Find
Notify
Tools

Bog-Pod
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Pig Farmer
posted
I purchased a Bog-Pod Red Legged Devil Tripod (RLD3) a couple of years ago and really liked it. Last year I purchased a Bog-Pod Camo Legged Devil Tripod (CLD3) thinking some of the advertised improvements were indeed improvements. Some were and some weren't.

After taking each on a fairly rigorous, seven day Coues deer hunt in the high mountains of Sonora, Mexico (the RLD3 in 2008 and the CLD3 in 2009), I offer some observations.

The Universal Shooting Rest on the CLD3 is much preferable to the original V-Rest on the RLD3.

Although I'm still not completely sold on the "All-Terrain" Foot System on the CLD3, it is much better than the after-thought for a system on the original RLD3 (which of course, wore out the rubber tips on just one trip).

The camo on the CLD3 obviously adds cost and is just plain silly. The original idea of black with red handles is perfect for something that you regularly set up and walk away from.

I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that the CLD3 is both heavier and noisier than the RLD3. Next week, I am taking both on a short southern Arizona hunt for javelina and I will check them side by side.

The feature that I thought would be the best improvement in the CLD3 turned out to be its worst feature. The Rapid Adjust Lever Locks were just an absolute pain. Bulky and noisy, but worst of all, always out of tightening adjustment. One (or more) of the legs always wanted to slip at just the wrong time. It was imperative to have the allen wrenches (at least the one for the Lever Locks) with you at all times. I'm not even really sure that the Lever Locks are quicker in use that the original system in the RLD3.

So, I am going to remove the Universal Shooting Rest from the CLD3 and put it on the RLD3. I am going to try to remove the All-Terrain Foot System from the CLD3 and put them on the RLD3.

The CLD3 with then be retired to a room full of other stuff I've tried, but that didn't quite work out. The RLD3 will be going to Zimbabwe with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken

Posts: 25 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your review, I think they still make a RLD version, updated, that is what I had planned to order, and sounds like the right choice based on your post.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pig Farmer
posted Hide Post
The update.

The CLD3 appears to be slightly heavier (2.3 pounds) than the RLD3 (2.2 pounds).

The worst feature of the CLD3: it is definitely significantly noisier than the RLD3. It appears they used a different metal for the leg tubing and the CLD3 is constantly clanging with a very sharp ring.

Last minor item. The original RLD3 came with a nice and substantial Cordura carrying bag. The new CLD3 comes in a thin (and easily torn; at least if you are on horseback) nylon carrying bag.

Hopefully Bog-Gear will make the RLD3 with the Universal Shooting Rest (which is, by the way, completely interchangeable) and the All-Terrain Foot System.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken

Posts: 25 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Is the BogPod an upgrade from my Steady-Stix Shooting Sticks? I've been looking at both the bipod and tripod versions of the Bog Pod

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had both. THey are fine but I have switched to the TriggerStik - more adjustable and easier to use.

Posts: 10080 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Do any of you guys have any issues with them being too short? I'm 6'2" with a long neck so I need a tripod that adjust up to close to 64-66" on level ground. Most of the ones listed have legs that are 68" but spread out such the rest is only 61-62" off the ground.

I like the the 7' sticks that the trackers carry in Africa with a bit of inner tube wrapped around the top but they are a pain to carry anywhere.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wondered if they can be bought separately, or do they only come in a package with the plastic tree bark shield, the .375 Ruger, and Hornady ammo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a big beliver in using natures rests, a boulder, a sotol or a handy tree limb, all availablel in Coues deer country, and I like to shoot off hand and practice a good deal with that..The Coes is my favorite 4 legged animal to hunt..They were fairly abundant on the ranch I was raised on and on the ranch I had leased for a few years in the Texas Big Bend country..My paying hunters were allowed one on their Mule deer hunts but never killed a single one of the little buggers. I shot one every year and some real nice ones at that, so did my boys..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ray: Hunting Coues gets in your blood! I've killed three of them now, and love to hunt them in Old Mexico! Wiley little critters and long shots for the most part. Big Grin And, all of them shot off shooting sticks, at distances of 120 yards, 320 yards and 510 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've got and used nearly every shooting stick available. And, the shooting sticks that I now use most of the time are the Gen. 3 Bipod Tall Trigger Sticks. Big Grin As examples, I've shot Coues deer off of them at 510 yards, and I shot my Vaal Rhebok while standing up off of them at 430 yards. They are steady and quick.