New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Feeder Mechanisms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just a word about the On-Time brand of feeders with their lifetime warranty. I just sent one in last week for warranty work (with a check for $12 for S & H). Mailed it on Monday, and it was back on Friday--from San Antonio to Rushton, LA and back--all fixed up. The mechanism was either 4 or 5 years old and has been running 2X per day for that entire period. Guess you could say I'm happy with the service.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Most of the problems are just chaf from the corn. A blast of air once year will do wonders.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it fixed. I have 3 1000 lb feeders. They are made by lehman and I put another brand of timer on them. Each has a solar charger and 12 volt battery. No problem in 5 plus years other than keeping corn in them. I usually put some in them each time I go to the farm. I use 50% corn and 50% protien pellets.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baboon is right on..all of my problems have been eliminated by use of an air blast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously haven't been keeping up with this thread, and just read the latest replies. The On-Time feeder mechanism is enclosed in an aluminum tube about 5" in dia and 12" long. It has a top cover plate that is held on by something like Permatex form-a-gasket, and the timer mechanism and battery sit on a bottom plate that goes up into the tube. It is sealed with rubber gaskets. Point is, I don't think any crud or stuff from the corn can get inside the tube, as it is well-sealed unless the gaskets start to dry-rot after 5 years in the south Tx heat.

We have also replaced a couple of mechanisms with one made by Texas Hunter products out of SA. It is either 6- or 12-volt, with or without solar panel, and the mechanism and battery are enclosed in a heavy duty metal box, about as heavy as a gov't ammo can. They are real slingers--when the 12v one goes off, you had better have your back turned or be behind the truck--it stings.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"