Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted
Just returned from Reno and met with Butch and his crew Dirk and Glen, who were present. They were most gracious and answered all my questions without hestiation. I got to handle a Deluxe model like I currently have on order and also the new Classic. A special thanks should go to Glen, who does all of Butch's stock work. Glen is in So. Dakota where Butch is opening another shop. Glen took the time to walk me across the center to show me various pieces of wood from one of his suppliers and explain the characteristics of which I knew little of. After meeting Butch I am glad I made the choice of a Searcy and looking forward to having my own double.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KINO,
Glad to hear of your experience. What caliber is your rifle?

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes KINO, tell us everything!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
There will always be debate over his rifles and if they are better or worse than others, but one thing for sure, you will not find a finer person to order a rifle from. Butch is simply a great guy.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will always be debate over his rifles and if they are better or worse than others, but one thing for sure, you will not find a finer person to order a rifle from. Butch is simply a great guy.

Amen to that!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 470. After looking at the classic I was tempted to change, however I stayed with the deluxe. I like the two tone of stainless and blued barrels. The classic doesn't have the articulated trigger and intercepting sears. Butch told me that after the show the classic will go to about 15K. So if you want one order now.
Americase is now making fitted aluminum cases for Butch and it will have an embroidered label on the inside lid. About $550 each. They look well made and I'll add one to my order.
577 NE's gun is comming along nicely and the wood is best seen in person very nice. thumb

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was also in Reno and after checking out Butch's new "classic" model I changed my order from the PH model to the Classic (staying with a 470NE).

577NitroExpress:
I saw your rifle there too - pictures don't do it justice. It has some really pretty wood in it.

Butch and his crew are all great and make you feel like you have known them for a long time. Butch said he has had 3 guy's change their orders from the PH model to the classic and I think he said he had 8 rifles ordered at the show. Delivery times are now running about 1 year. I'm glad I placed my order in September.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
What is the major difference between the Classic and the PH. I know the classic is a bit smaller and is case colored, but is there something else. They seem much more expensive than a PH model so there must be something more to it?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Rosco, the classic action is made from carbon steel, where the ph is stainless. The Classic has a wood upgrade and the bolster are eliminated. The finish is better and more time likely put into the appearance. The classic felt lighter to me as well.

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
The biggest recommendation I heard from Butch's booth was get the articulated front trigger... 577s gun was stunning... I have double envy ...

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We just ordered the new model with two barrels. Can and articulated trigger be used in that model?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I'm sure an articulated trigger can be had for the additional cost. I would call or e-mail Butch. He told me he is on his way to Dallas after SCI so an e-mail may be the best way to reach him until the shows are over.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
There will always be debate over his rifles and if they are better or worse than others,

That can be said of any rifle ever made

quote:
but one thing for sure, you will not find a finer person to order a rifle from. Butch is simply a great guy.

The above certainly cannot be said of most rifle makers, especially, double rifle makers! Some are a little above you and I, in their opinion, of their own value! Not Butch, he is right down here on Earth with the rest of us!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
In the last 30 some odd years, I've been to alot of gun shows, and talked to alot of reps from various gun mfg's, and I must say, that my experience with Butch Searcy, and ordering my .577 N.E. from him is without a doubt, the most comfortable experience that I have ever had! Butch is truly 100% real, No Bullshit! If I thought anything less, I would have bought somewhere else!

Doc52

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote