THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    extreme cold weather hunting with double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

extreme cold weather hunting with double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Planning musk ox hunt in Northwest Territories for mid April 2011. Extreme temperatures down to -40F could be encountered, with -10F to -20F probably more common that time of year. Considering taking a Chapuis 9.3x74R. Anyone have any experience hunting with doubles as such extreme low temperatures? Any words of advice on prepartion of the double for such temperatures?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally hunted in extreme cold like you are speaking of. I have used my double here in CO when the weather was in the -temps with no ill affect whatsoever. The only thing that I noticed was that when the temps get down around 0 deg and below that my regulation loads start to widen a bit. Nothing drastic but they do start to spread an inch or two at 50 yards. This I am sure is due to increased air density which of course will slow the velocity of your bullets.

The rifle functions fine.

I saw an article in the SCI magazine about a guy hunting walrus with his .470 double. I don't remember the make but arctic hunting with a double has been done successfully.

AT the extreme temps you are speaking of I'd definitley degrease your gun a re-lubricate with a graphite lubricant. Grease will turn solid at those temps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike gave you good advice, degrease for sure and go for a dry lube, ......Wax the exterior metal against condensation, and be prepared for your impact point to change a bit with the lower velocity, ......that's all I've ever encountered in maybe 30 hunts at -40!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 55 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are going to need some one to take the rifle apart and total remove any grease or oil, go with a dry lube only. You may consider a good wax on internal parts. Put a little on and let it dry, then polish it to remove any build up, dust with graphite or moly dust. Give special attention to fireing pin bushing and spring struts, and pins and pin holes don't forget the forarm and its cocking and ejecting parts. Once on the hunt you will have to make sure the rifle does not sweat , don't take it in and out of a heated area.

I would not leave it in this conditon very long, grease will protect the caming ares from wear , I am not sure a dry lube will, and if where you live is humid then you could have some rusting in area you can't see. Prepare it just before the hunt ,them grease up and oil the internals after the hunt. You might also consider one of the high tec coatings, if they would do a double, I would do the hard chrome to the internals and recier the do a bake on weather proof finish over the top of that to the outside to give it some color.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like DR's too, but in Africa ! In artic country's , imo , is the using of a DR not a very good idea ! The hunting condition are very hard, the risk of a damage of your rifle, on the dog sledge and if you are sleeping in a tent by very low temperature, is very high ! I have a experience from muskoxs and seals hunting trips in Grönland in the wintertime ! Better a strong bolt action rifle with a laminated or a fiber stock ! Dont forget the salt water if you move on the pack ice !

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who commented. I may just leave the doubles for better weather and take one of my bolt action trash collection on this extreme adventure.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
You are going to need some one to take the rifle apart and total remove any grease or oil, go with a dry lube only.

+1 That's exactly what I heard.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
bewildered Eish guys - I don't know about -40, however I have hunted quite some in -10 to -20F and never experienced any problems - couple of pics:

No preparation whatsoever - perhaps in extreme cold I'd make a couple of dry firings with snap caps prior the hunt and that should do...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 8gauge
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about the gun i would worry about your ammo. you can see a definite drop in psi and velocity. The industry sometimes takes and puts ammo in a controlled freezer and then retests psi and velocity. dense air more friction, cold temps less psi and less velocity.
in shot gun loads some powder have problems in cold temps. hope that helps we have an industry psi gun. that’s how we confirm shotgun loads

Posts: 30 | Location: WI | Registered: 11 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with my doubles in pretty cold weather, in Canada, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho with no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 8gauge
posted Hide Post
that is why they made tropical loads. 120 degrees and the load would be to strong. they droped them 10 full grains cordite. same thing when it gets too cold just oposite.

Posts: 30 | Location: WI | Registered: 11 February 2010Reply With Quote