THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    K B5 500/416 aimpoint micro mounted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K B5 500/416 aimpoint micro mounted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that'll work! To hell with blasphemy...you have to see it to shoot it.

Posts: 20096 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Norsk!
It looks very good.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Looks like that'll work! To hell with blasphemy...you have to see it to shoot it.

I agree! I've never undewrstood the objection to mounting a speciality sight on a double rifle, especially if there is a need becasue of poor eyesight!

Having said that, The picture below seems to show the sight far out of line with the irons for windage, The sight seems pointing far to the left and may require more adjustment than is available in the sight. Am I seeing things?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is probably just the picture. Looking through the tube i can almost align the iron sights but the rear sight disappears just before they are aligned. The dot seems to be a little high and to the right (but not much). Only range time will tell however.

I have 20/20 sight but I see a lot more shooting a dot than when iron sights cover the target. Important when hunging dog is bouncing around the moose Wink

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That's most likely it Norsk! I know what you mean about dogs getting in the way of shots. Years ago a friend and I had a pack of lion and bear dogs in New Mexico, and when they treed a bear on the ground we had to be extra careful not to hit one of the dogs!

Good luck with your range work with the sight!
......................................................................................... BOOM........................... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be opposed to any and all optics on a double. I've long gotten over that as my astigmatism gets worse with age. These sights just make sense on a double, a sight like that extends the use of your double well into ripe old age.

I'm all for them! Nice job on yours BTW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting at a 100 yard target sitting on a brick I can keep 5 rounds within 8 ring on a 100 yard target. Sight was dead on lasersighted from the store.

I am getting superstitious, this rifle just seems to work effortlessly no matter what I do to it (loads, sights etc)!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did some long range testing today.

150m 2 inch group (4 rounds) sitting, no sling or rest.. Bullet dropped around 50 cm (1.5 foot)

300m. One miss and one on paper (aimed 100 cm high)

I am hitting clay sized targets at 150 yard range with regularity. Who said double rifles lacked accuracy! Wink

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I hope you are shooting with both eyes open. If dot looks off center it is only an optical illusion. I have it on my bear rifle.

Great shooting,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes both eyes open. I have a lot of experience shooting IPSC with .38 super open gun (aimpoing comp) so shooting with dot comes very naturally for me.It looks to be aligned with the iron sights.

The competition target shooters on the range looked at my rifle (is that a shotgun?) with disdain when i assembled it at the range but were very curious after seeing that I was actually hitting their 100m targets with it. They said "no way you are shooting our electronic targets to pieces with that!". One said "Doing repeated controlled trigger pulls with a caliber like that isn't possible but somehow you are doing it". I had enough after 20 rounds (very focus demanding). They told me to quit playing around with vintage rifles get myself a 6.5x55 target rifle and start competing Wink I am thinking, why not do both? Seeing giant (but moderate pressure) cartridges, people think it is a lot worse recoil wise than it actually is.

A lot of rifleshooters also seem to be prejudiced against doubles and think they are inaccurate dinosaurs. A lot of fun to show them that this is not true, at least in modern doubles like the k-gun at least up to 150 meters. Of course they were shooting 1-2 inch groups a 300 yards offhand from prone. I think my double is crossing at between 100 and 150.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
electronic targets

Electronic targets? Please explain.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Targets where you get your hits displayed on a screen, not sure what it is called in english...