THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    English DR stamina and quality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English DR stamina and quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This article below illustrates how the English built double rifle performance is the best of the best in the long haul:

https://www.theexplora.com/pro...rainpipe/#more-18347

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story , what a great possession to have . You cant make up these stories .

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amazing man and amazing rifle.

I do not recall him in Brian Herne's book. I must check.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool story!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Superb! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty and I’m sure both have more stories then one could even imagine

Posts: 133 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Stunning!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law had a Watson Bros shotgun but when his doctor said using it was sending him deaf, he sold it and only used a pea-rifle after that.

Unfortunately, this was before my time so I could not have made him an offer for it.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Watson Bros made wonderful rifles. I just took a deposit on my Watson .500, Jack Lott's rifle. Sad to let it go but I have too much stuff, getting old, and no family or heirs.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot my Watson 450 BPE enough that it's needed a new hinge pin. It is in a similar condition to the OP rifle and I've had it for nearly 40 years so I know it's a good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rowe:
I've shot my Watson 450 BPE enough that it's needed a new hinge pin. It is in a similar condition to the OP rifle and I've had it for nearly 40 years so I know it's a good one.

Not Scottish? For shame.

I have been meaning to give you a call, for no particular reason, just to catch up.

Get that Manton up and belching smoke and fire yet?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Scottish? For shame.

I have been meaning to give you a call, for no particular reason, just to catch up.

Get that Manton up and belching smoke and fire yet?[/QUOTE]

My inner Philistine gets out every now and then, and I'll play with a bloody old London gun.....

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Amazing man and amazing rifle.

I do not recall him in Brian Herne's book. I must check.

Danny is not in White Hunters, although a picture of his father, Owen is in Herne’s Tanzania Safaris. I have a full-frame copy of the picture from Herne’s book (and another with clients and a big bull ele) I got from a defunct archive in India. Owen died young of colon cancer, I believe. He was reputed to be an incredible shot.

That Danny apprenticed under Glen Cottar is amazing. The Cottars are flat-out legends. Good stuff