New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new Chapuis SxS double incoming. It is regulated for Hornady DG series ammo I believe. Is it safe to feed it a regular diet of DG solid bullets for practice? The solids for reloading are considerably cheaper than the softs. Don't want to do harm to my new baby...
Thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 704 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I shoot Hornday solids and softs in my old Lang .450 no2. If the solids are lead core and are the size of the bore at the grooves, then all should be fine. My Lang has digested hundreds of rounds over the post 20+ years with no problem.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxhound:
I have a new Chapuis SxS double incoming. It is regulated for Hornady DG series ammo I believe. Is it safe to feed it a regular diet of DG solid bullets for practice? The solids for reloading are considerably cheaper than the softs. Don't want to do harm to my new baby...
Thanks
Rick

Hello foxhound,

You might want to section one of the bullets to see how its made. Apparently the new Hornady DGS and DGX bullets have a 1/10th inch thick "steel" jacket with a .002" thick copper wash. Recovered bullets have shown the thin copper was worn away by the rifling lands resulting in steel-on-steel contact in the barrel. When I called Hornady and questioned them about possible reduced barrel life - they had no answer.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
buckstix
Sounds like there is potential for Bad Cess for Marketing.
Their lab should have already tested the hardness of their bullet steel WRT that of rifle barrels and have an answer ready for you.

And other inquiring minds that may ask now the issue has come up.

dpcd ? what do you think?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by foxhound:
Thanks
Rick

Hello foxhound,

You might want to section one of the bullets to see how its made. Apparently the new Hornady DGS and DGX bullets have a 1/10th inch thick "steel" jacket with a .002" thick copper wash. Recovered bullets have shown the thin copper was worn away by the rifling lands resulting in steel-on-steel contact in the barrel. When I called Hornady and questioned them about possible reduced barrel life - they had no answer.

This is especially disturbing if you are shooting a double rifle & barrel strain could be a problem? I was at an indoor range a few years back,they would not let me shoot Hornady DGX ammo through my 450-400,because of the steel jacket.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
60 years ago that would have been an excellent idea, today I wouldn't bother, those bullet have all the penetration in the world and work great on buffalo, although I have not used the new ones on elephant, I wouldn,t hesitate..Today bullet failure is all but over and done with, but any bullet can fail on very rare ocassion such as a bad batch of brass, lead, or insertion, mostly poor inspection, and even thats rare these days..moreso in brass cases than bullets themselves..Just my take on the subject inasmuch as anything made by man??? Ive never suffered bullet failure in the last 50 or 60 years. prior to that I had a number of bullet failures when testing new back then bullet, but never lost a head of game over any bullet..

With bullets today, its the year of the sales pitch, they are re-inventing the wheel, I have a million elephants as witnesses! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote