in with Federal Cast Cores and just went hunting. I didn't have time to load my own.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I've pretty much settled on the .44 mag. after doing alot of research and seeing what you guys have to say. I was originally going to go with a Taurus but I heard too many bad things about quality and customer service so I think a Ruger 4" it is. Unless I can find a S&W for a comparable price.

And yes a .22 is in the works too. Just haven't decided what kind I want.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
Welcome AXEL19!! wave
Just remember, in situations where you have to take on the 4-legged critters, you need to become very comfortable with shooting double action. Taurus has come a long way so don't count them out. And get the pistol you really want. If you want a S&W, get it. Don't regret the pistol you had to "settle for".

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
Thanks for the responses. I've pretty much settled on the .44 mag. after doing alot of research and seeing what you guys have to say. I was originally going to go with a Taurus but I heard too many bad things about quality and customer service so I think a Ruger 4" it is. Unless I can find a S&W for a comparable price.

And yes a .22 is in the works too. Just haven't decided what kind I want.

Thanks guys.

The 4" Ruger is a good choice, tough as tanks, reliable & accurate. A DA is no better than a SA when using magnums for accurate defensive shooting IMO. The recoil is such that you are cocking the SA during recovery & placing fast accurate shots will be easier in SA mode than DA mode. Yes I have tried it & yes I have timed it, there is little to no diff. in speed but accuracy is much better. & In def. against an animal, you are likely only getting off 1 or 2 shots before the animal is on you. The DA biggest asset is faster reloading, which for SD against armed men is valid, against claws & fangs, less so.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a taurus 41 ti tracker that I use for the very purpose mentioned. I shoot 215 hard cast in it . shot a nice 8 pt whitetail with it at about 60 yards last fall.

I don't put a lot of loads thru it put did load up some 215 hard cast at 830 that is a nice mellow paractice load.

My carry load is the same bullet at 200fps faster thats all I can get ut of it with out having sticky cases.

My son finshed his 225 black bear with it didn't have any time blowing thru the bears scull and brain at 10 feet chooping a nice hole.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote