THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Questions re: Merkel 9.3x74R models and options...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions re: Merkel 9.3x74R models and options...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the differences between the 140 and the 141?

Can these be ordered with conventional iron sights instead of the fibre-optic ones?

Do they all have the hogs back stock, or can you choose the - sorry, not sure of the terminology - "straight" stock?

I've seen some with a single trigger. Can you request double triggers?

Cheers,

Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mate, is the Missus getting keen for one now??? Wink
Anyway, if your looking, you should consider one of the old model one that come up second hand tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
What are the differences between the 140 and the 141?

Can these be ordered with conventional iron sights instead of the fibre-optic ones?

Do they all have the hogs back stock, or can you choose the - sorry, not sure of the terminology - "straight" stock?

I've seen some with a single trigger. Can you request double triggers?

Cheers,

Ben

Ben as far as I know the 140-1 is no longer made, but they are fine hunting double rifles, and the largest chambering for that model is 9.3X74R.

The differences are considerable. The 140-1 has extractors & the 140E-1 has selective ejectors. Both 140s are made on a larger action (about the size of the 20 gauge shotgun) and the 141 is made on an action that is the size of a 28 gauge action.

The 140s have Shoe-lump barrels that are just shy of 24 inches, while the 141 has Mono-block barrels that are just shy of 22 inch.

The 140 barrels are permanently regulated while the 141 rifles have adjustable regulation. I prefer the permanently regulated barrels.

Both are available with single triggers if that is what you want but I do not recommend that. The 140 has a set trigger on the right barrel, and I assume that is the case with the 141 as well.

The safety on the 140-1 is an auto set type, and should be made manual by disengaging the auto feature!

The 140-1 and the 140E-1 came with traditional iron sights but are not wide V, cut more like a pistol sight with a square notch but can be easily modified.

My personal choice between the two rifles is the 140E-1. I have one of the 140E-1 9.3x74R rifles, and it has become my favorite double.

Very good used ones are available from time to time, and are worth consideration IMO.
................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mac. That was most educational, and I appreciate it.

Adam, the missus is more keen on that bolt-action Rigby. She's pretty intent on busting a pig with that, we've just got to find one! They're few and far between. Just looking / researching / tyre-kicking for my little bloke when he's a bit older (he's only three now).

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the time I was looking at buying my double, I didn't know what questions to ask. Merkel isn't very good at advertising their options, which I later found, are available. The thing is, to ask for them, they will probably do it. One of the reasons I went with the K-gun was they showed a few of the options in their literature, which I wanted, and asked about, and got. Merkel will do it, they just don't advertise it, the way others do. They really do have an options list which I have seen since then. They ended up getting passed on by me, as they didn't advertise it, nor do a bunch of their dealers.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't remember the specifics but the 141 is significantly lighter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:
Don't remember the specifics but the 141 is significantly lighter.

IMO, too light for anything larger than 30-06, and very light for the 9.3X74R!

The 140E-1 weighs just over 8 pounds chambered for the 9.3X74R, and still needs a recoil pad! Mine got a decelarator after the first box of ammo. I shot the 141 and it certainly needs some more weight.
.................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 140 is their regular double rifle model, with many iterations. The newer 141 is built on their 28gr shotgun frame, as I understand. It feels too small, short and light....too toy-like for me. I'd rather find a 140 in 9.3x74R on the used gun market than buy a 141. To me, the only thing it's missing is 2 corks in the barrels with strings on them :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Merkel in 8x57r several years ago and had a terrific discussion on this forum about it. I don't remember but the concensus of opinion on here was I couldn't have what I had because it was fixed regulation but the rifle was marked with the model as was the box. I ended up calling the Merkel distributor and found the rifles were left over/surplus guns built for the European market and not intended for the American market. It was probably the most accurate double I have ever shot. I mounted a Leupold 1.5-5 in MAK swing off mounts. Super mounts from Belguim. They were tremendous to deal with,even got an English speaking gunsmith on the phone for me to talk to about fitting when they learned I was a gunsmith. He even included a collet insert in case I had to machine the rear spacer which was nice of him. It fit perfectly and I had to do no machining.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote