THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    RL 15 starting load for a Hornady regulated Heym 500 Nitro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 15 starting load for a Hornady regulated Heym 500 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
My 89B 500 will arrive tomorrow. I'm looking for a starting load that brings me in the ballpark of the Hornady ammo it was regulated with. Thanks to VC I have plenty of 570/530/510 gr projectiles and powders.

My VC was regulated with the slower Norma ammunition and I just couldn't get the Barnes or CEBs to shoot at all in that rifle (it would only shoot Woodleighs on top of 92 gr of RL 15). And I hadn't even begun to play with softs.....

After that fiasco, I just want a starting point to save time, preferably with 570 gr bullets- going to the Save in April. Thanks.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
RL15 can vary materially between lots. In my experience a load of between 96-99 grains with Federal 215M primers and 570 grain bullets regulates well (in multiple rifles including Heym, Merkel, Boswell and Kreighoff). That load would also include a Kynoch foam wad between the powder and bullet. As always, start low and work up.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I was around the 94-96 mark with mine. Used about a 1" piece of 1/2" backer rod. Ran around 2170.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Couldn’t even get that close in my VC. FWIW 104.40 gr of what looks like H4350 is in the Hornady
Ammo but Quickload only says 1967 fps. Oh well I have a starting point. Thanks again.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
FYI- in my rifle 95 gr RL 15 with 570 gr Barnes solids 2143/2148 fps replicates the Hornady 570 gr solid load of 2139/2142 fps.

Again, many thanks. This was one of my shortest range session ever as my first two shots of my hand loads nearly touched at 25y (open sights) as did my next two with the factory ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
FYI- in my rifle 95 gr RL 15 with 570 gr Barnes solids 2143/2148 fps replicates the Hornady 570 gr solid load of 2139/2142 fps.

Again, many thanks. This was one of my shortest range session ever as my first two shots of my hand loads nearly touched at 25y (open sights) as did my next two with the factory ammo.

That’s encouraging to hear. My buddy’s 89b came in this week and we’re going to try it out in the morning. Mine should be here in about 4 weeks. Have to get both regulated for hunt in the Savé in May. Hope it’s as easy as yours!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots the woodleihs then your good to go, thats as good a bullet as you can use..Ive used them for years in Africa..IMO find one good load with a double and stick with it use a grain more or less for the soft usually works as your gun is shooting solids..Its not a bolt gun that can be played with successfully IMO, some folks want to make it something its not nor was intended to be...Just my two bits, on can do as one wishes for sure..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote