Find
Notify
Tools

NitroExpress?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Hey, what happened to NitroExpress.com? I haven't been able to access the site for a few days....

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They got hacked. They had hoped to be back yesterday. Guess it is taking longer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This from the site owner...

"The NE website and forums are down at the moment. Someone hacked the ISP's server and the NE is down as a result as well. Hopefully up and running again before long. ISP support staff not working during public holidays have no doubt delayed it a bit."

I'd love to see someone 'hack' the prickholes who do that kind of crap.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
IMO AR has always been a sister site to NE and I guess Saeed wouldn't mind?, so till NE is up and running I'd just like to propose a toast to wish us that are NE members as well - Happy New Year here on AR - MAY YOUR RIFLES REGULATE TO ETERNITY !

beer to NE and AR DRSS fraternity !

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Some lowlife must have done a real number on NE so hope John can get it back on line sooner rather than later. I found AR from the NE site and habitually visit both daily.

Best to all,

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mouse!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No wonder I have not been able to log on the site. Wish good luck NE and God's speed.
Happy New year NE members.
mike b 470

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG-

quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Some lowlife must have done a real number on NE...

From what John was saying, it looks like the attack was on the service provider.
I'm getting the sense that the NE machines and datalog will likely be OK.

Cross a finger!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Hey, what happened to NitroExpress.com? I haven't been able to access the site for a few days....

Apparently more serious than people thought. I heard from another NE member all data may be lost. Its been down a very long time which tells me it may have been wiped out and no backup exists? A tragic situation. Only should take 24-48hrs if the server is operational, but if they changed servers and restore from a backup that may be faster and more secure given this has happened before.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
Apparently more serious than people thought. I heard all data is lost.

Hopefully there's a backup somewhere.
What a great deal of information to go to dust.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hopefully John will stop by and give us an update about the status. It'd be a sin for all the information to be lost forever.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
VG-

quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Some lowlife must have done a real number on NE...

From what John was saying, it looks like the attack was on the service provider.
I'm getting the sense that the NE machines and datalog will likely be OK.

Cross a finger!

Cheers
Tinker

The provider was likely hacked into by the world wide hacking of providers by Wikileaks because of someone that provider host, and likely has nothing to do with NE per say! NE is simply collateral damage, IMO.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac-

I was on the site the moment it was blasted.
One moment fine the next moment *poof*

The screen image was replaced by this message:
(and I quote)

quote:

Hacked by The Commender

-Tunisian C00deR-
-RooT-

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_input() in /home/nitroexpresscom/public_html/ubbthreads/logout.php on line 27

Then, moments later the image changed to this:

quote:

Hacked by The Commender

-Tunisian C00deR-
-RooT-

Warning: main(languages//showflat.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nitroexpresscom/public_html/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 26

Warning: main(languages//showflat.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nitroexpresscom/public_html/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 26

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'languages//showflat.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/nitroexpresscom/public_html/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 26

Since then the image has changed to a much more graphic-rich stream of islamic anger related imagery, including rants from the hacker discussing the act as a component of their 'world war 3' contribution.

From some web research on this hacker and other related attacks from them on other service providers, my assumption was (also) that NE wasn't necessarily directly targeted, but was a 'shotgun blast' casualty from the bigger ISP attack.

Still sucks, and I hope John somewhere/sometime has done off-site hard backup of the site.
That's pretty much the professional standard for a body of data could justify archival protection.

We'll see!

Cheers
Tinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tinker! I wasn't aware of the problem till i tried several days in a row to log on to NE with little success, and then saw the info on AR about what had happened. Eeker

I too hope John gets back without too much damage, or loss. He's a nice guy and I hate to see him wiped out in the wake of someone else's foolishness!
............................. killpc

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Mac!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way -- are you going to make it to the Reno SCI convention?
I'd like to meet you, and when you come I'd like you to bring a select handful of your older, more eclectic guns and rifles for me to take from you.
I then can care for them here on my ranch and keep them at the ready for when you return for a chase through our ridge behind my plott hound on cougar!!

tinker focuses his best Luke Skywalker *force* in Mac's general direction...

That and we can have a beer.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've thought it through with similar schedule metrics...

quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
...which tells me it was wiped out and no backup exists. A tragic situation.

...and I still hope for the best. Although there's some chance that John's site is simply waiting in line for it's turn at the ISP for restoration, my sense is similar to yours.

When the site went down and I saw the messages on the screen replacing the NitroExpress graphics, I got the sinking feeling in my gut that it was bad.
It's possible that the hacker managed to do physical damage to the ISP's facility and infrastructure that could possibly be slowing restoration, if restoration is possible.

I agree on the 'tragic' language.
That site definitely has(had?) a special atmosphere which I don't see elsewhere on the web.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:

Apparently more serious than people thought. I heard all data is lost.

I am an administrator on NE.com. When I saw the site down I emailed John Hahn to inquire. Let me relate his exact reply which he sent to me on December 31:

Roscoe

The server of the ISP NE is hosted on was hacked.

As usual the ISP is uncommunicative, and while they have initiated action to see what the “problem” is, that is all the information I have got.

It was hacked on the 24 or 25th of December and of course with the holidays and public holidays they probably don’t have many staff working.

Another Aussie hunting forum was also hacked John Griffin told me.

Just have to wait and see what the support staff can do about it. Nothing really I can do at the moment.

The hacker claimed to be from the Middle East btw and posted some sort of graphic before that was taken down.

When the site is back up, will have to see what other options we should pursue. This ISP has now been hacked two times in two months.

John H

You can see that John makes no statement that data was lost. Were that so, I believe he would have told me.

I haven't bothered John since then and have heard nothing further from him. I do believe if things were as bad as to lose all data that John would have been in contact with the moderators and administrators of NE.com before putting such information to the public. So it seems we wait.

One of the tasks I perform for NE.com is to archive photographs on the NE.com server, thus avoiding the red "x" in a box. Just a few minutes ago I logged on to the server I access for this purpose and found everything there. In addition, my email communication to and from John (just mentioned) were using his email address "@nitroexpress.com". They went through without a hitch.

I don't know whether you keep an eye on DoubleGunshop.com. I do. It was down for a month or so during November and December because of some unexplained complications. I have no idea how a forum works, being totally unfamiliar with the software that drives them. I do know that the ISP server I use in my business (GoDaddy.com) claims it protects data with off-site backup.

Let's maintain our optimism and wait.

Roscoe Stephenson
"CptCurl"

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I was going to call you to ask, but you beat me to it here.
I should call you anyway!

I hope that NE gets ironed out, and I'll maintain an optimistic attitude.

Cheers
Tinker

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I have long felt that anyone who infects another's computer should be infected. Ebola or the bubonic plague would be appropriate . . .

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wish John all the best in recovering from this assault.

Buchseman

Posts: 11 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
To correct one poster’s un-substantiated rumour mongering.

And to inform everyone else whom is concerned.

1. If it hasn't come from me, ie the “all data has been lost" comment, it has come from someone with no real information and it is just rumour mongering.

2. Initially all I got from the ISP was they were "looking into it." The site was hacked Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Probably minimum to no staff working that day.

3. I don't get any reports via the ISP on progress via their online support system, so telephoned. They are reluctant to admit it, but it is obvious an entire server or more was hacked. It wasn't the NitroExpress site specifically, it was the whole server. At least one other shooting site in Australia went under at the same time, as did probably many other sites. The ISP's domain name server appears to have been affected.

4. The ISP claims to have backups available. A telephone call today, they requested a particular file to assist them with restoring the site, or speeding it up.

5. NitroExpress operates on three different servers. Two are on another company's servers. Only one out of three was hacked, but that one included the domain name server info.

For example the entire extensive Nickudu Files collection of online books and articles is located elsewhere, as is the very extensive collection of double rifle graphics and photos.

Thanks to our many members and visitors whom wish the best. Hackers are a curse on the internet to any web site or service.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck John!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Progress. See the graphics above are now working. tu2

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I can now access the site by ftp and the files and directories seem intact. Won't be able to test out the database for the forums until the domain names are working, and so far, no result.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Looks like there is a chance that the data and photos can be saved; keeping my fingers crossed!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
I can now access the site by ftp and the files and directories seem intact. Won't be able to test out the database for the forums until the domain names are working, and so far, no result.

well you had me worried for awhile.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But Sinner, whether you have all the data or not, if the DNS data / server etc is gone / not working etc etc, then no one can / would be able to find it.

As I say, if the traffic lights aren't working,
chaos ensues !

And even if / when it is put back up on line, it can take 24 hours to promulgate around the world etc through all the servers.

Bad thing to happen, bad timing (staff wise).

Hope it all works out for John.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The NitroExpress.com website and forums are still offline and are being restored from a backup. Due to the volume of sites affected and being restored, they estimate it could take 24 to 48 hours to restore.

New hardware has also had to be installed. The hacker must have done a really thorough job it seems.

The DNS now seems to be pointing OK to the new location and server, which will currently bring up a maintenance page.

Here's hoping. Soon!

John H.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates John..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NitroExpress.com website and forums are still offline and are being restored from a backup. Due to the volume of sites affected and being restored, they estimate it could take 24 to 48 hours to restore.

New hardware has also had to be installed. The hacker must have done a really thorough job it seems.

The DNS now seems to be pointing OK to the new location and server, which will currently bring up a maintenance page.

Here's hoping. Soon!

Good to hear, looking forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NitroExpress.com website and forums are still offline.

Here's hoping. Soon!

You should consider using a new server, that may remedy things faster and be much more secure.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's hoping. Soon!

Hang in there John, rumors always fly around but hard work most always prevails in the end too!

So here's wishing you a pre-emptive happy 2011! Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroX-

Great news, and thanks for the update.

...now if only my Luke Skywalker gig could only do so well...

quote:
tinker focuses his best Luke Skywalker *force* in Mac's general direction...

...but something tells me that Mac ain't gonna budge on that one.

Cheers
Tinker

posted Hide Post
I've been feeling like a bit of an addict lately. The temporary loss of NE (still crossing my fingers) has been one of those "you don't realize what you have until it's gone" kind of deals.

Still wishing you the best John,

Buchseman

Posts: 11 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's hoping. Soon!

Any further up-dates John.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://nitroexpress.com/

It was nice to see the main page back up on line!
Looks like there's more work to go, but progress is encouraging.

Best wishes in the effort!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://nitroexpress.com/

It was nice to see the main page back up on line!
Looks like there's more work to go, but progress is encouraging.

Best wishes in the effort!

Cheers
Tinker

yes and yes

slowly buth steady

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote