THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Looking for A J&L WILKINS 22/410 Double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for A J&L WILKINS 22/410 Double
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I really miss our old friend Chris Soyza, the purveyor of the J&L Wilkins series of Double rifles...as well as the restoration King of British Doubles of all makes, kinds, shapes and descriptions!!

He actually did 3 of the combination double sets in 22 LR and 410 shotgun cased sets.

I would certainly be interested in acquiring one of these sets as a keepsake to old friend Chris and his partner Dick in Ventura, Ca.

Please PM me if you know of one of these sets floating around. Actually, I would be tempted to look at other J&L Wilkins doubles that might be available too....but the 22LR/410 combo is my goal.

Thanks,

470EDDY

Posts: 2553 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE ONE AND WELL DOCUMENTED . NO INTEREST IN SELLING. THERE WAS A 6O0 MADE I THINK. SORRY FOR ALL CAPS.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
You are a very lucky guy!! One of 3 sets of 22LR/410!! Do you have any pictures you could post, email or text? I would love to see it!! I can PM my email or mobile number.
There were ONLY 22 rifles done in the J&L Wilkins run that Chris Soyza completed with his financial partner and gunsmith in California.
Yes, there was at least one 600NE, a box lock, it was recently advertised by Steve Barnett from a large collection of many full restorations of British doubles they did. There was a 700NE done as well.
Chris was a master engineer, with a great eye and knew the best in the British trade. He was also Chief Engineer and Production Manager at Westley Richard's for 8 years.
I really miss Chris, he left us too soon. He was doing incredible projects that we all would have enjoyed... at a right price too!!
Thank you for sharing your treasure!! Please don't forget me if you ever decide to sell!! Do you know the whereabouts of the other 22Lr Double/ 410 sets are?

CheerZ, Steve

470EDDY

Posts: 2553 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At my Chimney Hill ranch having Thanksgiving with family and hunting deer with my Chapius double 30/30
. More when I get home Mon
Happy Thanksgiving. Mims

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mims,
I am pretty sure I have met you... at SCI various times when you were selling the big rolling rifle cases??

We were working with Pierre vonTonder on a Selous at Dallas in January, I think we were booking right next to your date.... we backed off due to COVID. Did you make the hunt??

We are waiting for 21, maybe 22 if not to late to experience the Selous??

Have a great Thanksgiving with your family, and good hunting!! A 30-30 double... I am envious!! I have a Gibbs/Francotte 405 Win I have been trying to poke a Moose with!!

Cheers, Steve

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Yep, you got me. I booked the 2 buffalo's right before you and yep it is me and Tuffpak gun cases. I too delayed until 2021 .My problem is I discovered cancer s couple days after DSC and I had already paid Pierre in full. I am not sure I can physically do the long plane ride or make the hunt. I bought my tiny double within 10 seconds after seeing it on Champlain Arms table in Tulsa yrs. ago. GEO.had the 600 to if I recall. Bob Harvey from England came toSCI to see the convention and meet me. I have photos of us and the story about who did what and when. No mention of Chris or his Calif. Partner. No mention of other sets. I ask him about building me a Hornet and 28 ga. Maybe was the answer. He said no more 22 as they were "A,pig to make." I sold one of Tony's 22 to a wealthy Mexican client and friend. Then I stood by one show and watched Pete Petersen order 22 with .410 bbls. I have no intent in selling mine. It is beautiful as you would expect. I would love to learn what you know about any other Wilkins sets. I thought I had a 1 of a kind. No matter I have had fun shooting Rabbits and ground squirrels at the ranch. I have yet to take a bird. This weekend I took 4 bucks off my San Angelo ranch. I took 3 of them 10 mins with my 30/30 Chapius double rifle using red dot sight. I fell in love again. It has matching 22 Hornet bbls. I am ham fisting this reply on my cell. Hope you can decide. Cell in Bedford TX is 817 267 3700 Hunters Headquarters. Better tomorrow's, Mims

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mims,
I am really bummed about your health issues. I thought it was something simple and you were waiting for it to resolve...

I am waiting for an auction phone bid but will call you as soon as completed. I can tell you all about Chris and J&L Wilkins.... great friend for decades.

CheerZ, Steve

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Mims has one... I have found one sold by Rock Island and one by the old stand by in Maine... don't know if any are one in the same.... or all three that were built??

These are simply SPECTACULAR sets!!.... as were all of the J&L WILKINS guns... some 22 double rifles, and 26 great DG bolt guns...and a few shotguns!!

Neither Mims nor I know how to post pix here... or we would do it!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY