New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm Clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Didn't know where to ask this question. I was looking at Wally world and found some Remington 6 in 1 Parkas and Bibs on sale. I liked them but the insulation is 6 oz of polyester. Is this stuff warm enough to sit in on a cold deer stand in Dec. ? I found something comparable in Cabalas fall catalog on pg. 44

Which would be the best for the money ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I've frozen my butt on many Missouri deer stands and always assumed I just needed a heavier coat or suit. Then I cooked walking to my stand and soon after was freezing again. When I moved to Alaska I bought the heaviest coat and pants I could find and found out I was the only fool wearing them. I have learned anything in the past couple of decades in the frozen north it is to layer, layer, layer. Alaskans spend their money on the best set of long johns they can. It's sort of like building a house. the best roof isn't worth a darn if the foundation and wall are crap. Patagonia underwear is very popular (but expensive) but so are military surplus. They keep you dry underneath. They don't have to be the heaviest. Then layer with more poly or wool and if you will be sitting add a wind proof outer. For most situations the outer layer is the least important. Carharts are an Alaskan favorite. The ones you are looking at should be great over a synthetic base.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358, After coming out of a stand shaking so hard I couldn't see straight I've spent 2 small fortunes trying to find the best possible combination of warm clothing. I've tried 5 or 6 different military surplus parka's, Browning Hydro-Fleece, Filson Wool, Shelter Cloth and Tin Cloth, Barbour's Ventil, Loden and Leather, Rascher Loden wool etc. etc. etc.. After several thousands of dollars investment the point that I've come to is the 458Win is exactly right. Your outerwear is much less important than your underlayers.
The best underlayers I've tried so far is the Cabela's Polartec Power-Dry. It wicks sweat away like a sponge. Situations where I used to wear very heavy outerwear I often find myself wearing just the Power-Dry's and a good wool shirt and pants. If I were starting a Hunting Clothing collection from scratch these are the first thing I would buy.

Here is a link to Cableas website and the Power-Dry stuff.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0016690&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat600511&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&link=&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml&returnQueryString=id%3D0016690902268a%26type%3Dproduct%26cmCat%3Dsearch%26returnString%3DhasJS%3Dtrue%26_D%253AhasJS%3D%2B%26QueryText%3DPolartec%2Bpower-dry%26_DARGS%3D%252Fcabelas%252Fen%252Fcommon%252Fsearch%252Fsearch-box.jhtml.22%26Go.x%3D26%26Go.y%3D9%26N%3D4887%26Ntk%3DProducts%26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchall%26Nty%3D1%26Ntt%3DPolartec%2Bpower-dry%26noImage%3D0%26returnPage%3Dsearch-results1.jhtml&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search

Long link for long johns eh....

If you are on a budget the best thing to buy after the Power-Dry's would be Military Surplus outerwear. I say a Czech parka at Cheaper-Than-Dirt for $19.95. The Warmest Military Coat I've seen are the Swedish parka's with the button-in Pile liner. A close second is the Norwegian with the button in wool liner (these are getting harder to find). I really like the Swedish Melton wool pants with the ankle straps. They are inexpensive but tough,warm and wear forever. I kinda like the ankle straps because they keep the wind from blowing up your pant legs and will even keep a little snow out of the top of your boots.

The last outer layer is something that you may want to go commercial with again and that's a rain shell. While you are saving for some good Gore-Tex you might get by OK for a while with a Military Poncho. I think you probably want to err on the side of Lightweight unless you hunt in Alaska or other place where it rains a lot. 90% of the time my raingear rides in my backpack.

I've always loved wool because it's very warm and the quietest hunting clothing you can buy but I'm becoming more and more fond of fleece. Fleece is much lighter than wool and dries much faster also. Fleece also can be machine washed and usually is a lot cheaper.

The best time of year to buy of course is after Christmas. I strongly recommend Cabela's for mail order due to their superb service. I also think their MT-050 Gore-Tex wear is the best around, I find it better made than my Browning stuff and fits better. Check out their Bargain Cave and maybe you can find something cheap but good.

So to summarize my long post to start a good warm but inexpensive set of hunting gear:

1. Buy Cabela's Polartec Power-Dry top and bottoms apx $80
2. Buy Swedish Melton wool pants. apx $30
3. Buy Surplus Parka with Pile liner apx. $40
4. Buy Camo shirts, Camo Fleece and Gore-Tex outerwear as funds allow......

Boot?..............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote