Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning, Folks;

I'm looking for some recommendations. I need a M1911 in .45acp with a commander or shorter barrel and maybe a shorter than full length grip.

What's out there? Dependability is the most important quality, but cost is important, too.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

posted Hide Post
Almost everyone makes 1911s in full-size, Commander, and Officer's models.

What is your budget?

You can spend anywhere between $400 and $5000 (or more depending on features/materials).

Two that I have shot are the Kimber Ultra Carry and the Springfield EMP. I liked the Kimber more as it shot better and felt better under recoil.

If you want a well-made, accurate 1911 that is very affordable, look at Rock Island Armory's offerings.

I have (full-size) 1911s from Kimber, Colt, Smith & Wesson, and my RIA 10mm outshoots all of them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot this particular model but the STI Elektra is everything you asked for, but ......the MSRP on it is $1349. STI 1911's are made in Texas and are what I would consider top of the line. Like was said previously, there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugers SR1911's should be considered also

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the end of last summer one of our regular Steel Challenge shooters was wringing out a beautiful 1911. It used a Commander slide on an Officer's frame. I believe he said it came from Gunsite (limited edition??). It was very pretty and it looked like it would carry well.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The Gunsite 1911 is right up there. I had one until the divorce. When I bought it 16 years ago it was $1700.00. The STI's are good but pricey. I know the owner + the mfg. facility is 30 minutes from here.Honestly if you want the best of both worlds; i/e price + resale value,consider that Colt has reintroduced the 70 series. I saw new ones in the box at the last gun show going for $799.00. In 45 + 38 super.Now if you mean to own this for life (like we all do,until we don't) try the Rock Island,Rock River, + just about everyone under the sun. I have learned over time that the resale value can be valuable (pun)in your future.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that almost all of the above recs aren't valid, but, IMO, why reinvent the wheel. Just find a good used Colt Commander at a decent price and it will do all you need and pretty much be worth what you paid for it or more in the future if your requirements change. The small Kimber is a good pistol as well, but, in general, my observations are that the smaller they get, the more likely they are to have a misfunction.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I don't remember the details but the differences with shortest barrels is such that light bullets will do better .So if you have a problem with heavies try 185 gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Gato, I don't remember the details but the differences with shortest barrels is such that light bullets will do better .So if you have a problem with heavies try 185 gr bullets.

Mete:

I'm not trying to start an argument here and I'm not a 1911 expert although I own more of them than most gun shops. This goes back to Jim Clark (may he and Jimbo RIP) who commented to me many years ago that the Officer's model Colt was "a bridge too far" and that making one work reliably was a PIA. I've had more jams with smaller 1911s than with larger ones. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

At any rate, here is a quote from an article written by Tim Lau in 2014:

quote:
I’ll end with an experience at a marksmanship course a few years back. My good friend, a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fanatic Dean Caputo, and I were attending a course with Larry Vickers. Dean was shooting his Colt Officer’s model that he had deemed 100% reliable. Before a scored course of fire, I asked him, “Are you sure your pistol is going to work?” He gave me that look like I had just snuck out of his sister’s room four hours after the prom. Much to my amusement, his pistol choked halfway through the course of fire. Now Dean has quite a bit of 1911 experience, and immediately diagnosed the problem. He had just over 200 rounds through the pistol without changing the recoil spring, and the Officer’s model is very sensitive to weak recoil springs. A spring change was all it took to get the gun back up and running (for the next 200 rounds.) Contrast that with a Gen 2 Glock 19 he’s had for decades. I think he was on the original spring that came with the gun, and it had miserably failed the armorer recoil spring check. Yet it kept chugging right along through an entire GSSF match. The on site armorer examined the gun and upgraded just about every small part with the latest generation versions.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

I'm not trying to start an argument here and I'm not a 1911 expert although I own more of them than most gun shops. This goes back to Jim Clark (may he and Jimbo RIP) who commented to me many years ago that the Officer's model Colt was "a bridge too far" and that making one work reliably was a PIA. I've had more jams with smaller 1911s than with larger ones. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
Though I have fired countless rounds through many 1911s over a period of decades I have personally owned less than a dozen. Therefore, I happily yield to your experience and the experiences of those who you reference.

However, my limited experience with the smaller models, Defender and New Agent, is that they are very reliable in the 9mm versions.

I carried a concealed .45 on the job for several years but it started giving me hip pain. I switched to a New Agent and wore that for my last few years on the job. It was much lighter and easier to conceal. Before making the switch I fired the heck out of the new gun to make sure it was reliable. It was. Initially, I had to get used to the idea of carrying a 9mm instead of the .45. But once I gained confidence in the New Agent I didn't have a problem with that.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Kimber Ultra Pro Carry, 3" barrel. Small production guns can be problematic or finicky at best.. I have been fortunate with this gun as it has shot everything I have put thru it and runs very reliably, the only malfunctions I have had have been operator induced.
This is my EDC gun of choice.

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote