THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best place to look for used double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to look for used double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the market...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are others, but Champlin Firearms is one good place to begin.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Gunsinternational is a great starting point

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK thanks I'll give it a start. Cabelas hit or miss but you can handle them at least..

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll admit to being biased, but at Champlin Arms you will also receive quite an education for the craft.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the gun vault. Thanks for the tip!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Gunsinternational is a great starting point

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searcy Website

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Guns International is the best place to see 100+ doubles for sale at any given time. Of course the prices are asking and not sold for prices.

Dealers are find but the prices will be much higher than you can find in private sales.

Places like CT Shotgun have the clients to be able to charge 2-3x what the guns are worth.

Gun shows and conventions are good for variety but at the high end conventions the dealers often mark up the prices as the patrons will spend--many times without asking.

Also auction catalogs such as RIA and Julia will give you probably the best asking and selling prices.

A combination of the above give you a good idea as to price averages.

Now, what type and age of double are you lookign for? Once known, that will narrow down the list.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Chris at Heym USA will have some used doubles of different makes at times.

Heym, Searcy and Champlin will give the guns a thorough inspection. I’m not sure you will get that with Cabela’s or gunshows.

Heck, I bought my only one here and have been pleased. It is a modern Chapuis, however.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple in stock and know of a few more in collections I am helping distribute. Let me know what you are looking for, I may be able to help.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my gun safe Big Grin Until I add more...hopefully.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right here on AR Classifieds; there is usually one close. What are you looking for? DG, 9.3, small bore? High end English? German, French? Definitely consider Searcy, American; best regulated ones for sure. And that new guy, Little, knows how to make them. Please don't say over and under. Those aren't real double rifles.
Heck, I even have a couple of Russians that outshoot most others. And the new Chapuis 9.3 I got with adjustable barrels shoots into one inch, easily.
Got that one from Ken Buch.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Chris Sells at Heym USA. Also Chris's friend Doc, Clan_Cola here on AR.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for?

If it's a vintage double I would speak with George at Champlins. I have dealt with him for years and would trust his opinion. I also find his prices on vintage rifles to be in line. Some other dealers.... not so much.

If it's a modern rifle you are looking for I would decide my price point and go from there.

Good luck!

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
I'll admit to being biased, but at Champlin Arms you will also receive quite an education for the craft.

As well as being left alone in the vault room to fondle and drool till your hearts content.

Bring a wiping bib ;]

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
+1 for Chris Sells at Heym USA. Also Chris's friend Doc, Clan_Cola here on AR.

Thank you.

Though we are down to about 3 or 4 at the shop right now-(Jackson Armory)

Merkel 470, Watson 500BPE, Heym 88B 450-400, maybe a Sabbatti 45-70 and perhaps a Pedersoli 45-70 Hammer DR

Chris (Heym USA)has only a few used guns at his office as well.

JJ Perodeau , Sand Springs OK

George (Champlin's, Enid)) has a vastly greater selection of used ones.

Other Places:
as mentioned-- Guns International

Griffin & Howe
Hallowell
Puglisi
Wm Larkin Moore
Gulf Breeze / Westley Richards
Kebco
Lewis Drake
Schwandt
Cabelas
Bass Pro
Osprey
Steve Barnett

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
On www.gunbroker.com I typed into the search box double rifle and a good
number of rifles came up, including this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740209189

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the owner of that rifle. I think he was selling it for $10,995 or something close to that.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best place to shop is Bieb's closet, particularly when he gets out of it.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best place to shop is Bieb's closet, particularly when he gets out of it.

Out of the closet? How Hollywood! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is the barrel length of that Osborne? Worth checking its history.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Twenty-eight Inch Barrels on the below-
GunBroker.com Item: 741614911

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got this from the owner:

Hey Biebs! I have the reserve at $8494.00. Anyone interested should phone me, as my number is right in the listing. Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK thanks for all the info. As I am a shooter more than a collector looking at modern guns and in DG calibers only. SxS barrels only. A shooter not a safe queen. Maybe someday I could go for a classic british double but looking at a solid 470 and up DG rifle

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK the Osbourne is cool and affordable. Prefer ejectors but heck that thing looks like it has history....

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure, and a British DR for $8,500?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will find some serious firearms, including double rifles at Morris Hallowell's shop online.
Check www.hallowellco.com

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
You will find some serious firearms, including double rifles at Morris Hallowell's shop online.

Regards

Their Hollis, Bentley & Playfair 500NE is quite a rifle. I really like that one...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Regards

warning! he provides untrue information on his rifles

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:

Regards

Their Hollis, Bentley & Playfair 500NE is quite a rifle. I really like that one...

I really like it to, but at the $10,000 mark it sold for at rock island last year.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

I really like it to, but at the $10,000 mark it sold for at rock island last year.

$23K you mean
https://www.rockislandauction....express-double-rifle

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
warning! he provides untrue information on his rifles[/QUOTE]

Seems true in this case as well; the auction description clearly states that the rifle has been restored. The Hallowell description is so vague as to be disingenuous on that point.
Plus it surely looks to have barrel engraving recut and has been tightened/rejointed ..... note that the dollshead has the telltale gap at the front. No telling how much it could be shot til it got loose once again. Curiously, no mention of bore condition.
Still, a nice looking job of stock refinish, re case color, and reblack on barrels.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just missed a merkel 140AE 470 at Cabelas &7600 and looking at a searcy 470 for a bit more. Fun

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Curious if the OP ever scored?

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you know doubles, the internet and especially AR is a good place to shop..If you do not understand the market and the guns, then for heavens sake get help, and pick that help with care..Lot of junk out there for big money..Locally where you can try a gun out is really good, A five day inspection with shooting rights is a very good thing. The world of double gun is "anuther ball game" altogether. Ive seen junkers on tables at SCI, big gun shows, in well known stores,and salesmen that don't know crap about the double gun room. I have seen well known double rifle sellers push some bad guns, check out the rep of the dealer is a good thing, there are some very honest and good dealers out there, your job is to find them..Many of us made our bones on doubles and took a few lickens along the way....FWIW.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Handled a cool little Belgian 9.3 double st cabelas yesterday. Nice lines and seemed very well built. Fully engraved and looked like it had a lot of life left in it. Whole thing was tight. Bushings were slightly buggered and one was missing a screw, but neat. Short LOP though...felt cramped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the new Searcy field grade, brand new and made to fit. Pretty hard to beat for 10k.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote