Find
Notify
Tools

My SPR22 at the range
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Tried a few combinations of loads out of the new SPR22 .45-70 today. Owing to others' reports, I limited my range to 25 yards just to be sure I caught bullets on paper. I fired a pair of Sharps loads -- 63 grains Goex under the Lyman 457125 520-grain government RN, and only the left barrel caught paper at the lower left of the target. I followed these up with two pairs of cast loads in WW brass, CCI 200 primer, Lee 340-grain bullet, grouping in 3 inches, with the left 1 1/8. Avg speed was 1364 fps, according to the Oehler 35.

Stepping up to the 405-grain Remington jacketed softpoint with WW case, CCI 200 primer and 30.0 grains SR4759, I had hoped to duplicate the Remington factory load at about 1350 fps, but these were faster, averaging 1584 fps. Two shots 7/8 inch apart from the left barrel, one of them a 10X, but right barrel about 3 inches left of dead center. Recoil was snappy.

Then I tried the same bullet but with 50 grains of IMR 3031 for 1715 fps. Recoil bordered on severe from the gun, which is right under 7 pounds and very light at the muzzles; a recoil calculator shows about 37 foot-pounds @ 18.5 feet per second recoil velocity. I had two shots touching from the left barrel and two shots 2 1/14 inches apart and 6 inches left of bull from the right.

As this was the first outing, I didn't expect much, but have a sense that the gun will respond to load tweaking. I have not touched the barrel regulating jack screw yet, so that is a long chapter still to come. Triggers are fair -- not gritty, but far from crisp. Sights are awful for my bifocal eyes, and I may try the NECG Ruger rear sight. An ivory bead front is also on the menu.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bad shooting. Big Grin

Bill, baised on your targets [and not adjusting the jackscrew] I would try the 400gr bullets at 1450 and 1500fps.

Or, I would find a load with the 400gr bullets that shoots good individual barrel groups WITH the level of recoil you like, and adjust the barrel jack screw to center them up.

At 25 yards I would want the shots from the right barrel to hit to the right of the shots from the left barrel.

Idealy your shots should not cross [ever actually] but surely not out to 100-150 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Your targets look similar to mine, only the right barrel is shooting much further left. My left barrel is also showing good accuracy.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote