Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

automobile concealed carry
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased a Glock 23 and was wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to carry it while in a car. I want easy access, but also want to be discreet. I have an '05 Maxima if that helps. Thanks Pd

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Well in my state, if the weapon is one step away, it is illegal. This is of course if you dont have your CCDW. This means under the seat and in the back seat is a no-no. In the glove box, in a snapped holster is good. I dont think I would want mine anywhere else. The car shifts items around and I wouldnt want my toy getting scuffed or misfiring.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I carry my Glock 19, and for that matter of fact,
in Comp-Tac FBI Slant paddle holster.
Comp-Tac

Their C-TAC is also good Inside the Waistband model that can be canted.
This slant/cant makes the carrying of a pistol on you, in a vehicle, very comfortable.

The folks at Comp-Tac are pleasant to do business with, and the owner Gregg Garrett is a Master Pistol Shooter.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that have a carry permit, so what I've found most do is to get a plastic holster and stick it into the crack between the drivers seat and the center counsel portion. The other one that sees quite popular is to stick it underneath the counsel

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a cross-draw holster?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find a off side shoulder holster easier to draw sitting down then most anything.
Concealed hip holsters are very hard to draw from sitting and belted in.

A fanny pack isn't to bad But I find I end up taking mine off in a vehicle and setting it on the seat by me.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who still carries with a fanny pack. I've read through here a couple of times It depends on your state, in Ohio it has to be locked in your glove box or visible on your hip if you have a permit. Without it is illeagal to transport a loaded firearm. In Virginia it is illeagal to carry in a vehicle with out a permit but if you have a permit you have more options. Usually it's either on me or holstered under the seat.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most comfortable automobile carry I've found in the 18 years I had a permit is a right handed, muzzle forward belt holster worn on the front of the left side. This sits the butt of the 1911 at the right angle for a cross draw with the right hand.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
A small of the back holster can be uncomfortable,but is out of the way of seat belts.It can also be reached if you are being car-jacked.Just start going for your seat belt and reach behind yourself.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't practiced drawing from it while seated in the car, but I wore my Kel-Tec P3AT for a whole weekend road trip with my wife and daughter in a Thunderwear holster. I asked my wife if she had been aware of it, and she had not.

It's a comfortable way to carry a handgun, but if you are not conscious of the adjustment of things, you will appear to have an erection while seated.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you try in the map pocket of your driver's side door. Learn to draw with your left and move it to your right. I press a wool cap down over it to conceal it, and to give me the option of pulling out an innocent looking hat if the situation calls for it.

This is a very convenient location if you need to grab it on the way OUT of the vehicle or to get to it quickly from the outside.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 26 & Sport/Compact plastic holster mounted (w/screws & spacers) permanently inside the center console on my Chevy Avalanche (on driver sidewall of console). Very rigid and fast to aquire.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
I'm assuming that have a carry permit, so what I've found most do is to get a plastic holster and stick it into the crack between the drivers seat and the center counsel portion. The other one that sees quite popular is to stick it underneath the counsel

Exactly how I carry my Glock 20 in both my car and my truck...in a plastic Glock "sport" holster between the console and the passenger's seat.

I put it on the passenger side of the console as I almost never have a passenger, and I don't want to be sitting wedged against it when I need it. Being ambidextrous, that means as the pistol comes out of the holster in my right hand, there is nothing against the back of my hand which might prevent my trigger finger from instantly going into the trigger guard if desired....and I can continue steering the vehicle with my left hand.

Also, if I tip it back to where it is between the console and the seat back when I get out of the car, to the casual observer the plastic grip and black back end of the slide just appear to be part of the seat belt assembly. So far I have not run into anyone who wanted to steal a seat belt.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote