THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Report: CSM RBL Proffessional Photos Added!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: CSM RBL Proffessional Photos Added!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got around to shooting and adjusting the regualtion of my RBL Proffesional this last week or so.

Got some photos done too, including a couple of the final four shot group - 50yds - when we were finished adjusting the regulation.

Rusty has volunteered to post my photos since I can't at the office and my home computer is having issues. Thanks Rusty!

Short version of the report is: this gun will shoot!

I only had time to shoot with the scope mounted, ran out of daylight, so I don't yet know if there will be any change when the scope is removed.

I bought a couple of different boxes of 2 3/4" 20ga sabot slugs two weeks ago and tried them out, just to get an idea of what kind of spreading or crossing I might be looking at with different ammo. Did some on line reading too, and there is a huge difference in the different 20 sabot loads.

Some of the rounds didn't cut target at 50yds, a couple only one of two shots at 25yds.

Anyway, after realizing that hunting a pecking to find the right load was going to take forever, and not wanting to get too involved in changing regulation, I called CSMC and asked 1. what ammo was the gun regulated with and 2. how does one change regulation?

Answers were: 1. regulated with Winchester DoubleX 5/8oz sabot load number XRS20. This is a realatively slow, heavy sabot compared to some of the new hot suff.

2. Directions for regulating the barrels are found at CSMC's website under downloadable catalogs and manuals.

I couldn't find any of the XRS20 loads, so chose the Remington 5/8oz Copper Solid load since it shoots the same weight bullet at roughly the same advertised velocity.

The Remington ammo crossed a couple of inches at 50yds and the right barrel shot a couple of inches higher that the left with this ammo as well.

DO NOT forget your supplied .035" allen wrench when you go to regulate or you will have difficulty loosening the locking screw for right barrel elevation adjustment! We made one that worked to loosen, but that is because I was at my gunsmith's (he has a standing bench!) and he has a complete machine shop. But even making one was time consuming.

Anyway, shoot four, make changes, shoot four... until we got it right. We used a metal schim to fill the gap in the elevation adjustment fitting, so we could crank the adjustment bolt tight, not being sure if the locking screw was tight. For this gun, a .014" schim proved perfect.

The final four shot group measures just a tick, maybe 1/16" narrower between centers of each respective right or left than the barrels measure center to center. The individual barrel groups are excellent and the composite group very, very good. Group size measures about an inch at 50yds. I think the one right barrel shot that was just a touch low was due to shooter error (that would be my error.)

{If Rusty posts a photo with the ruler under it it is obvious which way is up, if not, the POA was the bottom of the white semi circle, at 6:00.}

I have not had the time to have the butt hollowed out to move center of balance forward, but the gun is growing on me anyway, and I'm looking forward to using it in our shotgun only areas this coming deer season, which begin Saturday the 28th.

Will post results if I get to use it on a deer!

I am heading in the direction of recommending this gun to anyone interested, but want to give it a bit yet before doing so, to see some more of the gun and its capablities. Definitely have to shoot it without the scope too, to see if POI moves at all as well.

But again, for the $'s, seems to pretty darn nice.

The gun pictured in the photos that Rusty will post has wood upgraded to exhibition, the longer offered length of pull and obviously has the scope option too.

The sling doesn't come with the gun, it is a Dakota sling.

I will happily answer any questions posted or provide info I may have overlooked.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, recoil was very tolerable from a standing bench. Much more pleasant than expected. About 30-06 ish or so.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JPK,
My apologies for not getting these posted sooner.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report.Looked into one of these,glad to see it's working out so far.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I didn't know they were making such a thing. I really like my old Ugartechea 12 bore SxS slug gun. Having fixed barrels I only shoot the one load it was regulated with which I can no longer find...

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK

Looks and shoots good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 600 NE SUPER ULTRA LIGHT !!!

It looks fantastic and I'll bet you come

to really enjoy it very, very much!

These are RIFLED bbls right? What's

the twist rate?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that load it's running similar energy to my Purdey 2-1/2 dram rifle with .625" roundball

I need to get it out over the new chronograph.
The prescribed charge (2-1/2 drams) of Swiss 1-1/2F puts the roundball right over the sights.
I'm guessing I'm in the 1150-1200fps neighborhood with that 7/8oz ball.

That little rifle of yours should be a deer killing machine!

Have fun with it.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, the photo of the group should be viewed as if rotated 1/4 turn clockwise, so the ruler is parrallel to the ground. The POA for the group was six o'clock on the bottom 1/2 round white portion of the target. This group is likely crossing by just a hair, since the center to center measurement of the bores is slightly more than the center to center measurement of the group, but that level of detail may be lost in my shooting.

Jack,

Yes the barrels are rifled. Relatively fast twist for sabot loads, don't recall offhand.

This particular load shoots 5/8ox copper bullets - haven't miked the diameter of the bullets - at ~1600fps.

Someday I will reregulate for the Winchester
260gr Partition load, or the Remington 260gr Coreloct load, both of which run 1900fps and provide a much flatter trajectory past about 85yds. These two load's show trjectories which would provide "point blank" range to 125yds, with no need to adjust your hold on the deer or pig.

Went rifle hunting for Sika deer at one of my clubs in Dorchester County, MD. Never hunted at my club in Talbot County, MD, which is adjacent to Dorchester but is shotgun only and whitetails only. My son had sika on the brain. Hunted Saturday, Sunday and Monday am and saw just one sika, a nice stag at first 221yds and then at 186yds as ranged later. But he was up and down in the marsh and not up on a rise long enough to give us an opportunity.

I might sneak out for a whitetail hunt this week. My Talbot County whitetail place is 45mins closer to home and easier to get to after work.

JPK

Free 500grains