New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Warm Clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
458Win should know what he is talking about as he is from Alaska. But, I am from PA and we do get cold hunting seasons here also. I did the old 100 layer deel back when I could not pay for good hunting clothes and was always too cold or to hot and sweety. I do agree with the importance of good long underware. I got a Browning 4 in 1 parka and bibs for a Colorado Rocky mts hunting trip and have not looked back. Its the BEST $500 I spent on the whole trip. It is VERY light and can be adjusted for the weather in a snap by taking out the liner and packed away in a back pack with no problem. We hunted in 65 degree weather to 15 degrees in almost one day. I think poly will hold too much mosture and cause you to be cold after a hike. Thinsalate (sp) will wick away sweet and keep you at a more stable temp. threw out your hunt. A good pair of boots is also a great investment. Frankly, cold feet suck! 600gram thinsalate did me great. In my opinion, after hunting all those years with crappy hunting clothes, spending the money you will not regret. Happy hunting P.S. PA rifle season starts on NOV 29th. I will not be cold.

Posts: 27 | Location: WESTMORELAND COUNTY PA | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Well, I can't match Alaska but up here in the Scottish Highlands we do get the odd cold spell, This past weekend we were out before daylight and back home after dark, the temperature was around the freezing mark all day, with high winds and driving rain and a couple of inches of snow underfoot for good measure. This was the first opportunity I had to try out a set of Browning bib and brace, it's full title is Hydro fleece insulated bib, it has full length leg zippers and a full length front zipper. I never wore them as over trousers just on their own and I stayed completely dry and warm all day long. I had a Deehunter Jacket and Le Chameau Mouflon boots. Considering we were out in knee to hip high heather all day I was really impressed, I will add a set of thermal long drawers for when it gets really cold.

John

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the great information. My wife ordered the Cabala's stuff today. I'm just 5 weeks out of the hospitafrom prostrate cancer surgery,
she worries about me.
Any onfo on caps, gloves and boots would also help. My stuff is getting well woren and out of date, and since I retired the budget is tight. So your advise is much appreciated.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the replys: My wife ordered the Cabala's Polar tec powder dry this morning. I also got a fleece jacket and pants I was wearing Dua fold and some old thinsulate hunting pants. I might be ok with an outer layer I have an old 10X parka, which is gortex with a zip in thinsulate liner and a pair of 10X bibs with thinsulate.
However I still have some cold feet problems, I wear a pair of lod buckmaster boots wityh a thinsulate liner, I've got some of those little silk sox which I wear under my moreino wool sox. Can't seem to find a good pair of sox. I also have a fleece Balacava and weat mittens (walmart special )but pput a pair of thermax gloves on inside. All this ,especially the 10x parka is very heavy and cumberson.
I'm old and not very strong so it wears me down. I have only been out of the hospital 6 weeks after prostate cancer surgery. Do you think this clothing will suffice for low 20's to middle 30's temps with 10 to 15 mph winds ?
I don't wan't to miss deer season completely, Missouri black powder season is on right now and there is no decent hunting near where I live. So I'm headed to the North MO.,Iowa border (275miles, just getting there will bean accomplishment) To hunt the last three days. The weather is lousey there now but should clear by Thursday.
I sincerely appriciate all the good information.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358, I think that your on the right track. The fleece jacket and pants over your polar-tec and under your parka ought to be warm as toast, you probably won't need the Parka unless it rains or gets too windy.
The next thing you should buy is the least expensive. Buy plenty of the disposable foot and hand warmers. Have enough for 2 a day for both feet and hands. But the toe warmers outside your thicker sock and your feet should be good to go. I'm a huge fan a Scnee boots. Don't buy the Arctic model since they are too heavy. Try the Hunter II's and be sure and get them 1/2 size larger than normal. Then wear 2 pairs of thick socks and the toe warmer and your feet will be warmer than ever before. I bought 2 pair of the Cabela's polartec socks but haven't yet tried them out in nasty cold yet. So far I think they are going to be great.
Mittens are warmer than gloves. Gloves are handier. My favorites are a combination of the two - Glommits. I wear a pair of wool or thinsulite liners that are thin enough to have good trigger feel and thin flip the Glommit over them until time to shoot. You can also store the hand warmer in the flip around part of the glommit. When really cold I'll use one of the muffs with a larger handwarmer inside.
As far as hats go I like to use the Filson hat with the fold down ear flaps - you can get them in hunter-orange. In mid cold I wear a neck gaiter that I can pull up to just beneath my nose and around the back of the hat so that all that's exposed is my glasses and nose. If really nasty cold I'll add a fleece balaclava under the hat and over the neck gaiter. In the worst I'll put a hand-warmer on the back of my neck.
I'm a little cold natured so I can identify with your problems. When walking around I can wear little clothing but sometimes I like to stay put for several hours and that's when it's easy to get really cold. But with the right clothing it's fun to be out when it's super cold and still be warm - the deer move more too.

Here's a link to a Balaclava and neck gaiter that I would use:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0027398&navAction=push&navCount=6&indexId=cat470168&parentId=cat470168&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076

These Glomits are very comfortable:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0021066920007a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jhtml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&QueryText=glommits&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Go.x=9&Go.y=8&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=glommits&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

If you need waterproof I've used these gloves and like them but haven't yet tried them in extreme cold yet. They gave pretty good trigger feel:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0027732921321a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jhtml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&QueryText=gloves&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Go.x=13&Go.y=11&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gloves&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

Here's the Polartec socks I've been trying:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0026943901019a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jhtml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&QueryText=polartec+socks&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Go.x=20&Go.y=8&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=polartec+socks&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

The Schnee boots I like:

http://www.schnees.com/
(click on hunting boots and then the Hunter II)

I have 5 pair of Danner boots but I almost always end up hunting in the Schnee's. They are just the warmest and most comfortable (with the right socks).

And last but not least the Filson Hat...

This is the one I wear most, it's very warm and comfortable:
http://www.filson.com/333I.HTM

This is one for extreme conditions, it's even warmer but almost too warm and not as comfortable:
http://www.filson.com/307B.HTM

I hope some of this helps you, please let me know how you like any of the stuff or anything else you find that works well for you. I'm just about as big a warm clothes nut as I am a Gun nut..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.... I liked them but the insulation is 6 oz of polyester. Is this stuff warm enough to sit in on a cold deer stand in Dec. ? I found something comparable in Cabalas fall catalog on pg. 44
Which would be the best for the money ?

I camp in the cold and while layering is the best, you must stay away from any fiber which holds moisture.

The VERY BEST thing I have found is a thick piece of mattress foam. I sleep on the ground in my tent. I have a 4-inch foam mattress and regardless of the cold air temp or the ground temp I sleep like a new-born on flannel sheets...

When I sit for Deer, whether it be on the side of a hill facing into the wind on the ground in a river bottom a thick piece of foam insulates me. Not the plastic covered foam seat or that thick army pad which goes underneath a sleeping bag but FOAM.

Once those fingers of COLD reach out and touch you it's nearly over with, my 4-inch thick foam pad keeps me away from that TOUCH.

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote