Find
Notify
Tools

HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted
I just shot a warthog with my double .470, and a nickel case broke off in the chamber. Any ideas on how to remove? I already tried sticking my pinky finger to try to remove without luck.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a snug fitting copper bronze cleaning brush, run it into the chamber so the front of the brush is barely past the front of the case, then pull it back out. The case should pull out easily

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've used a tap where the threads cut into the case for grip and then remove. The threads are hard so don't cut into the chamber, just the soft brass case.
Cal
PS. Excellent example of why the old timers used doubles. With one barrel out of commission, you have a single shot to get you home.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
We don't have a ramrod or any of the tools you mentioned. Looks like I'm down to a single shot for the eland tomorrow. I'm just glad it didn't happen on the elephant. Thanks for the help.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I've used a tap where the threads cut into the case for grip and then remove. The threads are hard so don't cut into the chamber, just the soft brass case.
Cal
PS. Excellent example of why the old timers used doubles. With one barrel out of commission, you have a single shot to get you home.

...................Absolutely! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never use a tap that's a good way to ruin a chamber. A brass bore brass is best but if you are in bush and don't have tools try sticking another fired case into the one that's stuck twisting as you go this should spin the broken one out. If that doesn't try carving a wood stick to fit tightly into broken case again twisting as you go.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Srose
I tried twisting a loaded round without success, then read your post about a fired case and it worked perfectly. Thanks for helping
Sam

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello samir,

I have removed similar stuck broken cases in the field (without tools) from a double rifle - by doing this:

1. take a fired empty case, heat the front half using the flame of a lighter or candle until it is red hot - do this over a bowl of cold water, and when you can no longer hang onto the hot case with your fingers - drop it into the water. This will soften the empty case.

2. then, while the case is still wet, coat it with the fine ashes from a wood fire and force it into the broken case that is stuck in the chamber. Force in into the broken case "very hard" - maybe lightly tap it in with a piece of wood.

3. then pull it out with a twisting motion - it should bring the broken case with it.

repeat several times if necessary.

The ashes act as a gripping agent to grab the broken case and are not abrasive to the barrel steel.

If you are careful, you can also use "very fine" dry red clay from a road, but the clay "is abrasive" and you must be careful to remove all traces when finished.

hope this helps

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
very impressive,you guys just helped one of us in the field,solved his problem,I applaud you clap AR is a great place,cheers.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Looking at the time stamp of samir's post - he solved his problem 1 minute before I answered. Smiler

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Sam. Great to see you here!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news you got it out. Happy hunting.

Great info!

Have used the brush method to remove a head separation from friends rifle. But never thought of a fired case!

Great to see you back too Sam.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well certainly some inventive and good to know tips here! Thanks, guys.

Samir, should we be looking forward to a hunt report on your return??

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
When you exhaust everything you know on a subject there will always be someone some where who can teach you something new!

.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The best way (in the shop) is to melt some cerrosafe in the chamber and push the whole thing out with the rod. Cerrosafe melts in hot water, but is solid metal.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Couldn't get close enough to use the double on the eland, but ended the hunt by shooting another warthog with it. Thanks again for all your quick responses with my problem. I'm sure all these handy tricks will help myself or someone else in the future.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE