THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis O/U Double Rifle !!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis O/U Double Rifle !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a Chapuis catalog from Dale and discovered that Chapuis also makes an O/U double rifle chambered in 9.3x74R.

They are very nice looking .... does anyone have any experience with them? I'm going to try and contact Dale but how are the prices compared to the SxS UGEX?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB
I have handled the Chapuis O/U. They are nice as O/U's go.

I very much like the handling qualities of a SXS better.

Besides my eyes go like this oo not like this 8. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Here you go Tony.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Here you go Tony.

Hog Killer

Or this:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles wave, I just "stole" your version. clap

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't let the "experts" here deter you from considering an o/u double rifle.

actually they are known to be easier to regulate and (this is heresy)they may even shoot better than a side x side.

if the side x side was the do all end all of gun and rifle design then why is the shotgun world so dominated by o/u ??

your answer please. got none ?? well o/u point out faster and the single sighting plain is easier to use.

the championships are held by o/u today - they have replaced the s x s at the traps.not even the oldest codgers bring their s x s when there is real shooting.

i personally prefer side x side rifles but wouldn't stop from getting an o/u if it suited my needs.
the accuracy is the most important attribute, along with reliability.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Shooting clay discs and cape buffalo are two different things. The shotgun argument is not valid IMO.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I have had many opportunities to handle the Chapuis O/U.

For god sake don't try it.
This double has a fantastic balance. The only one in the same category is Andre's Mertens double, the famous Browning

But I love S/S....... even though this perfectly balanced O/U is a certain killer.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
don't let the "experts" here deter you from considering an o/u double rifle.

if the side x side was the do all end all of gun and rifle design then why is the shotgun world so dominated by o/u ??
Your answer please. got none ??

Because they are shotguns, used in a shotgun game!

quote:
well o/u point out faster and the single sighting plain is easier to use.

the championships are held by o/u today - they have replaced the s x s at the traps.not even the oldest codgers bring their s x s when there is real shooting.

In the shotgun games there are never more than two shots fired! Reloading is done at leasure, while moveing to the next station.

quote:
ROSCOE
one of us
Posted 03 December 2006 01:54 Hide Post
Shooting clay discs and cape buffalo are two different things. The shotgun argument is not valid IMO.

Roscoe's statement above is right on the money! Reloading an O/U with a cape Buffalo closeing on you fast is not my idea of an effecient use of time or dexterity!

That makes little difference in this case, because DB Bill is not going after Cape Buffalo with this thing anyway, and for wild boar, and plains game it will be fine!

I have a 9.3X74R O/U double rifle, but it will not be used in the field for dangerous game, but for deer, Moose, black bear and Caribou, it's a go!
beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the quarry does NOT have a long term track record of stomping, clawing, chewing, goring or otherwise ending my existence in a manner not suitable for the video to be shown on prime time TV; then an O/U would be great. For the historical link, or as a DGR give me two SxS, not stacked.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a proper fitting double rifle should be an extension of you. when you raise it to your shoulder the sights should be in line with the target you are looking at.
an o/u makes this easy since there is a single sighting plane. and most o/u come with auto ejectors to facilitate fast reloading.
in a serious charge situation where you are truly in danger you will never get off more than two shots. if you do the situation was not serious/ life threatening.

while i prefer s x s double rifles the o/u has attributes no s x s can. but if you don't want to be confused by reality just skip this , ok

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got two U/Os - a 243 and a 375H&H, both scoped. I find it relatively easy to get a load which regulates with both the scope and iron sights. Ejectors are essential if you want to load an U/O reasonably quickly.

One advantage of a SxS is that you can carry it with your hand around the action, as long as it's not scoped.

I prefer SxS for all the reasons stated above but for a scoped double I lean towards the U/O. Sadly the way my eyes are going (at age 49) I see that my future hunting may require a scope.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My o/u double handles as intended as a quick lightweight 20 gauge, hmm by the way that is the gauge of the second barrel set to it.

Ohh on the bottom pic is my 16 gauge Gecado included, she is made in 1922 in Beglium, served as a 1:e prize in a shooting contest to a service man at A1, a military post in the south of Sweden in 1931, all according to the silver plaque inbeddes in the left side of the stock.

Did I mentioned that she is nearly 99% in the steel and 95+% in the wood!?

I just love auctions and the fact that people generally don´t know what they are looking at.

Best regards Chris